Is my pearl a South Sea Pearl?

Emmaz

hello everyone, I'm kind of shy being here. I know nothing about pearls.

A gentleman gave me a pendant as a christmas gift.

It came in very modest (read tacky) packaging, so at first I thought it was a piece of costume jewelry. I wondered if he had gotten ripped off, because this would be very uncharacteristic of him to purchase a costume item.

I am a dentist, I have access to Xrays, and I Xrayed te pearl, I also looked at it very closely, and there are defects.

To answer the questions:

1- I dont now if it is to be considered gritty. It is definitely grittier than the mallorca pearl necklace I bought for a costume party. It has some surface irregularities, however it is very shiny and I can see myself it in. It measures 14mm in diameter almost perfectly round. It is cold to the touch then warms as it is worn. When I shine a UV light on it I can see concentric frosty circles around a nucleus. In the XRay the pearl appears white (opaque), when the density of the beam is adjusted, the outer 2-3mm of the pearl appear more radiolucent. I cant see the drill hole because it's hidden by the setting.

2- I took the pearl to a first jeweler who looked at it very closely and tested the stones and setting. The setting is defintely 14k gold, the stones appear to be CZ, but he had to use an electronic instrument and was not sure, they might just be low end stones, and he said the pearl was genuine cultured, but not a very high end one otherwise te diamonds would have been real.

3- 2 days later i'm in a different jewelry store looking at a different item, and asked the jeweler to show me a pearl necklace to hang the pendant from. The jeweler first identified my pearl as a south sea pearl, but then when i told him it came in a modest package he looked at it 10 seconds without me taking it off my neck and said it was a fake. I asked if he was sure because I had an other opinion, he didnt even let me finish my sentence and just turned his back on me without further ceremony.

4- today I brought in my mallorca necklace to Xray next to the pendant, and obviously it's not the same material since the mallorcas dont even show up on the xray.

5- however, looking closer at my pearl i noticed a slight spot, i scartched it and an entire layer of what appears to be cellophane peeled off! I have read that most cultured pearls are treated and many are coated.

6- I dont know the price range, although i found what appears to be the exact same pendant online for about $500, but the pearl is 11mm, mine is 14mm. the packaging was a plain red velvet pouch, it did not even come with a chain.

My question to the forum is do you think this is a genuine south sea cultured pearl?

thank you for your attention, I look forward to being educated

Attachments

• high beam.JPG
    high beam.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 43
  • low beam.JPG
    low beam.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 43
  • pearl.JPG
    pearl.JPG
    19 KB · Views: 46
  • pearl1 without cellphane.jpg
    pearl1 without cellphane.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 44
  • pearl with piece of cellpohane next to it.jpg
    pearl with piece of cellpohane next to it.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 47
  • pear with cellophane.jpg
    pear with cellophane.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 43
  • compared to mallorca beads.jpg
    compared to mallorca beads.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 40
  • up close.jpg
    up close.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 39
  • HD image.jpg
    HD image.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 43
  • upclose2.jpg
    upclose2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
    77.1 KB · Views: 46
Hi Emmaz. welcome to P-G.

There's no need to be shy, because your question is quite valid and you need information.

I'm not proficient in SS surfaces, but you can expect opinions from those who are.

However, Xrays and profiles are more in my wheelhouse. First of all, it's refreshing to see Xrays from a new poster. We'll see it occasionally, but it certainly helps with identification. Next, these views are notably void of visible contrasts. Very often, shell bead nuclei will present with bisected concentric lines. Thirdly, shell bead nuclei are almost always visible within the perimeter of the views, especially in SS pearls, because nacre thickness is important in higher end pearls. Cultured pearls normally lay up a layer of protein (known as conchiolin) before mineral production occurs and nacre thicknesses > 1mm should be expected.

For the moment, I'm suspicious of it's origin until I see something supporting aqua-cultural practices, but perhaps the nacreous layer is extraordinarily thin (ie) < 1mm. If possible, please attempt other views using a range of resolutions, that we might capture any contrasts either within the nucleus or highlighting the external layers.

On a side note, it's not mounted very well. The drill hole is deeper than it needs to be and the cup does not fit the pearl, which seems odd because it's perfectly round.

Nonetheless, it's a thoughtful gift. Not everyone can be expected to be an expert and there are some less than reputable retailers who'll say just about anything to make a sale. Enjoy it in the spirit from which it was given.

Happy New Year to you.

It honestly looks like an imitation pearl to me, particularly as the coating peels off.

Do you have a 10x loupe? It would be interesting to see what the surface looks like where the coating was removed and compare it with the area with intact coating. Genuine nacre is much finer-grained than imitation pearl coating; the surface may look coarser where the coating was removed.

Also, here is a link to a discussion thread on imitation pearls, replete with photos. Some of the imitations are quite good, but even the best ones I've seen (Majorica brand) look coarser under a 10x magnification than genuine nacre does.

