Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Cooking?

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

Default What's Cooking?

We've been sharing recipe ideas in an unrelated thread so we thought we should start a post here for others to share their favorite recipes. Don't forget to add the pics of the finished product

CathyKeshi's "Javanese Omelet"

Frittatas are really nice. My best recipe is called a "Javanese Omelet", and came from a somewhat scary old paperback cookbook from the 70's that I found in a used bookstore. Only recipe I dare use from that book LOL. No crust, and best made in a cast iron frying pan with some depth to it, although other pans will work.

Step 1: Lightly butter or olive oil the pan and put on medium/medium low heat.

Step 2: Slice an onion thinly into rounds. Keeping each onion slice together, make one layer of onion slices in the pan. Add on top slices of good tomato, again one layer thick. Next, herbs, salt, pepper etc. for seasoning.

Step 3: Mix a basic scrambled egg mixture as you like it; whisk the eggs, a bit of milk or cream, a bit os seasonings. Just eyeball the amount based on the size of your pan.

Step 4: When you begin to smell the onions cooking (about the time it takes to get the eggs ready +/-), GENTLY pour the egg mixture over the tomatoes and onions etc. in the bottom of the pan, not disturbing your vegetable layers.

Step 5: Lower the heat QUITE low, cover the pan, and let cook without disturbing, till the eggs are set and your kitchen smells amazing. This will take a while, don't rush it and burn those eggs ... read a book, enjoy some music or go look at your pearls Turn off the heat, and let rest for 10 minutes or so.

Step 6: Lay a plate over the pan, and flip the pan over onto the plate to turn out your omelet to show off the caramelized onions. Add salad, good bread, adult beverages as needed and enjoy.

This makes a lovely supper or brunch. Feel free to add other vegetables, a bit of cheese etc. as you like; fresh chopped green chili's are a favorite here. It's an easy dish that doesn't need a lot of tending once you add the eggs and cover the pan, but there's something about the onions on the bottom, caramelizing in a bit of butter or olive oil and simmering in the juices released from the tomatoes, mixing into the egg that seeps down, that takes this out of the ordinary. This has nothing to do with pearls, except ... Walter really loves this dish for supper LOL.

GemGeek's "Spinach & Goat Cheese Frittata"

Thank you. I have made many revisions over time.

Caramalize onions, add roasted red peppers, add chopped spinach until wilted, remove from heat. Prep shredded Costco roasted chicken, crumbled goat cheese and finely shredded mozzarella cheese.

Crack 12 -14 eggs into a large bowl. Add salt, pepper and heavy cream and beat well. Stir in the cooled ingredients and mix well. Melt a half stick of unsalted butter in a heavy nonstick 13 x 9 pan.

Pour in the egg mixture. Sprinkle chicken, then goat cheese, then mozzarella. Bake at 350 unil golden brown and puffed. Cool before cutting.

A FRITTATA.jpg
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 09-19-2016 at 04:17 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Ooh...these sounds good!

Here's my favorite (and so easy) pasta dish:

1 lb. pasta of choice (I like to use penne, but this can be made with any type)
    1 large container of fresh tomatoes (cherry, grape, mini heirloom...when not produced in the garden, I buy the mixed bowl of tomatoes from Costco; you can also use a large can of diced Italian plum tomatoes)
    6-10 cloves of garlic (not heads...that would be a lot of garlic!)
    1/4 cup Extra Virgin olive oil (use the really good stuff, flavor is amazing)
    1 package of fresh mozzarella pearls (the smallest little ball shapes you can find, although you can also use a large ball diced into 1/2 inch pieces)
    basil (fresh is best, but dried will do...to taste...I like a lot)
    1 sweet onion

Boil the pasta according to package directions...while the water is boiling, prepare the pasta topping in a large sauté pan. Pan should be large enough to hold contents with pasta.

Chop up the garlic (you can use a press) and place into the 1/4 cup of olive oil. Set aside.

Rinse the tomatoes, and slice them in half or quarters depending on their size. Cherries and grapes are halved, small tomatoes are quartered.
    Heat sauté pan over medium heat. Slice onion into very thin shreds...I usually quarter then slice, again up to you!
    Add 2 tablespoons of the garlic infused EVOO, avoid garlic pieces use just oil.
    Add onions and cook until golden caramel in color
    Add garlic from EVOO to pan, trying not to add too much extra oil. Lightly brown the garlic...do not over cook as garlic will become bitter if you do.
    Add the tomatoes and stir. Place lid on top and lower heat to simmer, while pasta cooks (about 10 mins). Stir occasionally. If it seems like you need more liquid, you can add chicken stock or even white wine (you will need to simmer off alcohol)
    Drain pasta, toss into pan with tomatoes. Remove from heat.
    Add mozzarella pearls and basil, salt and pepper to taste. Toss again. Place a lid on the pan while you set your table...pasta should rest for about 3-5 minutes.
    Serve with good crusty Italian bread and red wine. Use the EVOO infused with garlic for dipping with your bread...you can add Italian herbs, a little salt, red pepper flakes.

