Please identify??

PSA10431

Hi everyone,

It's an antique strand about 8 mm each (14k WG clasp). Please help me to identify the pearls...Thank you in advance!

03.jpg

01.jpg

06.jpg

I'm seeing a few pearls in front that don't look round, so I'm thinking they look like Chinese cultured freshwaters.

You said antique...do you have the history of these pearls?

I'm seeing a few pearls in front that don't look round, so I'm thinking they look like Chinese cultured freshwaters.

You said antique...do you have the history of these pearls?

Thanks for the reply! I do not have any history. I was told that it's an antique.

Is that photo distortion, or are the front pearls actually a bit egg shaped?

The off-round shape comes from the freshwater pearl being all-nacre, without a bead inside (just a little piece of mantle tissue). Not having a bead, they are very durable even for everyday wear, which is not generally recommended for akoya pearls.

However if they are freshwaters, they are not antique. These nearly-round freshwater pearls have not been produced that long.

If they aren't off-round at all, then you may have some akoyas. Freshwaters are now also sometimes being bead-nucleated but I think that's mostly in the larger sizes.

Last edited:
Is that photo distortion, or are the front pearls actually a bit egg shaped?

The off-round shape comes from the freshwater pearl being all-nacre, without a bead inside (just a little piece of mantle tissue). Not having a bead, they are very durable even for everyday wear, which is not generally recommended for akoya pearls.

However if they are freshwaters, they are not antique. These nearly-round freshwater pearls have not been produced that long.

If they aren't off-round at all, then you may have some akoyas. Freshwaters are now also sometimes being bead-nucleated but I think that's mostly in the larger sizes.

Thanks for the reply! It's photo distortion. Below, I post two more images that have the front pearls.

001.jpgI

002.jpg

Last edited:
They are probably akoyas then. I think the luster is not very good, however. They may date back to the 70s when pearl nacre was on the thin side.

Wear them, enjoy them, but not every day if you want them to last.

They are probably akoyas then. I think the luster is not very good, however. They may date back to the 70s when pearl nacre was on the thin side.

Wear them, enjoy them, but not every day if you want them to last.

I say wear them every day until they wear out. I see no point in saving pearls. They turn yellow if they sit in a box unworn.
Enjoy them now and often. And when they no longer look good, replace them. You can even reuse the clasp and just string new pearls on it.

BWeaves makes a good point.

Nothing lasts forever (including us), so go ahead and enjoy.

Back