Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    First-graft Pearl

As for requesting a chargeback from my bank, that was a really quick "no". Come to find out that since I used PayPal by linking my account number and electronic routing number (ACH) the bank cannot issue a chargeback for merchandise paid with that method. That is good to know! At least unlike PayPal they had the heart to just deny me outright rather than lead me on a now-almost-month-long wild goose chase for my money back.
    Additionally, PayPal had the rule that they could be the only one investigating a claim- meaning you can't open both a chargeback and a PayPal claim at the same time or PayPal would close their claim. So I didn't try with my bank until PayPal had closed my case the first time. Not that it made a difference in the end. But I just wanted to illuminate how many rules and restrictions exist that hamper consumer rights.

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Legally it sounds as if USPS has been negligent and lost the parcel after a failed delivery attempt. Claiming on that is the responsibility of the shipper who will have to claim against their post service and that post service will claim against the USPS. It isn't up to you to claim since you are a third party.
    For paypal to say (as I read your post) that leaving a notice to say that an item hasn't been delivered counts as delivery is beyond risable.
    Your problem is that the seller is in a different jurisdiction so suing on that contract will be difficult. Who knows whether the seller can sue their postal system?
    You might be able to sue paypal though......
    Jurisdiction is always a problem when making international contracts.

First-graft Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by pearlescence View Post
    Legally it sounds as if USPS has been negligent and lost the parcel after a failed delivery attempt. Claiming on that is the responsibility of the shipper who will have to claim against their post service and that post service will claim against the USPS. It isn't up to you to claim since you are a third party.
    For paypal to say (as I read your post) that leaving a notice to say that an item hasn't been delivered counts as delivery is beyond risable.
    Your problem is that the seller is in a different jurisdiction so suing on that contract will be difficult. Who knows whether the seller can sue their postal system?
    You might be able to sue paypal though......
    Jurisdiction is always a problem when making international contracts.
    The seller is in the US though not on the contiguous US, not that that excludes them from jurisdiction. I was pretty much appalled by their flippant response to my problem. This entire experience has really removed the glow of buying pearls online especially on etsy, which is a shame because he had quality loose pearls which is nigh impossible to locate in the northeast where I am. My previous purchases have always gone with slight hitches (wonky drilling, undrilled pearls sent when drilled requested) but every time I decided the pearls were worth it. Jewelry shows sell whole strands wholesale and never break apart their lots, at least for "small" buyers like me who are just working on a couple of projects.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I am so sorry you are going through these difficulties. Have you left negative feedback on the seller's profile? That's an option. I have had packages turn up after weeks of "lost" status. Rather than going to USPS customer service, I would go down to the main branch of your post office and ask to see or speak to your local postmaster. Was it shipped in a small priority mail box? Was it in an envelop? The mail carrier who left the note should also be identified...if they are your regular carrier, why not ask them what happened to the package? Maybe they still have it on the truck. A little sleuthing might help it to turn up. I know you shouldn't have to do this, but unfortunately, our mail carriers are human, and do make mistakes.

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by khanzy View Post
    Excellent customer service with choice comments like "If the post office lost the package while it was being delivered to you, that’s completely out of my hands." and "I upheld my side of the deal. I sent the pearls when they were supposed to be sent and the tracking proves this." They even ended their reply asking me to "let [them] know why you think this is [their] fault?". Needless to say, I had different expectations of the online buying-selling relationship so I felt betrayed.
    At this point, it was clear the seller did not see this as their responsibility and was not interested in issuing a refund, period, so I took it to PayPal. Which is a whole other post in itself...to be continued...
    This is concerning and should be addressed with the seller.

Technically the vendor is right. It isn't their fault. But that doesn't mean it isn't their responsibility. It absolutely is their full responsibility to get the package to you. USPS and other carriers rarely lose packages, but it does happen. It's absolutely the responsibility of the vendor to make certain that the package is insured if the value is too high for them to "eat" if it gets lost.

A vendor cannot, in my opinion, be considered trusted if they don't take responsibility when things go wrong. Everybody is great when things go right. The way the situation is handled when things go wrong is so much more important.

I still think you should stick with it with PayPal. PayPal is notoriously difficult to deal with because you're dealing with one department handling thousands of complaints as quickly as possible so they just glance and move on, but they usually come through for the buyer, which is one reason so many sellers hate them.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

Jeremy is right-- keep at it with PayPal. The package has not been delivered; it has only gotten as far as the local post office.

Very frustrating, but don't stop now. Cases can be re-opened by PayPal if they choose to. Keep phoning.

I want to add that I have seen "notice left" on my tracking when, in fact, no notice was left. It happened last winter. We'd had a heavy snowfall and mail vans were unable to get out to the unplowed streets. When I went to the local P.O. to pick up my package, and asked about notice being left, they were mystified as to how that would have appeared on my tracking, and was no doing of theirs.

So the question is, on the day when tracking shows that notice was left, did your local P.O. deliver in your area at all? What was your weather that day?

Also, a reminder to all of us, funding PayPal payments with a credit card (not with your linked bank account) provides another avenue to pursue a refund.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

To be clear, I was not suggesting that the op discontinue their claim with either paypal or their bank. I just wanted to recommend an additional investigative track. I agree completely that the seller should offer a full refund. You can also leave a negative comment on Etsy for this seller, especially since you've had a couple of complaints with past purchases!

