Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mochiko42 View Post
    New pearl collector here (I blame DK!). I started the course yesterday (Thank you Jeremy, I learned about it via your POJ email newsletter) and have completed the freshwater pearl section thus far (Sect 1-3). I was surprised by what I already knew, but enjoyed learning more about the history and background, especially for Lake Biwa and Kasumigaura pearls (as I own a pair of Japanese Kasumi pearls). It is a great resource and I am looking forward to continuing the course.
    Hello Mochiko - welcome to the forum! I don't post, but I do lurk and browse the CS forum on PS! I saw some of your buuuuuuutiful rings there! Look forward to seeing your pearls here.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pareltje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    It's definitely not automated. I spoke with him this morning and he has been getting everyone's emails, but he's been getting a lot. That's not a bad thing There are about 500 people taking the course right now. Once completion is verified, and actual certificate is going to mailed out. I would expect it to be 4-5 days.

I encouraged him to set up a new email address specific for the course certification with an auto-responder letting everyone know that the certificate will be mailed in 4-5 days.
    Also quoting ennui: I'm guessing that someone needs to verify that we actually took the course and passed the exams. I'm hoping that the certificate is not automatic!
    My question:
    What is the minimum percentage to pass the test?
    What if somebody fails the exam? Will she/he be given a second chance to redo the test?

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Nope. It is not automated.

You guys are a bit ahead of the curve, lol. We are trying to sort out some of these questions now.

In order to pass the exam, you need to score at least 80 percent, or 28 out of 35. If you don't pass, you'll be able to go back and retake it after 24 hours.

I've never built a school before, so this is still evolving!

Nope. It is not automated.

You guys are a bit ahead of the curve, lol. We are trying to sort out some of these questions now.

In order to pass the exam, you need to score at least 80 percent, or 28 out of 35. If you don't pass, you'll be able to go back and retake it after 24 hours.

I've never built a school before, so this is still evolving!
    Jeremy,
    The problem here is that I jumped directly to take the final exam and still obtained 30/35. Then I read the whole course and watched the films. Sure I had read many blogs and info on PG before. How is that? I think the questions for final exam shouldn't be too general. I thought it was euh... a bit too easy. If you want to get a certificate, you should know your stuff well, no?
    Last edited by Pareltje; 09-13-2016 at 04:04 PM.

You have to take the quizzes too. You won't pass all of those without reading the course, and we can see who has actually taken the course and who hasn't and even any sections that we're skipped. I am sure nearly every member here could pass the GIA final exam without taking the actual course, but that would only be cheating themselves.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

My final exam score has disappeared. It's showing that I completed it (with a check mark), but when I popped back in to make sure I had gotten 80% (which I'm sure I did), there's no mark and the exam is able to be taken again. Should I be worried, or is this just a side effect of new info being posted in that section?

Quote Originally Posted by cmd2014 View Post
    My final exam score has disappeared. It's showing that I completed it (with a check mark), but when I popped back in to make sure I had gotten 80% (which I'm sure I did), there's no mark and the exam is able to be taken again. Should I be worried, or is this just a side effect of new info being posted in that section?
    Sorry about that. We still have the results, but we are working on the final right now. We are trying to change the notification method so it becomes automated and you don't have to email Bo after finishing it.

You have to take the quizzes too. You won't pass all of those without reading the course, and we can see who has actually taken the course and who hasn't and even any sections that we're skipped. I am sure nearly every member here could pass the GIA final exam without taking the actual course, but that would only be cheating themselves.
    Jeremy,
    Thanks for your info. I understood the information is going to be updated from time to time. Do I have to do the quizzes and the exam again?
    I thought it would be great if you also include the making of huge Tahitian keshi, which I believed was dubbed the blowroque. That's a tech by itself.
    Or how to measure the thickness of the nacre. I think there was a separate thread about it on PG. It's just my idea....
    Last edited by Pareltje; 09-13-2016 at 06:42 PM.

Yes, content will be updated and added. I have mentioned to the board I would like to eventually have an education chair position within the CPAA. That person would be responsible for adding content and answering questions posted in the comment sections, needing only my oversight and not every night and weekend of my time (Hisano wants me back, lol). There are new sections planned on things like Burmese South Sea pearls and pearl treatments.

The new sections won't be required for the certificate if people have already received one, but we will send emails to everyone from Pearl as One as the new sections appear on the course.

Bo just sent me the first list of people who have certificates on the way! Congratulations CathyKeshi on 100% across the board!

If you're logging in and see that you've only completed 99%, it may be because we added a welcome letter to the introduction module.

Yes, content will be updated and added. I have mentioned to the board I would like to eventually have an education chair position within the CPAA. That person would be responsible for adding content and answering questions posted in the comment sections, needing only my oversight and not every night and weekend of my time (Hisano wants me back, lol). There are new sections planned on things like Burmese South Sea pearls and pearl treatments.

The new sections won't be required for the certificate if people have already received one, but we will send emails to everyone from Pearl as One as the new sections appear on the course.

Bo just sent me the first list of people who have certificates on the way! Congratulations CathyKeshi on 100% across the board!

If you're logging in and see that you've only completed 99%, it may be because we added a welcome letter to the introduction module.
    I'd like to see Eyris pearl added to the course as well LOL, Jeremy please bear with me

Quote Originally Posted by hanadama View Post
    Yay Mochiko! I finished the course yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Also please post your gorgeous pearls here!

PS it's ricezo/Siameseroo : )
    Hi! Good to see you here

Yes I will post some photos later, once I get the hang of this forum. I registered a few months back but haven't got around to posting until now.

I just watched the video about Tahitian pearls and it was interesting and well produced. I think with a bit more touching up it could go on PBS or one of the cable TV nature channels!

Quote Originally Posted by Purranha View Post
    Hello Mochiko - welcome to the forum! I don't post, but I do lurk and browse the CS forum on PS! I saw some of your buuuuuuutiful rings there! Look forward to seeing your pearls here.
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed the posts of my gemstone jewelry on the CS forum! I hope to post some of my pearls here later: I only have a small collection but it's steadily growing (to the dismay of my husband, lol)..

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Aw, thanks Jeremy I really LOVED the entire course, and look forward to more content as it becomes available ... this is just such a wonderful opportunity for us! Anything I can do to help, you know where to find me ... we know Hisano needs you back
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

Is the final exam being redone? It may just be my computer, but I keep getting a "sorry, we can't find this page" message when I try to access it.
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Quote Originally Posted by battah View Post
    Is the final exam being redone? It may just be my computer, but I keep getting a "sorry, we can't find this page" message when I try to access it.
    Yes. We've moved it to a new page. Try refreshing or logging out and deleting your cache. We decided to use a new program for the final that automates the emails to the CPAA so people don't have to email asking for their certificate. We are trying to set it up so when someone passes the final, an email is sent to the CPAA that confirms the score and a PDF of the certificate is sent to the student so they get an immediate copy while they are waiting for the real one in the mail.