Mysterious Blue "Pearl" ?

OK, I freely admit that I hang out in pawn shops all the time...made some of my very best jewelry purchases at pawn shops. I am a "regular" at a few places, and they will call me when something special comes in. I actually just purchased several chain necklaces to use for some tin cups. You never know what you'll find...and remember to ask to see the stuff they keep in their vault!

Thanks Red :) Pre-Ruckus I could have passed it around for real expert eyes on it ... but as Riley said, "You're shiny, you're beautiful, I love you and I want to hug you" LOL.

Thanks JerseyPearl ... as my partner likes to say, "Even a stopped clock is right twice a day" ... that's about the level of my photo skills ... hoping there's a happy accident in there somewhere that's close enough I can correct to real life in Photoshop if needed. Now you've got me really curious about pawn shops in Jersey ... I never thought about becoming a "regular" and asking to see the contents of the vault ... great idea. We do also have a great, and expensive local jewelry store with an owner who likes to collect vintage and antique ... I have bought a number of broken chains out of his "scrap gold/meltdown" jar to be converted into bracelets or extender chains; wonderful tip about tin cups!

It sure looks like a blue South Sea pearl to my inexpert eye. Gorgeous colors on the pearl, and I really like the setting. You have acquired a couple of really wonderful pendants, Cathy.

I guess I need to start going to pawn shops! I never thought about that as a source of chain bits for a tin cup.

Thank You KaySD :))) I think a lot of "scrap gold" and jewelry shops that do repairs also are a source for "chain bits", as they usually keep a scrap or melt jar of broken bits around for repairs or just till they accumulate enough for the recyclers. Just inspect carefully ... good hunting ;)

What an amazing pearl and setting! I'd have jumped at it too!

I've been thinking of making a tin cup for myself and have considered purchasing chains at a local coin shop/gold buyer. Glad I'm on the right path. They sell their jewelry by weight, regardless of how ornate it is. Stones don't account for much (nothing, really). I got my daughter some Yurman pieces for a steal last month and she was delighted. Mom has bought quite a lot of their nice custom made gold jewelry. Sadly, I have not seen any neat pearls, so I'll have to venture out to pawn shops. I love finding the unusual!

Do you all think it is a cultured pearl? The shape and setting reminds me of several 1950's unique American freshwater pearl pieces I have seen.
I wouldn't rule that out, yet.

Do you all think it is a cultured pearl? The shape and setting reminds me of several 1950's unique American freshwater pearl pieces I have seen.
I wouldn't rule that out, yet.

At first glance I considered abalone, but on subsequent glances determined the color and surface isn't consistent with that genus. Abalone color presents in growth fronts, but this color is blended. I considered river sources too, but would not expect to observe the stippled surface.

It's reasonable to suggest this pearl is over-mature. There are clear signs of stippling and reversion. This is observed in natural pearls, but rarely seen in cultured pearls because they're generally harvested in juvenile form for highest luster.

It's also reasonable to suggest a bead is present at the nucleus. If it were from a P. maxima of several years of age, I'd expect it to be larger.

Therefore, I believe this pearl to be a blue akoya.

Wow, very impressive detective work, Dave.

Cathy, it is beautiful and such a statement piece!

Thanks Dave for the educational post, I never would have guessed akoya. It's a really beautiful pearl Cathy.

Thank you Dave. I thought it was too big to be akoya ... much appreciate your input and well documented analysis!

Thank you Dave. I thought it was too big to be akoya ... much appreciate your input and well documented analysis!

I haven't given up the possibility of SS origin. It scored one point less is all.

Give any oyster an extra year or two in the water, this is a result.

Sometimes oysters are missed or abandoned at harvest time, perhaps a few may fall the sea floor only to be gathered later.

The only obvious provenance is the setting, which appears fashioned to the pearl. That implies some value, but we can never be sure it's relative to that value.

As to ID, one can never say never without elaborate examination, so on visual analysis alone I'm 60/40 akoya/ss. Same genus, similar species.

So, Cathy, did you get a blue Vietnamese akoya strand for this beauty of a pendant?

Gulp Red ... never thought of putting this on a BV akoya strand! I do have a couple though ... and a new little tiny one on order LOL ... will give them a try :)

Dave, thanks again ... I love reading the science details. I bought it because I loved it's unique personality, and I paid no more than the (tested in front of me) gold setting content, so I'm content :)

I'm going to say South Seas, and perhaps a gassy one. I encountered some pearls similar to these some years ago and went through the old posts to find this picture. Does it look like you are looking through water to see the color? It's really amazing, and a great find. Someone was very smart in the way they set that pearl.

Attachments

• DSCN1252-1.jpg
    DSCN1252-1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 38
Hi Sheryl ... Wow, those 3 pearls are so beautiful! I would say mine does not have the deep underwater luster yours have. But I like it, and I'm crazy about the setting, so it's a win for me :) Thanks for reposting those photos.

Back