Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast

Thread: What's Cooking?

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

BlackPearlDudeDC, can I just say how fun it was to re-read about Christmas Posole again??? I’d just gotten off the phone with my dear daughter, and we’d decided on the same menu this year ! Son-in-law, advance life support paramediic, drew duty this year for ... Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day AND Christmas Day ... so we’ll make him and his crew plenty of treats, and it will be pj’s, seafood nibbles and posole for the rest of us. Now ... Desserts ... hmmm ...? I know I’m making 2 kinds of cookies: Hot Chocolate Thumbprint cookies topped with ganache and crushed peppermints or tiny marshmallows, and Meyer Lemon Pizzelle Cookies. Maybe some little pots of Lemon Posset to dip the Pizzelle in?
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

CK thanks for responding. If I remember correctly didn't SIL have to work last Thanksgiving too? I forget our conversation last year about Xmas though. I am jealous of the treats the crew will get! Just reading your post has made me hungry all over again and I just finished breakfast...if I'm being honest its activated my sweet tooth LOL. I am practicing self-control. Those Hot Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies with ganache, crushed peppermint and marshmallows did it! I almost gave in to the Chocolate Peppermint Bark at WS but I am feeling grinchy about spending that much on something I can make, so also toying with the idea of making my own. Two years ago one of my best friends made some from scratch and gave them out for holiday treats.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    BlackPearlDudeDC, can I just say how fun it was to re-read about Christmas Posole again??? I’d just gotten off the phone with my dear daughter, and we’d decided on the same menu this year ! Son-in-law, advance life support paramediic, drew duty this year for ... Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day AND Christmas Day ... so we’ll make him and his crew plenty of treats, and it will be pj’s, seafood nibbles and posole for the rest of us. Now ... Desserts ... hmmm ...? I know I’m making 2 kinds of cookies: Hot Chocolate Thumbprint cookies topped with ganache and crushed peppermints or tiny marshmallows, and Meyer Lemon Pizzelle Cookies. Maybe some little pots of Lemon Posset to dip the Pizzelle in?
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

Ah ... thanks for the reminder about the Bark! Secret tip ... make it 3 layers (THIN layers) ... and the middle layer is ganache. Still pricey but you can make a lot more for your money, it’s easy, and the taste ... you’ll never go back to WS again. Tip #2: Box it all up into nice candy boxes tied with pretty ribbons, ready for gift giving ... because if it’s just sitting around loose ...er ...
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

I might be spoiled here and ask you to PM me your recipe? Is that asking too much? Plus I am greedy...I don't think I would share, so no bark sitting around, I mean it is the holidays and I am deserving LOL!

Ah ... thanks for the reminder about the Bark! Secret tip ... make it 3 layers (THIN layers) ... and the middle layer is ganache. Still pricey but you can make a lot more for your money, it’s easy, and the taste ... you’ll never go back to WS again. Tip #2: Box it all up into nice candy boxes tied with pretty ribbons, ready for gift giving ... because if it’s just sitting around loose ...er ...
    No, Midge said, I take it back. I wouldnt get a mink coat the first thing. Know what Id do? Id get a string of pearls. Real pearls. Yes, Annabel said, slowly. I think thats a kind of a good idea. And it would make sense, too. Because you can wear pearls with anything.

I’ll see if I can locate the official recipe Due to losing my iPad, my MacBook taking a fatal nose dive, and Walter’s boat needing more considerable repairs, I’m down to ... a cell phone screen, and Apple’s replaced that at their cost 3 times since August ... I’m practicing patience, ... No photo flipping, no new pearls, internet activities limited to how long my eyes can make sense of this tiny screen ... SIGH. Ah, rant over, begging forgiveness, and off to find the recipe
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Well I'm was off to bed but now I want chocolate bark..... and cookies...

Cathy those cookies sound wonderful...but I had to look up the Pizzelle ( I spelled it wrong in my search.... did you know that a Pizzlie is a cross between a Polar Bear and a Grizzly ... I did assume you weren't talking about that.. ) They are so pretty !! And I definitely want the ones with the Chocolate !!!!
    Your dinner sounds wonderful !!

My son, Andy, is a Paramedic ( here it's a 4 yr degree .. they are like advanced paramedics) and he and his doctor wife both have to work on Christmas and the day after... so they are coming for Champagne and lobster at 8:30 pm .

Pearl Journalist Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

One trick when you only have a cell phone - take a photo(s) of the recipe instead of trying to type it out on the little screen.
    GemGeek
    The World Is My Oyster!

I did not know you were facing the tech challenges so that explains why we don't see you as much these days. I sure hope the boat gets fixed so you guys can do more adventuring in the new year, not a fun way to end the year but you two are very resourceful LOL you probably have tons of other adventures lined up! I also hope the phone gets sorted out. I can't tell you how many phones I've been through....it gets quite tiring. I finally bought a Samsung Galaxy and kept it for years, so stubborn I kept it till it fell apart (literally) because I refused to keep buying new phones...I switched from iPhone to Samsung...and I've sort of regretted it, but with all of the issues iPhones are facing, I'm back to being stubborn and not wanting a new phone, though I need it.