Super Moderator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert jshepherd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I want to add that I have seen "notice left" on my tracking when, in fact, no notice was left. It happened last winter.
    This is a very common thing, not just with the postal service but also with FedEx and UPS. I can't count how many times we've been waiting for a package to come in, watching the tracking and then seeing "business closed, notice left." Then it's up to us to call them and convince them we have an office filled with people that have been here since 7 am and the driver just skipped us.

Interesting, Jeremy!

This whole problem could have been avoided if the vendor had insured properly. Then he could just refund and file a claim with the USPS. What is clear is that he would rather the buyer take the hit for his failure to insure.

What he is forgetting is that he stands to lose good will among buyers on P-G, and therefore sales. It would almost certainly cost him less in the long run to refund the buyer this time, learn from the experience, and insure future shipments to their full value.
    Hopefully the vendor will read this and think about it.

Administrator Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Kevin Canning's Avatar

Just dealt with this, USPS lost a $2000+ strand(ouch).

It stings, but the only option is to send out a new order for the customer. It's not their fault the carrier lost it.

Cost of doing business unfortunately.
    Kevin Canning
    Pearls Of Joy
    www.PearlsOfJoy.com
    Read My Blog
    FaceBook Fan Page
    1-800-451-1411

purveyor of pearls Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pearlescence's Avatar

Ah, well, if they are in the jurisdiction then simply send them a formal letter before action ie before you issue a writ in your equivalent of the small claims court -I assume procedure is the same that you have to write them a formal letter? That may concentrate their attention.
    Our Royal Mail lost two expensive necklaces in a fortnight and then their claim procedure was so complicated I switched some years ago to the company which works mostly for legal firms moving property deeds around the country and irreplaceable stuff like that. (If they don't deliver they actually take a photo of the door or whatever to prove they were there and I've had couriers phone me to check the address was right when the house 'looked empty') Not lost anything since. Hurrah and phew! (and yes, that was two full refunds/replacements.

First-graft Pearl

Let's just say I have become a very familiar voice/face at my local post office! They have been nothing but apologetic and willing to provide whatever documentation is necessary because of the numerous occasions we have all looked; it seems like both they and I believe the package is well and lost. This all happened the day before Christmas Eve, so I can understand that it was a hectic prime time for things to go awry....after all that's why insurance is an option...moving forward on future purchases with other vendors I would definitely request it but that does not always guarantee that the vendor will honor it and go through the motions of filing a claim? (I have heard the claims process itself is just as cumbersome as PayPal's).

It seems like many lessons can be had from this experience- I am un-linking my bank account from PayPal and making sure that there is a means of recovery for purchases I make in the future. Also, to trust my gut when it comes to buying online- as I said there was always something a bit off about my previous interactions/transactions but the pearls (particularly, being able to have more control over selection in my purchase) had always won out in the end. And up until this point, all of the hiccups I mentioned were mitigated by the fact that the seller did (with my persistent communication) work with me to resolve all of the previous problems. My expectation was that he would come around and do the correct thing once again but I was wrong. I guess that's the dark side of loving pearls.

I just sent PayPal a bunch of messages and resubmitted my document from USPS wherever I could. Hopefully they don't close the claim once again with some b.s. excuse because someone new glanced over my case. Almost all of my work breaks are spent either writing emails or being put on hold...

Pearl-Guide is such a supportive community of buyers and vendors alike; in fact it was the sole reason I fell in love with and learned so much about pearls! My hope in bringing this up was that the vendor, in seeing what others in this business have to say about this scenario, will rethink his position on how to conduct a business ethically.

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I've had numerous experiences like Jeremy described. Notices left in the mailbox saying they had attempted to deliver and yet someone (often more than one) was home at the time. I have three dogs..no one comes to my door without everyone within 1/2 kilometre knowing about it. When I go to the little local post office to collect it I complain and the post mistress rolls her eyes and says.. 'when they get too many parcels they just bring them here at the end of the day..they don't even try to deliver' sigh I had one FedEx guy leave a package of gems in a big topiary pot by the door. I called the vendor...complained to the delivery service that I hadn't received it...they told me it was delivered... 3 days later I found it in the pot when I went to water it. It could be on the floor of his truck ( had that happen too ). If it made it to your door there is hope for it I think..it's just a question of when they will find it. I'm sorry you are having such a drama , it's very distressing for you. Definitely take this seller off your list and post a warning in your review that there may be no satisfaction if things go wrong.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert ckrickett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jshepherd View Post
    This is a very common thing, not just with the postal service but also with FedEx and UPS. I can't count how many times we've been waiting for a package to come in, watching the tracking and then seeing "business closed, notice left." Then it's up to us to call them and convince them we have an office filled with people that have been here since 7 am and the driver just skipped us.
    this happens with me ALL THE TIME! WE live behind a gate and they don't even bother to get out and ring the bell.

I would stick with paypal too, maybe get an email or letter from your postmaster saying it wasn't delivered,. more proof couldn't hurt.