Need some help

becc987

I got this pearl necklace from an ex boyfriend in 06 or 07. The pearls do feel a little gritty. They were bought at Kay jewelers and I don't have anything to measure them with which is why I took a pic next to the pen. Can anyone tell me anything about these??

Attachments

• 0924151900.jpg
    0924151900.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 0924151901.jpg
    0924151901.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 0924151905.jpg
    0924151905.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 37
They look to me like a strand of Chinese freshwater cultured pearls, all nacre (no bead inside, unlike akoyas, which is why they are not fully round.)

If the strand is 18" long, then based on how many pearls there are I'm guessing they range from about 5.0-6.0mm.

While freshwater pearls like these are far less costly than saltwater akoya pearls, they are durable due to not having a bead inside, and these seem to have a nice luster to them.

Do you wear them?

I do not wear them. They feel heavy to me and it makes me scared I will break them. I am actually trying to find more info on them because a friend wants to buy them from me

becc987 messaged me that for some reason her replies aren't posting. She says,

"I do not wear them. I find them to be very heavy around my neck. I have a friend who wants to buy them so I'm trying to learn more about them."

I am surprised to hear that they feel heavy as they are rather petite if I am judging the size right.

I think something like this new would probably sell at retail for under $100, if that helps. You can also take the necklace with you and see what stores in your area are selling similar things for, and discount it for being pre-owned.

becc987 messaged me that for some reason her replies aren't posting. She says,

"I do not wear them. I find them to be very heavy around my neck. I have a friend who wants to buy them so I'm trying to learn more about them."

I am surprised to hear that they feel heavy as they are rather petite if I am judging the size right.

I think something like this new would probably sell at retail for under $100, if that helps. You can also take the necklace with you and see what stores in your area are selling similar things for, and discount it for being pre-owned.
I looked at kay where they were bought and they only seen to have something similar but with a silver lobster clasp for $179 and they don't seem as pretty as mine but the next step there is a akoya pearls that are over 1000

You've got a very small strand of freshwater pearls, as Pearl Dreams pointed out. For a second hand strand like this with a 10k clasp, it is going to have much value. I agree that new and at a retail store, around $100 sounds right.

Yes, akoyas will cost quite a bit more. The nacre produced by akoyas has a sharper luster. Each akoya oyster is only implanted with one bead. With freshwater mussels, many implants (of mantle tissue alone, no bead) can be done at the same time in one mussel. The cost of producing akoyas is higher.

I saw the $179 stand, and the pearls are 6-7mm, which I think is a mm larger than yours. But that gives you an idea of what retail is.

Back