Help Me Figure Out What Pearls I Have

TaliLady

Hi Everyone!

As promised in my introductory post, I have taken some pictures of the pearls that I am currently using for my jewelry designs. I'm pretty sure that the pearls that I am using are Chinese freshwater pearls. But I have some pearls that were sold to me as Black Tahitian pearls that I now think (after some research and participating in this forum) are really dyed freshwater pearls.

What I'm also going to do is show pictures of a piece that I have made with each of the pearls, simply for your viewing pleasure.

Ok, here goes.... I'm sorry that these pictures are so huge, but I can't figure out how to make them smaller.

1. These are 6 - 6.5 white freshwater pearls.

6 - 6.5mm white fwp - 2.jpg

white fwp gold chain anklet.jpg

2. 6.5 - 7mm peacock freshwater pearls - Are peacock pearls dyed?

6 - 6.5mm peacock fwp - 1.jpg

peacock pearl scalloped chain necklace.jpg

3. 12mm white large hole freshwater pearls

12mm white fwp - 4.jpg

single pearl gf chain necklace.jpg

4. 9mm gray large hole pearl - These pearls look like they've been in a fight.:D

9mm gray fwp - 4.jpg

gray single pearl necklace.jpg

5. 9mm white large hole pearl

9mm white fwp - 3.jpg

9mm single pearl ss chain necklace.jpg

6. Okay, here are the so-called Black Tahitian baroque pearls. Now that I know a little more I think they are nuggets and not baroque. And of course I now believe they are dyed freshwater. Please confirm on both. The loose pearls in the middle are from a different strand.

so called Tahitian baroques - 3.jpg

Black pearl necklace.jpg

7. And lastly here are pearls that were sold to me as white baroque pearls.

so call white baroque pearls - 2.jpg

so call white baroque pearls - 3.jpg

white pearl labradorite necklace.jpg

So, let me have it. Don't hold back. If I have been dupped, let me know. Better to find out now then later, and I now have some reputable places to shop for my future pearls.

Thanks in advance for taking the time to look.

Yes, all cultured freshwater pearls. The dark ones are dyed. Some peeps prefer to buy and wear only natural colors, but many dyed pearls are pretty and affordable. Lighter gray pearls are dyed or irradiated (a safe process).

Brief summary of Shapes: (from GIA pearl grading manual)

Spherical
Round & Near round

Symmetrical

Oval, Button & Drop

Baroque

Semi-baroque & Baroque (noticeably irregular appearance)

If grooves or rings in the pearl extend completely around the entire circumference, it is described as a circled pearl.

Pearls are also commonly described as nugget, rice, bar, coin, "ripple", keshi; that's all I can come up with right now, but I'm sure others will recall what is in common usage.

Nice designs!

All the pearls are freshwaters.

2. Yes, the peacock freshwater pearls are dyed. Freshwaters do not come in those colors naturally.
6. These are dyed freshwaters. Baroque is an okay word to use-- it refers to the shape not being symmetrical along any axis.

Edit: Pattye beat me to it! :)

I love your designs. They make the freshies look very good.

Thanks everyone! I'm just glad that they are all actually pearls. But now I know what I'm dealing with I will change my descriptions to accurately describe the pearls used in my pieces.

Pattye, yes I know that there are people out there who are what I call "pearl purists". They only want the natural colors. And I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there who think that freshwater pearls just don't cut the mustard. But that's okay. Different strokes for different folks. I love all pearls, natural, cultured, dyed - makes no difference to me. But I think my favorites are the Tahitian and some that I saw somewhere recently - I think maybe on Pearl Girls, called Sea Cortez, or something like that. Stunning! Some day......;)

Last edited:
Tali, if you search here, you will find many examples of Sea of Cortez pearls :) Douglas McLaurin of Cortez Pearls is both a member here and a great pearl farmer and friend to many here :)

PS Tali, your designs are very nice; I especially like that tassel style!

Oh, one more thing. Is it ok to use the term "color treated" as opposed to "dyed"?

Yes, other vendors use that sort of terminology. TPO, for example, uses that same term their dyed FWP. PP uses "treated-black" to describe their black akoyas.

I suppose it's more accurate than just saying "dyed" since sometimes irradiation is also used.

Tali, I've never heard of Pearl Girls, so will check them out, thank you! Lovely classic designs and excellent wire wrapping!

Patty it's thepearlgirls.com run by India Rows. I'm surprised that you have not heard of her because this forum is certainly mentioned on her blog.

Thanks for the compliment. Wire wrapping is my specialty.;)

Yes, other vendors use that sort of terminology. TPO, for example, uses that same term their dyed FWP. PP uses "treated-black" to describe their black akoyas.

I suppose it's more accurate than just saying "dyed" since sometimes irradiation is also used.

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to use "dyed" because I know some of my customers will think if something is dyed that it's going to run or bleed or otherwise wear off. NOT good.:D

Ok, help me out with a dumb question. I have searched through the threads but haven't found anything that specifically addresses the question. Can someone tell me why pearls have to be knotted between pearls? If there is a thread that talks about this please direct me to it. And, am I correct that Chinese freshwater pearls don't need to be knotted when strung? Is it because they are inexpensive? Or does it have something to do with their nature, which makes them more durable - if that makes sense. I'm just very confused on the issue.

Pearls are knotted for three reasons
1 the knot acts as a hinge to allow the necklace to move
2 if the necklace breaks only one pearl gets lost (nb A Murder is Announced by Agatha Christie, very annoying)
3 the knots hold the necklace stable so that all the pearls don't slide to the front middle and leave a gap at the back
(and 4, it looks better)
Chinese freshwater get knotted just like other pearls. It used to be the Japanese style with 3.5 momme strands to only knot the first and last three pearls and no others

Knotting is done for these reasons:

1. If the thread breaks, all of the pearls won't scatter-- at most one will fall and have to be found. The more valuable the necklace, the more important this is.
2. The knot prevents the pearls from rubbing against each other and wearing away over time.
3. It creates flexibility in the necklace. This is less important when the pearls are very small. Note that small round beads can be used in lieu of knots but knots are softer.

Freshwater pearls are less valuable than saltwater pearls, generally, but some can still be quite pricey. They are more durable in that the nacre will never wear away to reveal a bead, but they can be scratched and worn as easily as other pearls.

Edit-- Dang, too slow-- Wendy beat me to it! :)

Thanks ladies for the explanation. Everything makes sense about why to knot.

About the bead being revealed. Am I to understand that freshwater pearls don't have a bead placed inside? So they are only nacre with no bead? Obviously I'm going to have to do more reading. You know how sometimes the more you learn on a subject the more confused you become? That's where I am now.

Back