Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert ckrickett's Avatar

Have you mentioned the vendor in this post. I am not sure if you can, I would like to know so I know who to steer clear from. But I understand of you can't/won't say

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I'm not sure why we need to protect the identity of a vendor who is so uncaring about his customers.

First-graft Pearl

After three case closures and re-openings, multiple phone conversations, and numerous emails with PayPal they finally told me that my documentation certifying non-delivery proved nothing because according to their policy, the seller fulfilled their responsibilities in shipping the package to its destination ("notice left") and that the remainder of the process is the fault of the carrier. They said that the claim has to be filed with USPS if I were to try to reclaim my losses, which would amount to only the $50 insurance automatically added to Priority shipping.

I cannot believe that PayPal has such a misleading Purchase Protection policy. So just because my package reached my place of residence at one point but not in my hands that qualifies as delivery? Are we using different dictionaries? And all along the way the policy was neither clearly stated nor reiterated. I had numerous customer service associates telling me I would be able to recover my claim once I uploaded my document, only to have this escalated to manager after manager and be told that because there was a notice left and a delivery "attempt" made, any certification that to package is lost is irrelevant. What a disgrace.

For it to have taken this long with this much effort on my part as a buyer, and pretty much zero response from the seller just makes me so disappointed.

First-graft Pearl

In terms of the vendor, I am going to try contacting him again and if he doesn't offer a refund in light of these circumstances I won't hesitate to take further action.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

Do keep checking with the local postmaster...the package may still turn up!

eta: I really enjoyed scrolling through your website!

eta: I have edited my post, as I have had numerous transactions with the vendor listed, all of which were exactly as expected, without problem.
    Last edited by JerseyPearl; 01-14-2016 at 01:25 PM.

Consumer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert kelluvpearls's Avatar

Unfortunately quite a few Etsy vendors that I had dealt with in the past lacked business skills and ethics, I don't think I'll ever make a large purchase again from Etsy. I suggest that you post on Pricescope as well so potential buyers can make an informed decision before purchasing again from this vendor. I suspect quite a number of their sales were based on the trust and reviews built from here and from Pricescope.

First-graft Pearl

I made one more attempt to contact the vendor about issuing a refund for the pearls I paid for and never received.

Jac de Rham/ThePearlHouse of Etsy is standing by PayPal's decision not to refund because in their joint opinion an attempt on delivery is all that is needed to qualify as proof of delivery. This was a signature confirmation Priority shipping for which I have a letter from USPS stating the package "never received a delivery scan" and current whereabouts unknown.

Take this as fair warning when making transactions with this vendor. Also note that PayPal may not honor their Purchase Protection plan depending on how close to the destination the package gets. Use a credit/debit card with a solid chargeback policy. And make sure there is insurance on your packages though the existence of a claims process may not guarantee you are safe, as this case demonstrates.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

As I said, you do not have a contract with the shipping company so that is nothing to do with you. You have a contract with the seller who has failed to meet his side of the contract. He has to supply more pearls to you or refund your consideration. That's basic contract law.
    Simply send a letter before action or do whatever is required by US law to start a small claim. That may attract his attention. You could also point out that court fees will be payable by him when you win. And he will have a judgement (a proper court judgement not a faceless employee judgement) against him.
    At the same time make sure you don't just threaten - demanding money with menaces is blackmail which is a criminal offence.
    I'm sure there are consumer websites etc which can advise for the USA

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Such a disappointing performance by Jac, all the more as you were a previous customer of his. One would hope that he would at least feel some degree of loyalty or obligation to a past customer, but apparently not.

So short-sighted.

Perpetual Pearl Student Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert lisa c's Avatar

Once I was waiting for a package from overseas. It got hung up in the international sorting facility of USPS (somewhere in NYC) for weeks, whereabouts unknown, "presumably lost in transit". It might have never left the sorting facility. I think it took 6weeks to finally get to me.

Around that time a NYC ADA task force was investigating postal employee theft.

There are two issues here, right?
    A package shipped under-insured ( the seller's mistake )
    USPS saying they attempted delivery.

perhaps if you find out the sorting facility's phone number you can call and mention you'd hate to think USPS was still experiencing problems like the ones that prompted that investigation. As the buyer, I was not treated too well during my initial USPS phone calls, but after I mentioned that I sure hoped they weren't still under investigation, I got a bit more respect. Then the seller followed up from her end, and the lost package was found. Perhaps that was a coincidence.

I don't know how that'd play in NH. Has Jac actually gotten on the phone with USPS to your knowlege?
    Last edited by lisa c; 01-14-2016 at 10:47 PM.

BTW, I'm NOT saying there was theft. It was a small, padded envelope and could've been under a table or in a dark corner. I am saying USPS put more effort into the search after I mentioned the investigation and reputations to maintain, sympathetically.
    Last edited by lisa c; 01-14-2016 at 07:04 PM.

'Sympathetic' was hard to do, because I was hopping mad at being disrespected. I wanted to threaten somebody with a big, burly mobster, but I didn't have one.

so sorry you are going through this!! I had a similar experience with an etsy seller (not pearls) around Christmastime 2 years ago. In that case the package was marked "out for delivery" but there was no actual attempt to deliver -- no notice left, and we were home all day on that day and no one came to the door. The best the seller would do was to offer a replacement at cost (about 50% off), and the time of year made it worse -- extreme volume for both sellers and carriers makes it harder to get someone to pay attention to your inquiries. I was treated similarly to lisa c, and got the run around from usps and finally gave up. I will not ship USPS during the holidays if I can help it, and I am more wary of making large purchases from small businesses, which is a shame. I hope somehow this is made right for you!

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert ckrickett's Avatar

I can say something as an Etsy seller (that is where most of my business comes from, although it is not pearls) During Christmas time USPS is notoriously bad about getting packages on time. we had an entire shipment of packages (about 6k worth of merchandise) literally disappear 2 years ago. it cost me THOUSANDS to remake and reship all the merchandise because of USPS error, and I got nothing back from them. Now even 2 years later I will get a packaged returned to me from that batch. This year packages that were supposed to ship 2-3 day where taking a week at least. It is a hassle, and there isn't much I can do but CONSTANTLY phone USPS and beg them to get off their asses. UGH!

Maybe the package is lost, maybe an employee took it. I do hope you get it resolved

BTW, I'm not pointing the finger at NYC exclusively. We had our own USPS scandal in Pittsburgh, PA years ago. I know my local USPS station and delivery people by sight, one guy I've known for 20yrs, and had great service. Some rotten apples or careless folks, or overworked, have tarnished the bunch. It's a shame.

Look at the packages still coming back to ckrickett- that speaks to the honest, diligent USPS workers. After all this time, they could've been dumped in the Atlantic instead of delivered. It's a shame. I don't understand why they haven't made good for you, ck.
    Last edited by lisa c; 02-04-2016 at 01:39 PM.