If you want a real treat, add some more garlic to the EVOO and drizzle a loaf, sliced into two lengthwise pieces, with the garlic and EVOO. Top with grated asiago or other hard cheese. Pop under the broiler until the bread is toasted and the cheese is browned.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Another really easy pasta...for anchovy lovers...

Use 1lb of your favorite pasta
    1 tin of anchovies (you can also use a glass jar of anchovies, but they are more difficult to find) with oil
    6-10 cloves of garlic
    4 tbs EVOO
    Grated parmesan cheese

Boil pasta per directions
    Chop garlic and mix with EVOO
    Heat sauté pan, stir in garlic EVOO mixture. Brown garlic but do not overcook/burn as taste will be bitter. You want a nice light golden tan on your garlic.
    Open anchovies and add them to the sauté pan. Do not drain or rinse the anchovies. Stir with a spoon until the anchovies melt into the oil and garlic.
    Turn off heat
    Add pasta to pan and toss.

Garnish with fresh Italian parsley and grated cheese.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Thanks for starting this thread, BlackPearlDudeDC!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Luvglitz's Avatar

What an amazing forum. Not only do I get see gorgeous pearls and learn about them, I also am also able to get good recipes. Wow!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pareltje's Avatar

Any recipes which incorporate pearl meat?

LOL, Pareltje ... I was wondering who'd be the first to post a Mussel or Clam recipe ... first step must be: "Open all clams and mussels and check carefully for pearls. Proceed to step 2 ..."
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Hope this works; I've never tried to attach a PDF before. Apple Crisp!

Apple Crisp CathyKeshi.pdf

I was hoping the Recipe would also open in the post, but no. So if you want to click and download, use the PDF. Here's the short version of the recipe without my notes, in case you can't open the PDF.

Apple Crisp
    7 or 8 Large Flavorful Apples, Peeled, Cored, and sliced
    1 Cup All Purpose Flour
    1/2 Cup (1 Stick) Butter
    1/4 Cup Dark Brown Sugar
    3/4 Cup White Sugar
    1 Teaspoon Cinnamon

In a food processor, or with a pastry blender, blend together flour, butter, sugars and cinnamon into coarse, moist crumbs. Layer apples in a baking pan, sprinkle crumbs on top, add some extra cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees, until apples are soft, juices are bubbly, the topping is browning a bit, and your kitchen smells heavenly. If the topping is getting too brown and the apples aren’t soft yet, just turn the heat down to 325 degrees or so and bake a bit longer. Cool a bit and serve alone, or with ice cream and/or whipped cream.
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pareltje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CathyKeshi View Post
    LOL, Pareltje ... I was wondering who'd be the first to post a Mussel or Clam recipe ... first step must be: "Open all clams and mussels and check carefully for pearls. Proceed to step 2 ..."
    LOL Cathy! I was also thinking who's going to post a recipe of conch fritters.

I HAVE to try this!!! Five of my favorite foods in one dish!!! (I love anchovies so much that a local Italian restaurant where we used to eat would bring me a small dish of extra anchovy fillets to add to my Caesar salad....)

Thanks for posting this!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Another really easy pasta...for anchovy lovers...

Use 1lb of your favorite pasta
    1 tin of anchovies (you can also use a glass jar of anchovies, but they are more difficult to find) with oil
    6-10 cloves of garlic
    4 tbs EVOO
    Grated parmesan cheese

Boil pasta per directions
    Chop garlic and mix with EVOO
    Heat sauté pan, stir in garlic EVOO mixture. Brown garlic but do not overcook/burn as taste will be bitter. You want a nice light golden tan on your garlic.
    Open anchovies and add them to the sauté pan. Do not drain or rinse the anchovies. Stir with a spoon until the anchovies melt into the oil and garlic.
    Turn off heat
    Add pasta to pan and toss.

Garnish with fresh Italian parsley and grated cheese.

Here is a bean salad that I adapted from a Weight Watcher's recipe. Weight Watchers adapted it from Dos Caminos restaurant. Hubby LOVES it. I serve it chilled as a side with fajitas. Since there are only 2 of us, there is always enough left for another day. Heated up it makes a great burrito filling..... Also good added to a tossed salad!

Dos Camino’s Ayocate Bean Salad

2 cup(s) canned black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 can diced tomatoes, well drained (I use the small dice)
    1 cup(s) frozen corn kernels, or fresh, grilled ( I used Trader Joe's frozen Roasted Corn)
    1 cup(s) uncooked red onion(s)
    1⁄2 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
    2 Tbsp jalapeño pepper(s), seeded and minced
    2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
    1 Tbsp chili powder, ancho variety
    1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    1⁄4 tsp table salt

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; let sit 20 minutes for flavors to blend. Toss just before serving.

Here's a link to how Dos Caminos serves it: http://www.wellandgood.com/good-food...y-naked-tacos/

The deal is you have to post a pic of your dish
    Quote Originally Posted by LBoone View Post
    I HAVE to try this!!! Five of my favorite foods in one dish!!! (I love anchovies so much that a local Italian restaurant where we used to eat would bring me a small dish of extra anchovy fillets to add to my Caesar salad....)

Thanks for posting this!!

When I make this, I will. Notice I said "when" and not "if."

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPearlDudeDC View Post
    The deal is you have to post a pic of your dish