Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Cooking?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Uh, sorry BlackPearlDudeDC ... my guests don't let the apple crisp linger long enough for a photo LOL ... but I'll try next time. Honestly, though, it's not the most photogenic dish ... it's the heavenly aroma and taste that get you
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Consumer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert kelluvpearls's Avatar

Pictures please? I haven't eaten breakfast yet...

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Dinner tonight:

1 eggplant sliced thinly
    1 sweet onion caramelized
    handfull sundried tomatoes
    handfull pine nuts toasted in EVOO
    roasted garlic cloves
    capers
    green stuffed olives, marinated in vermouth (also good for martinis)
    grated parmesan cheese
    EVOO, about a 1/4 cup total
    Jar of tomato sauce (I like Cento Passata tomato)

Preheat oven to 375
    Slice a whole eggplant into 1/4" thick rounds. Spay with cooking spray and bake in a single layer on a cookie sheet (you can do this on parchment and omit the spray). Pop them into the oven and cook for 5-7 mins per side until they soften.
    Place garlic cloves in EVOO and roast while the eggplant is in the oven.
    Caramelize onions in about 2 tbs of EVOO
    Toast pignoli nuts (pine nuts) in about 1 tbs of EVOO...keep them moving until they are light golden brown.

Coat bottom of roasting dish/glass dish with EVOO. Spoon in jarred sauce to cover about 1/8" depth. Layer eggplant, onions, pine nuts, sundries tomatoes, sliced olives, capers (anything else that you want...anchovies, clams, meatballs, whatever!). Top with more sauce. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese to taste.
    Bake for about 20-30 minutes until the mixture bubbles and the cheese browns on top.
    IMG_3922.jpg

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

JP that looks really really good. I showed a friend and she is in agreement (maybe a new PGer...for the food not the pearls LOL), but she said what is EVOO? I was drinking ice tea and literally spilled all over my jeans, yet again (this only happens when I read PG!) Btw every kitchen should have Pine Nuts!

And because there may be those who do not know...Extra Virgin Olive Oil is EVOO.
    My mother always taught me always buy the "good stuff"...that seems to apply to pearls, vodka and EVOO.

I'm a huge pignoli nut fan...buy em at Costco by the bag!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Vodka eh? That is another thread altogether!

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member perlas's Avatar

Sound delish, everyone! I love desserts so I would like to try Cathy's apple crisp!

Our cook (not mine) served this today for breakfast in bed:

Scrambled eggs with minced mushrooms, onions, and tomato on thin crispy corn puffs with fresh fruits and cold-pressed watermelon juice.

image.jpg

Anyway here's an easy recipe of a dish I did...

Pan-fried Salmon with Truffle Cream Sauce

Ingredients:
    Salmon Fillet
    3 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons sunflower oil
    Salt
    1 cup fresh cream
    1 tablespoon of grated black truffles
    1/4 cup button mushroom
    1 tablespoon of minced sweet onion
    A dash of black pepper
    Sugar (optional)
    Vegetables (your choice)

For the vegetables,
    Steam or sauté vegetables with butter.

For the sauce,
    Heat pan in low fire.
    Once heated melt butter in pan with onions, button mushrooms, salt and black pepper.
    Cook until onions and mushrooms are a bit brown on the edges.
    Add cream and truffles.
    Add a dash of salt and a pinch of sugar to taste

For the fillet,
    Rub a bit of salt in salmon fillet/s.
    Heat pan in medium fire.
    Fry salmon fillet/s in pan with heated sunflower oil (sunflower is healthy for frying). Then add butter while cooking.
    1 minute on on both sides for medium rare, and more time if you want well done.