If you can use a loupe to compare your pearl with a known-real or known-fake pearl, it should help.

As to the pearl showing up on XRay, I wonder if it could be a Swarovski imitation pearl? The bead they use is lead crystal. In which case the stones may be Swarovski crystals also.

With the best magnifier you have, look for a makers mark or karat stamp on the metal.

Last edited:
I only have a 3.5x loupe, but for sure it doesn't look a thing like the Mallorca pearls neither upclose, touch/grit, with focused light or xray... The layering nucleus with coats seen with the focused light is my strongest indicator. I didn't expect it to be super high end.... But I think he probably thought it was a real one. I feel bad

Don't feel bad... and I can't think of a single way to resolve this without embarrassing him. He either bought a fake thinking it was real...or bought a fake thinking it looks real. It's entirely possible he thought it was real... my sister bought a strand of Majolica Tahitian pearls and thought they were real since she knew absolutely nothing about pearls. Most people don't have any idea what a pearl would cost.

I'm all about educating people about pearls. I wish there was a good way to let him know because if the pearl was sold as real then the seller should be held accountable. Do you know if he bought it online or at a store? Did it come with a receipt? Maybe you can tell him the pearl is peeling and have him ask the seller about it.

Definitely no way to go around this without embarrassment... I'll just keep it in a box, maybe wear it occasionally... Since it is for sure gold at least it will not make me break out... Lol

Thank you for your answer. At the very least I've learned a lot from this experience. I own a lot of fine jewelry, diamonds, gold, and several high end watches... But no pearls. I guess this was an opportunity to get educated.

Oh, dear.... :(

My mother thought her Majorica pearls were genuine, for many years.

My FIL gave my MIL a strand of pearls which she adored and wore for years. We all thought they were real. After they both passed away, I discovered the truth.

I've owned Majorica pearls and didn't know they were fake until last year when I got interested in pearls. After seeing many photos of real pearls, one sees something about Majorica photos though that makes them look fake, it's a different kind of "shine". But I used to think they were just low-quality pearls, because they're cheap. But I guess for 99% of population, something that looks like a pearl is a pearl. Your pendant is very pretty, and you can always replace the current pearl with a real one if you want.

5- however, looking closer at my pearl i noticed a slight spot, i scartched it and an entire layer of what appears to be cellophane peeled off! I have read that most cultured pearls are treated and many are coated.
It is not common for genuine pearls to be coated. This would always be considered undesirable.
White SSP are cleaned, but my understanding is that they are not treated.

6- I dont know the price range, although i found what appears to be the exact same pendant online for about $500, but the pearl is 11mm, mine is 14mm....

I'm curious about that one you saw on the similar finding. Would you be willing to share the link?

Here's the thing: It's not common for imitation pearls to be mounted on genuine gold settings. Cheap imitation pearls are often set with gold plated base metal. Majorica uses vermeil (gold plated over silver.)

The pearl looks a bit disproportionately large for the setting, IMO. The drill hole size also does not match the pin, and the pearl is poorly aligned with the cup.

I am wondering if there was another, genuine pearl originally on your setting that was replaced with the fake one.

Look, it's your call but if it were me, I would tell the gentleman. He may wish to give you more pearl gifts-- wouldn't you want them to be real? And it would be harder to tell him later.

Welcome, Emmaz,

It's a very graceful pendant
Most South Sea pearls will have a more "satiny" luster, not the mirror reflection of this pearl, where you see colors and shapes clearly, which leads me to believe it's an imitation pearl. And the peeling coating is a clue also. I'd probably replace it with a genuine cultured pearl eventually.

Thank you so much for your answers! I honestly thought it was gold plated as well, but the jeweler scratched it on a piece of slate, and dropped the chemical solution on the mark and It's gold... Also the place that was scratched off is still gold, now gray show through. I was also confused as to why the hole was so deep, but since I know nothing of pearl mountings, I didn't know if this was usual. As for the posting for the similar pendant, I'm going to look for it and post it in a different window. Thank you again, this is a great community of welcoming people. Maybe now I'll think about owning pearls! How my going to tell the gentleman... I'm not sure lol

Available in different sizes and in white or yellow gold. This pendant looks just like mine.

I do believe mine be some type of glass/crystal core, as it is cold to the touch and warns when worn, maybe it is what they call a shell pearl?

I would remove the pearl from the mounting and examine the drill hole. Since the mounting isn't set properly anyway, this is a good option for remounting the existing, or swapping for a new pearl.
eta: I would be kind and honest with your gentleman friend...maybe use the off center mounting as a reason for closer examination of the pearl.

Last edited:
Could he have purchased it secondhand, maybe as an estate piece?

Thank you for the link. PS's pearls for this setting come in various sizes but none larger than 11mm. More cause to think the pearl was swapped out.

Back