Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 232

Thread: What's Cooking?

  1. #31
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    California mostly.
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    EVOO makes the world a better place, when in doubt EVO it out.

    Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    We should be getting some more in the next month or two, I'll send you some! You'll love it.

  2. #32
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    California mostly.
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    This is a fun thread I hope more people will contribute. Its cool getting new ideas and expand on others. Thanks to everyone for sharing so far!

    Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    Thanks for starting this thread, BPDDC! Yum.

    JP, I want to have dinner at your house! I'm definitely trying your recipes, heavy olive oil flavor is my jam. I get lighter EVOO for cooking, and I have the really heavy stuff that my mom ships me from the West Bank every year after the harvest - it's from our family trees and it's SO good. You have to let it sit for a while to settle. Yum.

    This isn't my recipe (http://littlespicejar.com/one-skille...m-cream-sauce/) but I've made and love it. I subbed whole milk for the heavy cream, and za'atar mix (a blend of dried thyme, sumac, and toasted sesame seeds) for the thyme and dried parsley because that's what I had on hand. And I did the whole thing on the stove top rather than putting it in the oven.

    One Skillet Chicken With Garlicky Mushroom Cream Sauce

    Ingredients
    •4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
    •salt and pepper
    •1 cup chicken broth
    •1 tablespoon minced garlic
    • teaspoon red pepper flakes
    • teaspoon dried thyme
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
    •⅓ cup finely diced shallots (or red onions)
    •2 tablespoons butter
    • cup heavy cream
    •2 tablespoons chopped parsley (or basil)



    Instructions
    1.Using a mallet, pound down the chicken breasts/thighs into inch thickness. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.
    2.In a 2 cup measuring cup or a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and dried thyme.
    3.Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375F.
    4.Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and allow to brown for 3-4 minutes stirring as required to brown both sides. Remove the mushrooms to a plate (use one large enough to remove chicken as well).
    5.Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on medium high heat. Add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side. Don't worry if the chicken isn't cooked completely, we'll finish it in the oven. Remove the chicken to plate.
    6.Reduce the flame to medium, add the shallots to the skillet along with the chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the brown bits are loosened. Let sauce reduce for about 8-10 minutes or until about ⅓ cup of the sauce remains.
    7.When the sauce has thickened, remove from the flame, add the butter and whisk until it melts completely. With the skillet off the flame add the heavy cream and mushrooms, and whisk to combine. Place the skillet back over the flame for just 30 seconds, do not allow the sauce to boil. Remove from heat, add the chicken back into the pan and drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Place the skillet in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Top with chopped parsley or basil and serve warm.

  3. #33
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,719

    Default

    In our household, Brad cooks and I eat lol. I'm a pretty terrible cook. I'll try to get some of his recipes to share!

  4. #34
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    California mostly.
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    I lack imagination when it comes to cooking myself, which is one of the selfish reasons I liked the idea of this thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Purranha View Post
    In our household, Brad cooks and I eat lol. I'm a pretty terrible cook. I'll try to get some of his recipes to share!

  5. #35
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    California mostly.
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    I don't have a recipe to add just yet, but I've been watching Trisha Yearwood for while because she does lots of "Southern Cooking" and I like the Southern Lady Cooks website, she has recipes that come close to Grandmas. I made her 7up cake a couple of times.

  6. #36
    Consumer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert kelluvpearls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    I usually just google for recipes, typing in the ingredients/cooking method and the word recipe and voila!

  7. #37
    First-graft Pearl LBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post
    I don't have a recipe to add just yet, but I've been watching Trisha Yearwood for while because she does lots of "Southern Cooking" and I like the Southern Lady Cooks website, she has recipes that come close to Grandmas. I made her 7up cake a couple of times.
    If you're looking for Grandma's recipes, you do have a Southern Cooking by Mrs. Dull don't you? My Daddy, who was the "chef" in our house (Mom cooked, but Daddy "cooked!") swore by this. I have his old, old copy now. Highly recommended for southern cooking, in fact, I would call it indispensible for southern cooking! None of yer newfangled fusion cuisine here, ya'll!!!
    Last edited by LBoone; 09-28-2016 at 01:04 PM.

  8. #38
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LBoone View Post
    If you're looking for Grandma's recipes, you do have a Southern Cooking by Mrs. Dull don't you? My Daddy, who was the "chef" in our house (Mom cooked, but Daddy "cooked!") swore by this. I have his old, old copy now. Highly recommended for southern cooking, in fact, I would call it indispensible for southern cooking! None of yer newfangled fusion cuisine here, ya'll!!!
    *hopping on Amazon to find a copy*
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

  9. #39
    First-graft Pearl LBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    *hopping on Amazon to find a copy*
    I just looked on Amazon, judging by the cover mine is apparently the 1941 version, available from $4.95 to $968.14 (!!!!!!) for a new copy! Considering the use mine had and it's condition, I think it might be worth $2.95! (But it's priceless to me because it was my paternal Grandmother's copy, and then my Daddy's!)

    I'm seriously thinking of buying one of those newfangled 2006 editions...

  10. #40
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LBoone View Post
    I just looked on Amazon, judging by the cover mine is apparently the 1941 version, available from $4.95 to $968.14 (!!!!!!) for a new copy! Considering the use mine had and it's condition, I think it might be worth $2.95! (But it's priceless to me because it was my paternal Grandmother's copy, and then my Daddy's!)

    I'm seriously thinking of buying one of those newfangled 2006 editions...
    You should scan the pages with all of your family notes on it and sell them for millions of dollars. Just kidding! Kind of...
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

  11. #41
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northeastern Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,692

    Default

    My favorite OLD cookbook on my shelf has a household hints section ... hilarious ... and a medical advice section, as every housekeeper needed a BIG skill set. I kid you not, it contains a "Recipe to resuscitate a drowned person". Cookbook was given to me by a dear old friend and neighbor ... I don't actually cook out of that book
    Cathy

    CathyKeshi

  12. #42
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    I kid you not, it contains a "Recipe to resuscitate a drowned person". Cookbook was given to me by a dear old friend and neighbor ... I don't actually cook out of that book
    Hey, that sounds like a useful recipe!
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

  13. #43
    First-graft Pearl LBoone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    My favorite OLD cookbook on my shelf has a household hints section ... hilarious ... and a medical advice section, as every housekeeper needed a BIG skill set. I kid you not, it contains a "Recipe to resuscitate a drowned person". Cookbook was given to me by a dear old friend and neighbor ... I don't actually cook out of that book
    I inherited another one from Daddy, the Bull Cook and Authentic Historical Recipes and Practices by George Herter. It even tells what to do in case of a Hydrogen bomb attack.

    You NEED this cookbook if you want to know how to make a sandwich like Dora Hand, how Bat Masterson cooked Prairie Dog, or yes, how to survive after a Hydrogen (or Cobalt) bomb attack. I have 2 copies now.....

  14. #44
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Northeastern Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    3,692

    Default

    OOOHHHHH ... George Herter LOL! Funniest and possibly scariest cookbook you'll ever read and a delight! My dad gave us each a copy for Christmas one year, and we had to read aloud. I'm not at all sure any of us made the bacon and pancake sandwich wrapped in leather, tied with string, and tucked in your pocket ... I might also have 2 copies floating around too
    Cathy

    CathyKeshi

  15. #45
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    California mostly.
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    I've been very bad (and very busy) so I've not tried anything too involved or inspiring just yet .
    I am getting into baking treats as a break from studies, which appears to be a stress reliever (the eating not the baking lol)