Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert baby nurse's Avatar

lmgarden, it’s so good to see you! I love this rope, everything about it, the type/color/luster of the pearls, the history behind the piece. So glad to see this thread revived. Best of luck working with your rope and share as many pictures as you can!

Traveling Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jeg's Avatar

lmgarden! Hi! Hi! Hi! I am so happy to see you! Oh my, good luck with that project. Iím rooting for you!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Wishing you a blister and cramp free fun few days!!!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Good luck! Have you considered adding an orbit clasp to the rope? I always find it easier to string if there's a clasp at my starting end. Plus it gives a few more possibilities for wear.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

Thank you for your kind words, baby nurse! Itís been months seen Iíve been on the site, but I always have pearls on my mind! Itís going to take days/weeks to go back and drool over all all these threads... especially yours!

Jeg, Iím sure you and the traveling pearl are having great fun in the sun - I live through you!

Marianne, I donít usually wear band-aids when I string, but I think Iím gonna need to this time!

BWeaves, you read my mind! I think I might reduce the length to 100 inches with an orbit clasp, and use the remaining pearls for this Victorian bracelet in need of better pearls. The pearls are not original to the bracelet - likely they were naturals, considering its age. I do think the pearls on the clasp are naturals. I might consider turning it into a necklace, but I might get better use of it as a bracelet.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BWeaves's Avatar

Oooooh, yeah! Definitely.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert CathyKeshi's Avatar

Delighted to see you here That’s a great project ... some kind of finger protectors for sure! I’m sure it will be wonderful. That clasp is divine!!!
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Marianne's Avatar

Voting to keep that gorgeous clasp on a bracelet. 1) you can see it w/o having to find a mirror. 2) stringing a nesting 4 strand necklace is a PIA!

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member

lmgarden, I really enjoyed reading this thread and seeing how you styled this rope, especially loved the citrine Cartier enhancer and the other Victorian enhancer that you showed. Love your antiques, I am somewhat of a collector and those are beautiful. Yes , the clasp from the bracelet would look wonderful as a necklace.... as long as you will wear it. Please keep us posted as you progress in your project.

I also appreciated that Purr posted the 100 rope thread from 2014 as I have a rope I'd like to try to braid.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

How did I miss your super long strand before? Best of luck stringing, and I love, love, love the clasp! Please keep it as a bracelet!

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Oh that is a fabulous long strand !! And I think BWeaves is spot on with the Orbit clasp and the length . And what a wonderful necklace it will be - can't wait for the end result ! Good luck with the knotting ! And that will be a lovely bracelet - that clasp is super !

I finally disassembled and cleaned (even double dipped) this rope! I discarded the the lack luster pearls, but havenít had a chance to restring them. I decided to utilize about 15 of these pearls in a triple akoya stand of various sizes from 3mm - 8mm. I combined some natural red diamonds from Druzy Designs into the design.

I combine this triple stand with 2 separate natural strands. The larger natural strand has a few diamond roundels, and I added a few more natural pearls that I found at my parentís house. The vintage clasp is from a strand I disassembled to add to the 3 strand akoya necklace. I purchased these natural beauties from Blair at my first Ruckus a couple years ago - a shout out to Octaviaís Mom!!!

The second smaller double natural strand is another from my parents. While visiting Kojima last March with Jeg, I purchased a few 5-6mm akoya pearls from Sarah, and asked her team to combine and restring - for fear that I would go blind as a novice beader/stringer! Sarah added a SS vintage clasp that really sets it off!
    Attached Images Attached Images              

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

Beautiful beautiful work ! You have combined them so well. They look fabulous and wonderful lustre !

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Gemandpearlover's Avatar
    On one acre in an area described as "strange rural".

Just gorgeous!

Thank you Katbran and Gemandpearlover!
    Iím not sure the flapper pearls had ever been cleaned. They might have had about a centuryís worth of grime before I gave them a bath. Theyíre still yellowish from age, but much less so after cleaning.