Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Update from me

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Sea Urchin's Avatar

Best wishes, Karin.

I was a special ed teacher for a while and went all over the district, so I saw many classrooms and attended many different parent/teacher meetings. I think that's great about the "not allowing her to regress" although I know it's hard to know what each child is truly capable of. And of course no one wants to push them too hard so it is individualized and touchy-feely.

I did notice a huge difference between children based on the treatment they received though, both in their level of functioning beyond high school (in the US they can keep them in school until age 21) and in how individual children behaved with different caregivers. One little girl for ex. was hell on wheels with her parents and they were stunned to see her with her teacher, who may have just been too crabby and overworked to put up with much lol. Idk but the child DID behave wonderfully with that teacher, who held her to a high standard. Whenever there was a substitute teacher, the principal was usually called in because our little Missy would be up to all of her old tricks!

I agree with being able to handle more when you're older, too. However, personally I think I had much more energy when I was younger but being more calm and patient still wins out, imo.
    Last edited by Sea Urchin; 02-10-2016 at 11:32 PM.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I am so sorry to hear that Ida has relapsed to some degree. It's good that you can have some time to yourself...it's so important to not allow this to completely control your life and overwhelm you. Working out better sleeping arraignments was a great move. Thinking of you and sending good thoughts!

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BAS's Avatar

Karin -- I am sorry to read that your daughter regressed and that you are having a difficult time. I hope that you can find a way to increase your breaks to twice daily again. That seems like the easiest way to improve the quality of your days, which will allow you to be the best caregiver you can be.

I'm sending you a virtual hug during this very difficult period in your life.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert newberry's Avatar

Sending good thoughts and several hugs to you Karin. Take care

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

Thank you for the up-date, I was wondering how things were going for you and your family and I'm sorry Ida's progress has slowed.
    Sending my most positive thoughts across cyberspace for you to stay as strong and courageous as ever.
    Take care.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Purranha's Avatar

Hi Karin - I'm so sorry to learn of the stress you are currently dealing with, and am sending good thoughts your way. Many hugs~~~

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's regression, Karin. I hope that she and your entire family recovers soon. Many hugs!

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Lady_Disdain's Avatar

Oh, Karin, I am sorry to hear of the regression. You and Ida continue to have my good thoughts and hopes.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member KaySD's Avatar

Karin, I am sorry to hear of Ida's regression. Sending you hugs and good thoughts.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Thank you for all the virtual hugs!

Thankfully I have no doubts about her future. Give her 10 years to find herself and she'll rock the world. With her intelligence, different view on the world and stubbornness she can do wonders. Once she gets the foundation in place. Right now her ambition is to become a film instructor. It's just right now and the coming years that are super tough.

Part of the challenge is I probably share her PDD-NOS diagnosis. So I too get easily overwhelmed and stressed out and need a lot of downtime. But I have found my own way and can show her by example what benefits can come from being vertically wired. I try to remind myself of all that is ahead of her (and me) when the going gets a little hard

- Karin

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Hi karin
    She is, as you say, very young to learn enough self awareness to deal with being overwhelmed by the world. But you are right. It isn't the academically grooved successes who invent and discover, it is the awkward square pegs who think outside the envelope.
    I did hear of a family who bought a little play house for their garden where their similar daughter could learn to take herself. That worked very well and everyone knew to leave her alone to catch up with herself when she was in there.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Thanks for posting Karin. It's always good when you show up! Infinite hugs to you, Ida and Gustav.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert KarinK's Avatar

Sigh, I had hoped Ida wold be as envious as Gustav and me over Peter being in San Francisco this week so we might go to the US this summer. But she was completely clear about not wanting to venture that far. Very good arguments too. She said if she didn't have to spend so long in a plane and could return after 3 days if she felt she couldn't deal with it, then it was fine.

So it looks like this summer too I will send off Peter, Gustav and probably Peter's mom on a 3.5 week car trip through Europe. And again this summer I will just stay at home with Ida. I can't really think of anywhere we could go together all four for any longer period of time. And it was pretty clear Ida would prefer just to stay put. I doubt there will be any release for me this side of September which will mark the 2 year anniversary of being on 24/7 duty.

We do have a short family trip planned for Tallinn in May, just 3 nights. The people at the hospital, who have been following up on her, says she should be fine in going. So I am going to hold her to it and make a schedule for her for the trip for her to feel a little more safe. Traveling is something we love to do in our family and it will be a problem if she convinces herself she can't anymore.

I need to find time to take pictures of my baroque Akoyas. After an initial, slight disappointment (partly due to being sick, I am sure) they are growing on me. Plus I made the smart move of comparing them with my original FW clonks. Can't see myself EVER wearing those chalky lumps again.

On a completely different note, literally, I suddenly wanted a guitar - and bought one. And it has abelone inlay (pictures will come some day but for now this is the link, http://www.ibanez.com/products/hb_de...d=5&color=CL01)

I did a lot of music 20-30 years back and while I don't have the talent of the other three people in my family (absolute pitch all of them), I was the one who did all the fun stuff. I bought Peter an acoustic guitar for his birthday in January. Then Gustav wanted an electric guitar for his birthday in February, and I realized I really wanted to get back to just sitting playing and singing a bit for myself. So I've bought one. Maybe learning to play it again will keep me happy the next 6 months

- Karin

Natural Pearl Lover Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert MSC's Avatar

I'm really happy to hear you're doing something special for yourself as you miss out on all the travels. I would also have a hard time in life if I were not able to travel often. I hope your schedule and the upcoming trip bring your daughter around on the idea of longer trips! But I hope that the guitar transports you to places in your own mind where only peacefulness exists. Hugs!

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

Treating yourself to a guitar is a good sign. I fondly remember the hours I spent as a teenager, teaching myself to play so I could accompany myself singing folk songs and Beatles tunes. Music is joy.