Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

Default Inked: PG Edition

Anyone else here like tattoos? I know Sheri does bc she shared her super awesome Octo ink in the other thread

Here's my most recent work and my favorite:
    IMG_7301.jpg

I got this one done by a friend last summer in SLC, she's fantastic and did an excellent job. I'm hoping to go out and visit and get another one done by her next year This one is based on the 1799 botanical specimen plate of violets that is next to the actual ink work. I got it done as an homage to my mom who loves the color purple and who has memory issues. On the side is my mom's favorite word "joyful," part of which comprises my middle name. I'm the first born and my mom would always tell me that when I was born I was her joy in the world. I like to keep that thought close. <3

Okay, let's see your ink and hear your stories! I think this'll be a fun thread!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert battah's Avatar

That's beautiful! I love the meaning behind it.

I actually have one in the works - a calligraphy artist is working on a design of my kids' names in Arabic (my family is from the Middle East), which I'm going to have placed on the palm of a Fatima's hand. I found a great henna artist to work that part up for me as well, once the calligraphy is done. I used to do henna art in college and really loved it, and the Fatima's hand is a sign of protection, so I wanted to work in all of those elements. Not sure whether I'm going to incorporate color, possibly some evil eye-warding blue?
    Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

That sounds beautiful, battah! Henna work is so beautiful. I had it done when my best friend got married a few years back (her husband is from Morocco). I was so sad when it faded!
    Can't wait to see it as a finished piece. I hope you'll post the sketch ups

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Ooh, beautiful! I love violets motifs.

In fact, I have a collection of assorted vintage English bone china and occupied Japan porcelain teacups, all with violets. I used to collect them when my D was young. Her middle name is Joy, and for the same reason.

What a small world, PD! I'd love to see your collection. I have only one piece of vintage English bone china and it has a violet motif. It's my little bed table jewelry box. I love that it's got a botanical specimen drawing on it even though it's just transferware. I'd love to find a hand painted version of this one:
    IMG_7321.jpg

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

I'm not a tattoo fan, but your violets botanical specimens tattoo is one of the prettiest tattoos I've ever seen. I have a lot of birthmarks and several scars. I would love to have perfectly smooth, clear, unmarked skin.

MSC, at risk of hijacking your thread, I grabbed some shots for your viewing pleasure. I sized photos small but this will give you an idea! If you want larger photos of anything in particular just ask.

I never collected china -- or violets specifically-- until my D was a baby and my H wanted to browse antique shops on weekends for his pocket knife collection. I had no interest in antiques, but went along to keep him company, but was bored! One day I found a pretty cup I liked, and that started it. Shopping for violets gave me something to look for and kept me sane! I stopped collecting these long ago and have given many away, but I still have a lot.

First, the Villeroy & Boch "Botanica" pieces. (Botanica is our dish set.) The lasagna pan and sandwich tray are Viola odorata; the souffle dish is Aristolochia serpentaria and the tea pot is Aquilegia vulgaris. All a nice purple!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-23-2016 at 08:43 PM.

Next the tea cups, tea pots, sugar/creamer, and pitchers on my shelves in the dining room and kitchen. The 4 demitasse ones on the mirror shelf are Rossetti "Spring Violets" from occupied Japan. They are all a bit different from each other-- the handle, the pedestal or feet vary.
    And that apron is...violets, what else?
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-23-2016 at 08:44 PM.

Coming down the finish line...

The heart shaped box and spoon rest are Seymour Mann Victorian Violets.
    The cup and saucer and two small dishes are Hammersley Victorian Violets.
    The bell is Lefton.

In the second photo there are a thimble and demitasse cup by Hammersley, egg cups, sugar and creamer, and Queen Anne "Sweet Violets" cup and saucer.

I think there may be a few other items lurking in my china cabinet but that is enough!

Are you a tea drinker, MSC?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-23-2016 at 08:54 PM.

How pretty, PD! That is an amazing collection; I especially like your service set, really really nice. I have a soft spot for old faunal and floral specimen plates. I'm going to have to look that one up. I am indeed a tea drinker and I just love this version of thread jacking

Thank you so much, BWeaves! I'm only a fan of tattoos on women, I think they look terrible on men for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by BWeaves View Post
    I'm not a tattoo fan, but your violets botanical specimens tattoo is one of the prettiest tattoos I've ever seen. I have a lot of birthmarks and several scars. I would love to have perfectly smooth, clear, unmarked skin.

MSC, although Villeroy and Boch discontinued "Botanica" in 2005, there are a ton of pieces on eBay, many new or nearly new. It's a very pleasant set to use. The dishes are sturdy without being heavy, and the glaze is thick. We love them. I also love that the set includes so many different botanical images-- the different size plates have different flowers, too.

My first set was Royal Worcester "Evesham Gold" (painted fruits and vegetables) but we don't use it as much due to the gold edge not being microwave safe.

LOL PD, first place I went to after seeing your set was ebay Etsy also has a lot of pieces!

Ha ha! I foresee some Botanica in your future.

Be aware that some people didn't like the roots in the image so there are plates that have the same transfer but without roots. To me they seem incomplete, but to each his own.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 06-23-2016 at 09:32 PM.

That would look incomplete to me as well and would probably drive my OCD crazy!