First-graft Pearl Senior Member hbyrne's Avatar

Default Mikimoto clasp...guesses as to age anyone?

Hello there!

Is it possible that anyone could help date a Miki clasp? Hopefully they are genuine? I bought these pretties recently and am curious as to their age. They're an unusual, but very nice 23 inches finished length, 5.5mm.

I'd be muchly grateful for any comments...
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 6002
Size:  56.4 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 5112
Size:  39.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 2645
Size:  63.1 KB

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Oh pretty! The clasp does look authentic as far as the miki logo. Possibly 50-60's or a bit older; just a guess. Wish I knew more about vintage and antique jewelry. Here's a graduated strand with the same clasp:
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Thank you Pattye, thats really helpful. I didn't think they could be too old, as graduated were more popular before the fifties. They're quite a 'useful' length, so I think they'll get a fair bit of wear!

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert BlackPearlDudeDC's Avatar

I have the same clasp on a necklace from relative and we were told it was an anniversary gift back in the mid 50's ( I had my doubts). One thing I've noted about this clasp, on some there is the "S" which I assume is the Sterling Silver hallmark, on others it is missing, so I wonder if that is also an indication of age differences in the clasp mold:

Name:  Mp1.jpg
Views: 2611
Size:  70.2 KB:

Name:  Mp2.jpg
Views: 2260
Size:  88.0 KB:

Name:  Mp3.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  98.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 10-26-2015 at 06:52 PM.

NOTE: not my clasp

Attachment 37997

My clasp Name:  Mp5.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  16.8 KB
    Last edited by BlackPearlDudeDC; 10-26-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Excellent observation. BPDDC. I wonder where the stamp is on the alternate version? Maybe on the fish hook insert? What size pearls are on your necklace? The pearls appear to be in very good condition.
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

When I get a chance I will double check the hook, though I don't recall seeing it there (the alternate was my strand). My Aunt had several pearl necklaces, she was known for wearing only one particular strand, the rest just sat in a box somewhere and only on special occasions (weddings etc) did they come out, grandma had multiple strands but over the years I think between the two of them the strands got all mixed up.

PS: I'll take a pic with the brass gauge later on and post it too.

Quote Originally Posted by pattye View Post
    Excellent observation. BPDDC. I wonder where the stamp is on the alternate version? Maybe on the fish hook insert? What size pearls are on your necklace? The pearls appear to be in very good condition.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert amti's Avatar

A few years ago, one of the ebay sellers of Mikimoto pearls wrote about different clasps. I tried to find it but was not successful. Maybe someone with more ebay knowledge can find it? I don't know if she wrote about the vintage clasps though because I was looking for info on the more recent clasps and the M dangle they added a few years back.

Hi BPD! Thank you for the comparison. Mine does have the 'S', mark for silver, as you say. Mine looks a more splodgy casting than yours, which is lovely and crisp. I think that's why I questioned them.

Love your pearls, they do look delish...a nice size I should think?! They look to me a typical 1950's style of graduation within the Pearls.

Yes, a study of Mikimoto clasps would definitely be helpful, I couldn't find anything when I looked.

I think my strand is more "splodgy" than you think LOL, my phone cam isn't the best (rather the photographer isn't the best). I questioned mine too but honestly I think the more I see, the less I am inclined to think they'd fake a clasp like that one…HOWEVER a clasp is just a clasp, the proof is in the pearl quality. I failed you all, I still need to pull them back out and investigate more. Never enough time in a day (or two days etc)…but I am determined to do it

I wish there was a thread for historical reference on Miki clasps, maybe ours can be starters?

Here is the delayed photo:

Name:  Mikis.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  159.3 KB

Center pearl is about 9mm and the pearls at that clasp 6mm

Pearlista Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert GemGeek's Avatar

You didn't see a lot of uniform strands until after the first rush of post-WWII popularity. Mikimotos are not my area, but they are very beautiful.

I'm still puzzled about some of the older pearls from my family to be honest with you. Between several family members I have seen different "Miki's" that could be considered vintage, and knowing my family... restringing wouldn't have been a priority, though that does not mean the pearls match the clasps. I think some pearls survived but the clasps…not so much. I remember my grandmother had a necklace restring (super rare occasion for this to happen) and the new clasp was made of a silver dollar, diamonds, rubies and sapphires surrounding it. So it made my curious and I was looking at old photos etc to see if I could identify other strands. It made me wonder how many "signed" pieces became something new…never to identified as a signed piece again.

I imagine Historians and archivists go gray very quickly with that type of work, it was nearly impossible to distinguish from photos (obviously).

Though the one common theme, the more decorative the clasp in comparison to the size of pearls, the position/ placement around the neck changed…it makes me even more curious, though it is doubtful in my mind that my family would have bothered having pearls restrung for general maintenance purposes. These are puzzles that might never get solved for me, and that bugs me because I love to unravel these sort of jewelry mysteries. I wish I could share photos here but I don't have permission to put family photos online, very likely I won't get it either.

Quote Originally Posted by GemGeek View Post
    You didn't see a lot of uniform strands until after the first rush of post-WWII popularity. Mikimotos are not my area, but they are very beautiful.