Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Happy Huku's Avatar

Thank you for sharing this 'too good to be true' experiment.
    I hope potential buyers learn from this and save themselves from a very disappointing experience.
    Happy Huku
    Queensland
    Australia

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

I hope so too...but as my grandmother used to say to us, "There are two ways to do things, the easy way and the hard way. You kids always pick the hard way." Gram's easy way was to listen to her advice, and the hard way was to ignore it.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Helen,

Thanks so much for sharing your ebay experience with such detail and photos. And congrats on being a member of the P-G Pearl Police! In my early days of pearl buying on ebay, 10+ yrs ago, my experiences were much like yours.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

First-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member judimcc6's Avatar

Hence, the reason Pearl-Guide is such a powerful weapon against these disreputable sellers everywhere. Educate people about pearls and you have a tool to "melt" them!
    Judi McCormick
    Judi McCormick Studios
    www.judimccormickjewelry.com

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    I hope so too...but as my grandmother used to say to us, "There are two ways to do things, the easy way and the hard way. You kids always pick the hard way." Gram's easy way was to listen to her advice, and the hard way was to ignore it.
    JP, I'm laughing here because that is so me... and sadly, my kids too. I knew it was too good to be true but it was also a challenge to me. I knew I had nothing to lose if they sent me anything but what was advertised, and luckily, I know enough about pearls to know the potatoes I received were not Tahitians.

One other thing I remembered is that these sellers have several accounts. Why do I know this? I tried to bid on another $.99 pearl from a different seller and was blocked. I have no idea how many accounts one seller has but it is more than one. I've often heard of people having more than one ebay account (one to sell and one to buy) but the accounts in this case are all to sell.

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member juliebeth's Avatar

this is why i love pearl-guide. thanks, amti, for your generous sacrifice in the name of online pearl integrity!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ill-sorted ephemera
    assorted bits and bobs, stuff and nonsense
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/illsortedephemera

I've never tried to buy pearls from eBay but some years ago I was a regular buyer of branded clothing from the US (it was a lot cheaper than in Australia) but I became tired of being overcharged on shipping (some sellers called it "self-insurance") and a few times I received and returned items of questionable authenticity from sellers whom I had previously believed to be reputable. So I gave up buying from eBay!

This pearl buying experiment has been interesting and proves the saying "if it's too good to be true it probably is"! But it would be bad being an unsuspecting buyer who got ripped off for a lot more.

angelajosef

Thanks for posting your experience. I will be more careful from now onwards while buying on eBay.

Pearl Maven Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Caitlin's Avatar

If the Ebay seller is Chinese. It is 99.9% sure they do NOT have pearls from anywhere but China. So no matter what they call the pearls they are still freshwater.

Beware the "Tahitian Black" pearls refer to a color and not to the country of origin.

Even if you find a great seller, take note that the Chinese sizing is always smaller than they say. They set it up that way -so 8.1 can be the smallest size in a 9mm necklace and the largest pearl in the same necklace can be a 8.9mm.
    Caitlin

How to hand-knot pearls without a tool

My avatar is a Sea of Cortez mabe pearl. One of a pair of Mexican handmade earrings.

this is dye freshwater pearl..............not tathiian pearl..

Thatís why I donít buy supposedly top pearls from these guys, only cheap strands for my DIY costume jewelry for presents. For $3-14 pearl strands, I still complain if theyíre the wrong size, colour or quality, and I did get discounts or full refunds without returning them. If anybody can recommend a seller with dirt-cheap but good pearls, I would like to know.