Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Consumer Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert kelluvpearls's Avatar

Default Favourite single strand length

I was wondering what's everyone's favourite length for a single strand of pearls or a tin cup? 20 or 22 inches? Longer or shorter?

Museum Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert JerseyPearl's Avatar

That's a bit like asking about a favorite child...my answer is my favorite length is the length I am wearing at any given time! More directly, for me, it depends on what I'm wearing.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member Lady_Disdain's Avatar

I tend to like shorter necklaces, but a long rope is also stunning. I find 17-18 inches a very versatile length and what I would get for "general use" pearls.

My favorite tin cup length is 38" to 40". Can then be worn doubled or as a long necklace. Probably that would be my favorite length for a regular pearl necklace, too(if the pearls are small enough) and if it wasn't so expensive. What I have been doing with my other pearls is having them at 17" and having PP add a 3 inch extender chain, so I can wear them at my neckline or longer over a sweater or blouse.

Rare Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert

I like a 32" - 36" rope. I like to be able to see and feel my pearls while I'm wearing them.

However, I also like to wear pearls in layers. A 16" choker, 18" necklace and a long rope all at the same time.

Pearl Enthusiast Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Pearl Dreams's Avatar

I like 17/18" and 26" best for regular strands.

I'm about to turn one of my 18" into a tin cup and have not decided on the length --- I don't always like how they look doubled.

Also, I think maybe I like a shorter section of chain between pearls more than a longer section.
    Last edited by Pearl Dreams; 09-15-2015 at 04:59 PM.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert ckrickett's Avatar

20" for me. Other lengths don't look nice on me with what I usually wear. But 20" fits most of my wardrobe and I like how it makes my neck look

Second-graft Pearl Senior Guide Member KaySD's Avatar

20-21" is my sweet spot for a single strand. I'm quite tall and my neck is not as slender as it used to be, so I like a little extra length. I can always use a pearl shortener if a particular blouse requires a shorter necklace.

Third-graft Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Tucs's Avatar

I think it depends on your proportions and what you want to emphasize/shift the attention from in your body. I am petite but relatively large chested, so for ticker necklaces I generally like 22-25" best. For (the usual-sized) pearl strands I like 16-17" best, as I think they put more attention on my neck, I think, though I also like 18", maybe because I am used to longer necklaces.

Natural Pearl Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert Red's Avatar

I like any length, just as long as it is 18 inches, or more. A 16" necklace on me looks like a "cut here" line. Just not attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    I like 17/18" and 26" best for regular strands.

I'm about to turn one of my 18" into a tin cup and have not decided on the length --- I don't always like how they look doubled.

Also, I think maybe I like a shorter section of chain between pearls more than a longer section.
    Oooh, that sounds interesting...what kind of pearls? chain? Can you tell I have a thing for tin cups?

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyPearl View Post
    Oooh, that sounds interesting...what kind of pearls? chain? Can you tell I have a thing for tin cups?
    It's a strand of 7.5-8.5mm metallic luster exotics that I bought from PP in 2008. They are very regular in shape-- nice ovals-- and have subtle pastel colors in diffuse light-- but in brighter light appear mostly silvery. I am thinking of alternating the pearls with some gemstone beads I have but I'll have to see which ones complement the pearls' colors (if any).

I bought palladium silver wire and rhodium-plated sterling silver rolo chain in the hope of avoiding tarnish.

I've been planning this forever but...well, I had to put my cat to sleep yesterday morning and I've been in a funk.
    I have to find the motivation again.

Sorry I don't want turn the thread into being about my cat. I'll post about it on Other Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl Dreams View Post
    It's a strand of 7.5-8.5mm metallic luster exotics that I bought from PP in 2008. They are very regular in shape-- nice ovals-- and have subtle pastel colors in diffuse light-- but in brighter light appear mostly silvery. I am thinking of alternating the pearls with some gemstone beads I have but I'll have to see which ones complement the pearls' colors (if any).

I bought palladium silver wire and rhodium-plated sterling silver rolo chain in the hope of avoiding tarnish.

I've been planning this forever but...well, I had to put my cat to sleep yesterday morning and I've been in a funk.
    I have to find the motivation again.

Sorry I don't want turn the thread into being about my cat. I'll post about it on Other Stuff.
    I am so sorry for your loss...our furry friends are our best companions...unconditional love knows no bounds.

Thank you, I know you understand-- I started the other thread, so let's return here to the topic of "Favorite single strand length! "

Pearl Scholar Senior Pearl-Guide.com Pearl Expert pattye's Avatar

Mostly I wear large pearls with scoop and v-neck styles, so 20-21 inches for me, or at least 40 inches to double. (So sorry, PD)
    Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----