Dyed freshwater pearls?

BeeBee

Community member
My mom sent me this from her local Craigslist. Listed as keshi. I'm thinking dyed freshwater?
pearls.jpg

yes, dyed freshwaters, elliptical-ish with potato flats on some. Maybe the seller used 'keishi' because it sounded like a good word to bump up the price.

Not an Expert, just my humble guess here, Bead-nucleated, dyed freshwater. I had a big learning curve with these.

Last edited:
image.jpgHi Wendy! Nope, I've got them that small with beads showing through. God Knows however, I'm not holding her pearls in my hand, and I always yield to greater experience (bow)!

These in my hand seem to even have two different size coin-bead nuclei. Still, I'm not close to being an expert, so just offering an opinion...I'll edit my post above to clarify that.

(further smashing revealed some were beaded and some were not, all in one strand)

Last edited:
Dyed fwp. I would have said no bead inside due to the shapes, but maybe the bead nukes are getting more common.

I hate to break anything, but I think I'll crush these two, to see if the beads are the same size.

the OP's pearls are lovely and nicely regular for the most part. I'd enjoy them, because I like lovely and regular pearls as well as the odd shapes. Each has its place.

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgWell, I'm apparently a little heavy-handed with the flat of a hand-ax. Only one nucleus survived intact, one broke, and one????? Pulverized?

image.jpgimage.jpgThe surviving nucleus is 4mm diameter,
and sort of dome shaped - but could the dome be the pearly build-up?

Last edited:
Please, do not upset Lisa in any way, shape or form!!! :)

Hi Marianne, hehehehe - Anyone need a 'Hatchet Job' ?

I was too impatient to look for a hammer...and there sat the hatchet...

Last edited:
image.jpgimage.jpgLook at how pretty the pearl inside the ugly gold dye-job! I only captured the lovely blue, but it also exhibits rainbow iridescence. These pearls are CFW from China, bought in 2009, so I'm guessing early results of their experiments.

Last edited:
LoL I dribbled my tea over this now I must change dress shirts (thanks a lot heehee)

Please, do not upset Lisa in any way, shape or form!!! :)

Back