image.jpg
    ______Perlas
    o-o-o E Unio Plurum o-o-o

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

No surprise that our creative pearl friends are also creative cooks! JP, eggplant is a favorite here; we'll try that Perlas, you had me at fresh watermelon juice ... and that salmon looks divine; I'll make that for Walter, who loves salmon!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member perlas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    No surprise that our creative pearl friends are also creative cooks! JP, eggplant is a favorite here; we'll try that Perlas, you had me at fresh watermelon juice ... and that salmon looks divine; I'll make that for Walter, who loves salmon!
    Here's an east trick for salmon.... You can buy the smoked thin fillets then you can make salmon tartare, or a salmon sushi cake, or a salmon open faced sandwich. I got from the Mediterranean that salmon works well with avocado and I experimented and it also works well with mango. So for the tartare, you can mixed it with diced mango or avocado or as a topping together with your salmon in a sandwich or as an additional layer in your sushi....

My salmon sushi cake:
    image.jpg

The salmon tartare:
    image.jpg

And a salmon open-faced sandwich:
    image.jpg
    ______Perlas
    o-o-o E Unio Plurum o-o-o

Consumer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert kelluvpearls's Avatar

Delicious food and look pretty neatly too, thanks guys for sharing your recipes.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Wow, all I can say now is...yummmmmm!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Wow .... I'm definitely showing up on either doorstep for dinner !! ( or lunch or breakfast...I dont mind)

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Thanks for starting this thread, BPDDC! Yum.

JP, I want to have dinner at your house! I'm definitely trying your recipes, heavy olive oil flavor is my jam. I get lighter EVOO for cooking, and I have the really heavy stuff that my mom ships me from the West Bank every year after the harvest - it's from our family trees and it's SO good. You have to let it sit for a while to settle. Yum.

This isn't my recipe (http://littlespicejar.com/one-skille...m-cream-sauce/) but I've made and love it. I subbed whole milk for the heavy cream, and za'atar mix (a blend of dried thyme, sumac, and toasted sesame seeds) for the thyme and dried parsley because that's what I had on hand. And I did the whole thing on the stove top rather than putting it in the oven.

One Skillet Chicken With Garlicky Mushroom Cream Sauce

Ingredients
    •4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or thighs)
    •salt and pepper
    •1 cup chicken broth
    •1 tablespoon minced garlic
    •½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
    •½ teaspoon dried thyme
    •2 tablespoons olive oil
    •8 ounces baby bella (cremini) mushrooms, sliced
    •⅓ cup finely diced shallots (or red onions)
    •2 tablespoons butter
    •¼ cup heavy cream
    •2 tablespoons chopped parsley (or basil)

Instructions
    1.Using a mallet, pound down the chicken breasts/thighs into ½ inch thickness. Sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides of the chicken.
    2.In a 2 cup measuring cup or a small bowl, combine the chicken broth, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, and dried thyme.
    3.Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 375ºF.
    4.Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and allow to brown for 3-4 minutes stirring as required to brown both sides. Remove the mushrooms to a plate (use one large enough to remove chicken as well).
    5.Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil on medium high heat. Add the chicken and allow to brown on both sides for 2-3 minutes per side. Don't worry if the chicken isn't cooked completely, we'll finish it in the oven. Remove the chicken to plate.
    6.Reduce the flame to medium, add the shallots to the skillet along with the chicken broth mixture. Using a whisk, scrape the bottom of the pan so all the brown bits are loosened. Let sauce reduce for about 8-10 minutes or until about ⅓ cup of the sauce remains.
    7.When the sauce has thickened, remove from the flame, add the butter and whisk until it melts completely. With the skillet off the flame add the heavy cream and mushrooms, and whisk to combine. Place the skillet back over the flame for just 30 seconds, do not allow the sauce to boil. Remove from heat, add the chicken back into the pan and drizzle the sauce over the chicken. Place the skillet in the oven for 5-8 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Top with chopped parsley or basil and serve warm.
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

You have me at heavy....I live for EVOO...but no trees in my family, unfortunately.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    You have me at heavy....I live for EVOO...but no trees in my family, unfortunately.
    We should be getting some more in the next month or two, I'll send you some! You'll love it.
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures