Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Default Pure Pearls Pearl Size Comparison Guide

Sometimes something is too good not to share. The pearl size comparison guide from PurePearls.com is simply outstanding and should really help people who want to purchase pearls, but need to understand what the size measurement really means.

I recommend that you click HERE for the entire guide, but I will post parts of it here on Pearl Guide.

Used with permission:

By Ashley McNamara for Pure Pearls
    The Ultimate Pearl Comparison Guide

"What size of pearl should I buy?"

A: This is by far the most common question I get, and for good reason. Pearl size is one of the key factors affecting the price and also one of the first things to be noticed. While there is no definitive answer to this question, I believe this guide will help you find the perfect size of pearl for you and your budget.

The Most Popular Size Pearl Necklaces and Earrings

Before we go any farther, you should know that the most popular, classic and versatile pearl necklaces are in the 7.0-8.0mm size range. The 7.0-8.0mm size range is widely acknowledged to be the "go-anywhere" size, perfect for nights out, office wear or even a quick trip to the grocery store in a T-shirt and jeans. This size range is also age-appropriate for ladies from 16 years old up through women in their 50's, so these are necklaces that will be worn and enjoyed for many, many years. In this size range you have two options:

1. Japanese Akoya pearls are measured in half-mm increments (i.e. 6.0-6.5mm, 7.0-7.5mm, and up) and the most popular size of Akoya pearl necklace is 7.0-7.5mm.

2. Freshwater pearls are measured in 1.0mm increments (i.e. 6.0-7.0mm, 7.0-8.0mm and so on), and the most popular size of Freshwater pearl necklace is 7.0-8.0mm

For a classic pearl stud earring, the same 7.0-8.0mm size range is also our most popular choice. Elegant and versatile, the 7.0-8.0mm pearl stud sits squarely on the earlobe without falling forward or putting too much weight on the ear. This size range can also accommodate second piercings a little higher up without crowding out the next earring, which is a common concern today.

Pearl Necklace Size Comparison
    The photo below shows the most popular Akoya pearl necklace sizes from 6.0-6.5mm through 9.0-9.5mm. Each half-millimeter increase in size may not seem like a lot on paper, but keep in mind that pearls have volume as well as diameter. A single half-millimeter increment increase can mean as much as 20% increase in overall size! Compare the first top two strands (6.0-6.5mm vs 6.5-7.0mm) to get an idea of how that 0.5mm measures up in real life.

Pearl sizes from top to bottom are: 6.0-6.5mm (top strand), 6.5-7.0mm, 7.0-7.5mm, 7.5-8.0mm, 8.0-8.5mm, 8.5-9.0mm and 9.0-9.5mm (bottom strand).

Name:  pearl-size-chart.jpg
Views: 4172
Size:  61.1 KB

Pearl Necklace Sizes on a Model

6-7mm Pearls On Model:
    This necklace has a delicate and dainty pearl size; the 6.0-7.0mm size range works best for young ladies as a "first pearls" present, or women with petite builds.
    Name:  6.5-7mm-pearl-necklace--on-model.jpg
Views: 4576
Size:  37.8 KB

7-8mm Pearls On Model:
    As mentioned earlier, the 7.0-8.0mm size range is basically "The Classic Pearl Necklace", you really can't go wrong here. This size is very elegant and looks great whether you're at the office, shopping at the store, going out to dinner, special occasions, basically this size goes anywhere and everywhere.
    Name:  7-7.5mm-pearl-necklace--on-model.jpg
Views: 3762
Size:  87.8 KB

8-9mm Pearls On Model:
    The 8.0-9.0mm pearl size range is the beginning of luxury pearl territory. These pearls will have a nice "heft" to them, and look a tad larger than average for an elegant and glamorous presentation. It is most commonly worn by women 30 years old and up.
    Name:  8.5-9mm-pearl-necklace--on-model.jpg
Views: 3615
Size:  39.6 KB

9-10mm Pearls On Model:
    The 9.0-9.5mm is the largest size Akoya pearls attain, and is on the higher end for large Freshwater pearls. The 9.0-10.0mm pearl size range is luxurious in both presentation and feel. A perfectly matched necklace of 9.0-10.0mm pearls is a visually stunning strand of pearls that commands attention, yet can still be worn to both day and evening events.
    Name:  9-9.5mm-pearl-necklace--on-model.jpg
Views: 3655
Size:  90.9 KB

10-11mm Pearls On Model:
    The 10.0-11.0mm size range consists of large Freshwater, Tahitian and South Sea Pearls. Freshwater pearls will be fairly uniform in shape and size, graduating from 10.0-11.0mm, while Tahitian and South Sea strands will be graduated (i.e. 10.0-12.0mm, 10.0-14.0mm, etc.). These larger pearl sizes are very luxurious and very glamorous!
    Name:  10-11mm-pearl-necklace--on-model.jpg
Views: 4554
Size:  88.1 KB

Pearl Earring Sizes on a Model

The pearl stud earring is a classic piece of jewelry that every woman should have stashed in her jewelry box. The right pair of studs can go anywhere and look absolutely perfect on any occasion. As mentioned earlier in this article, the most popular pearl stud earring size is within the 7.0-8.0mm size range. 7.0-8.0mm pearls will sit nicely on the earlobe with a demure look and won't feel too heavy or fall forward on the lobe.

6-7mm Pearl Earrings On Model:
    These are ideal for young ladies from 6 years old up to 16 years old, and women with petite builds.
    Name:  6-7mm-pearl-earrings-on-model.jpg
Views: 4248
Size:  55.1 KB

7-8mm Pearl Earrings On Model:
    The most popular and versatile pearl stud size ever! Day or evening, just another day or for a special event, the 7.0-8.0mm size range is the epitome of "Classic Pearls".
    Name:  7-8mm-pearl-earrings-on-model.jpg
Views: 3715
Size:  59.8 KB

8-9mm Pearl Earrings On Model:
    Easily our second most popular pearl earring size range, the 8.0-9.0mm pearls are for ladies wanting one step up from "normal". A touch more glamorous without being too dramatic, and still comfortable on the ear.
    Name:  8-9mm-pearl-earrings-on-model.jpg
Views: 4198
Size:  61.0 KB

9-10mm Pearl Earrings On Model:
    The 9.0-9.5mm is the largest size for our Japanese Akoya pearls, and generally our smallest for South Sea pearls. This size is elegant and beautiful, and also stays within a demure range without getting overly dramatic.
    Name:  9-10mm-pearl-earrings-on-model.jpg
Views: 3670
Size:  57.3 KB

10-11mm Pearl Earrings On Model:
    The 10.0-11.0mm pearls are right in the "sweet spot" for luxury pearl earring sizes. You'll find very large Freshwater pearls and smaller Tahitian and South Sea pearls in this size range. These pearls still have a moderate feel and weight, and won't fall forward off the ear.
    Name:  10-11mm-pearl-earrings-on-model.jpg
Views: 3718
Size:  58.3 KB

11-12mm Pearl Earrings On Model:
    What women love about 11.0-12.0mm size pearls is that they are unmistakably high-end, luxury pearls. Luminous and luxurious, Angelina Jolie is known for sporting this stud size (and larger!) to many of her red carpet events.
    Name:  11-12mm-pearl-earrings-on-model.jpg
Views: 4708
Size:  57.0 KB

12-13mm Pearl Earrings On Model:
    The 12.0-13.0mm pearl size is one of our largest available, and the largest stud size we recommend for women. Consider dangle earring styles for pearls measuring over 13.0mm due to weight issues. The 12.0-13.0mm size range consists of larger, exotic pearl types like the White and Golden South Sea pearls, black Tahitian pearls and in rare cases, Freshwater pearl types.
    Name:  12-13mm-pearl-earrings-on-model.jpg
Views: 3545
Size:  53.5 KB

Thank you, Ashley, for allowing Pearl Guide to share your very helpful information.

Enjoy,
    Blaire Beavers
    Managing Editor
    Pearl Guide News
    Last edited by GemGeek; 04-25-2016 at 04:12 AM.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Super!!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sanippy's Avatar

This is fabulous, thank you!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Always most helpful to have a picture of the sizes on a model ! Excellent!

Pearly pearl Senior Guide Member Jacques's Avatar

A super way to show the size. Nice job Ashley.
    Last edited by Jacques; 07-18-2016 at 11:11 PM.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Icyjade's Avatar

This is a really helpful guide. For any newbies reading this, it's not mentioned but the height/size of wearer is really important too. I think most people need to go bigger if they are taller/bigger. The same strand of pearls will look completely different on someone who is 5 ft vs another who is 6 ft.

Quote Originally Posted by GemGeek View Post
    Before we go any farther, you should know that the most popular, classic and versatile pearl necklaces are in the 7.0-8.0mm size range. The 7.0-8.0mm size range is widely acknowledged to be the "go-anywhere" size, perfect for nights out, office wear or even a quick trip to the grocery store in a T-shirt and jeans. This size range is also age-appropriate for ladies from 16 years old up through women in their 50's, so these are necklaces that will be worn and enjoyed for many, many years.
    See, I know my PSS is really bad when I read this and went 'huh'... Lol.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Love the comparison shot!

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

In my rush to get this up and get go bed, I did not see the update by Seventh Sphynx. Check it out:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/sh...eshwater-studs

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Icyjade, you are so right. Proportion is important. Height, weight, neck size all should be considered.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Tucs's Avatar

I am petite, but I only wear a 7-8mm strand as rope, usually knotted -- smaller pearls are great for knots. But for any other style, I wear at least 8.5-9.0mm. And I am pretty small.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member kalmen22's Avatar

Love these guides. For newbie like me. It's very useful to see that just 1mm makes a world of difference as its volumetric difference.
    Thank you for putting this up.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

Ears and ear lobe size can vary greatly as well, and will make a difference in how different pearl sizes will look on your ear.

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member theseventhsphinx's Avatar

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for the other day. So amazing. I am bookmarking this link to share with my friends who need a pearl intro, this is the perfect starting place! Thanks so much for sharing this, GemGeek!!!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member theseventhsphinx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    Icyjade, you are so right. Proportion is important. Height, weight, neck size all should be considered.
    Ditto what Pearl Dreams said, such a great point Icyjade.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert dkan 168's Avatar

Excellent guide, thanks for sharing.

DK
    Treat every life situation like a dog: if you can't play with it, eat it, or hump it, p1$$ on it and walk away