Is my pearl a South Sea Pearl?

The two fittings look similar but the number of diamonds is different, so the setting is sold by another seller. The top rows of both settings (the website and the pendant) have five stones. The bottom row numbers are six and eight stones. I am also curious as to why the scraped area used for testing gold carat on the pendant now shows gray and are no longer yellow.

The two fittings look similar but the number of diamonds is different, so the setting is sold by another seller. The top rows of both settings (the website and the pendant) have five stones. The bottom row numbers are six and eight stones. I am also curious as to why the scraped area used for testing gold carat on the pendant now shows gray and are no longer yellow.

Thank you so much for your answers! I honestly thought it was gold plated as well, but the jeweler scratched it on a piece of slate, and dropped the chemical solution on the mark and It's gold... Also the place that was scratched off is still gold, now gray show through. I was also confused as to why the hole was so deep, but since I know nothing of pearl mountings, I didn't know if this was usual. As for the posting for the similar pendant, I'm going to look for it and post it in a different window. Thank you again, this is a great community of welcoming people. Maybe now I'll think about owning pearls! How my going to tell the gentleman... I'm not sure lol

amti, I assumed Emmaz made a typo and meant to write "no gray" since she said it's "still gold." Maybe I'm wrong.
If it's showing gray, that would mean it was only gold plated.

Oh, that's true PD, you're right, it was probably a typo.

Emmaz, you mentioned the pendant came in a red velvet bag. Most Chinese sellers give their pearls in small drawstring bags of some sort so I went through ebay looking for the setting of your pearl, but I did not see one identical to it. However, I did find several 14k gold settings with obviously fake pearls. There is no mention of the pearl being fake in the description but I don't know a single decent pearl seller who sells a flawless 11mm pearl with a gold setting for $25. There are numerous versions of this sort of listing with different settings and pearls, it is a shame these sellers are so deceptive: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Hug...935745?hash=item1a08920041:g:FHAAAOSwAYtWNrpT

But amti, on the listing you linked, it may not even be 14K gold. Stamped 14K does not guarantee it's actually 14K. I've read so many complaints on eBay forums over the years from people who found out their Chinese "14K gold" was anything but.

Thank you it was a typo the is no gray showing at all. The pendant is 14k gold. Red velvet pouch was the original packaging. I doubt it was an estate sale. I live outside the USA, so the sellers do not have any firm authority to answer to.... It probably came from a reseller who shops on Asia and comes to the Caribbean with private stock to sell... The combination of 14lk gold with a fake pearl is just very odd...

It is odd.

But then my grandmother had some 18K gold earrings set with glass (she always thought they were aquamarines). She bought my mother a yellow gold ring with what she thought was also an aqua, and it proved to be synthetic spinel.

I too find the use of the crystals with 14t gold odd...if you're going to use crystals why not just use plate. But, that aside. What to do. I think that Jersey Pearl has a good solution. Take the piece in to a jeweler and have him remove the pearl and take a closer look at it and the Gold Pendant. You can always say it was slightly crooked or even a bit loose to cover taking it in. I know this will cost a bit of money but if this bothers you then at least you can get a definitive answer to the materials.
Once you know what you truly have you can decide how to handle it from there.

I too find the use of the crystals with 14t gold odd...if you're going to use crystals why not just use plate. But, that aside. What to do. I think that Jersey Pearl has a good solution. Take the piece in to a jeweler and have him remove the pearl and take a closer look at it and the Gold Pendant. You can always say it was slightly crooked or even a bit loose to cover taking it in. I know this will cost a bit of money but if this bothers you then at least you can get a definitive answer to the materials.
Once you know what you truly have you can decide how to handle it from there.

I like this idea as well.

Back