Thanks again for the PM recipe and all that typing very much appreciate the share! Let's see if it gets pulled out of the hat.

I’ll see if I can locate the official recipe Due to losing my iPad, my MacBook taking a fatal nose dive, and Walter’s boat needing more considerable repairs, I’m down to ... a cell phone screen, and Apple’s replaced that at their cost 3 times since August ... I’m practicing patience, ... No photo flipping, no new pearls, internet activities limited to how long my eyes can make sense of this tiny screen ... SIGH. Ah, rant over, begging forgiveness, and off to find the recipe

Lobster and Champagne? Now I find this interesting, over here after TG, I hate repeating Turkey and/or ham so soon after. This is a very interesting idea indeed, well one I had not thought of.. as I've slowly venture away from family foodie traditions LOL.

Btw- I knew about the Grizzly/Polar Bear mating. I am ashamed to admit I am an animal geek too. The theory behind this bear pairing is quite interesting. We have a resident pearl loving Biologist here though, I am curious to hear her thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    Well I'm was off to bed but now I want chocolate bark..... and cookies...

Cathy those cookies sound wonderful...but I had to look up the Pizzelle ( I spelled it wrong in my search.... did you know that a Pizzlie is a cross between a Polar Bear and a Grizzly ... I did assume you weren't talking about that.. ) They are so pretty !! And I definitely want the ones with the Chocolate !!!!
    Your dinner sounds wonderful !!

My son, Andy, is a Paramedic ( here it's a 4 yr degree .. they are like advanced paramedics) and he and his doctor wife both have to work on Christmas and the day after... so they are coming for Champagne and lobster at 8:30 pm .
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 12-06-2018 at 07:02 PM.

Blair you are brilliant ... although I read your great idea AFTER I typed the recipe into the cell for BlackPearlDudeDC lol. The Peppermint Bark recipe only has a few ingredients, but a bunch of directions ... most of which come down to: Don’t burn the chocolate, don’t get one drop of water in it ... I can’t find a way to attach PDF to private messages here, only photos.

Katbran .. Bears! I love Bears!!! One fine October, in VA, we saw a fat momma bear snuffling the ground for acorns in the red gold leaves. Her 2 big fat cubs were way at the top of a tree, on bendy branches to thin to hold them, trying to get the last high hickory nuts. Momma bear looked up from the forest floor at the delighted humans frantically snapping photos of all this adorableness, gave a little huff as if to say “I’m DONE with those overgrown teens, you can have them if you want” ... and continued on with her acorn hunt ... it was a magic moment every mom understood lol ...

Yes, techno issues 100%, NOT pearl fatigue . After extensive testing by Apple Engineering we’ve all decided the phone issue is really a Verizon issue; and they don’t care. The rest will get solved, in time.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

CK- I feel very spoiled by your kindness in sharing and writing it up (and could easily get used to that...so fair warning for future) but I do thank you for taking the time to respond to me, the thread and sharing the recipe.

I really liked the "Hat" idea I came up with ( your recipe up the chances for a better dessert), it seemed like the fairest way to choose/select which treat to make, I just hope it isn't rice crispy treats (not my idea).

Blair you are brilliant ... although I read your great idea AFTER I typed the recipe into the cell for BlackPearlDudeDC lol. The Peppermint Bark recipe only has a few ingredients, but a bunch of directions ... most of which come down to: Don’t burn the chocolate, don’t get one drop of water in it ... I can’t find a way to attach PDF to private messages here, only photos.

My pleasure to share BlackPearlDudeDC ... anytime!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

So I've discovered (new to me) Blue Diamond "Nut-thin" crackers made of nuts, almond and or rice flour. Brilliant play on words, but they are yummy too.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

BPDDC- Well we don't worry about Thanksgiving unless everyone is going to be available ... so no Turkey or Ham overload. But it can easily be 100 F here at Christmas so hot food isn't as appealing. Cold seafood and Champers is the way to go ...

CathyK - Bears! You saw bears ! (I know MSC sees them ) Aren't baby bears the cutest thing ever !

I've always associated the holidays with cold weather, snow and sweaters...until I moved to CA. It still feels odd to me for the Holidays to come around and not having the snow or at least the threat of snow like on the East coast. I told mom well here in Cali we get to drive to the hot away from the cold weather or drive to the colder weather to escape the heat. I used to go up to the mountains around the Holidays just so we'd have that East coast feeling for the Holidays, the only difference no Turkey or Hams we'd try and do a bit of meal hopping to change things up. But over time the drive seemed longer and longer every year...I don't suppose that has anything to do with me getting older now does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Katbran View Post
    BPDDC- Well we don't worry about Thanksgiving unless everyone is going to be available ... so no Turkey or Ham overload. But it can easily be 100 F here at Christmas so hot food isn't as appealing. Cold seafood and Champers is the way to go ...

CathyK - Bears! You saw bears ! (I know MSC sees them ) Aren't baby bears the cutest thing ever !