Should I send these to GIA for identification?

Robin Marie

I have this string of pearls and would love to know if they are as they were advertised, "natural ocean pearls, not cultured." This was actually from an auction for goodwill charity and the woman handling these happened to know something about pearls. I have restrung them (no jokes it's bad I know ha!) the clasp has also been changed, the original was marked silver, but not sterling. I'd like to know if I should send them to the GIA to verify what they really are or if they even can do this for me? Oh and some of the pearls have little bumps or pits or just imperfections if you look at the second photo I think it shows. Thanks so much!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 32
This brings up an interesting question...when should you send pearls to GIA for a report (or certification, not sure exactly what they do for pearls)?

I would do it only for pearls you're convinced are naturals just for the X-ray and certification for value.

GIA is a "diamonds and colored stones" institution, not pearls. When I toured the Carlsbad campus with their one pearl expert, Doug Fiske, he showed me the contrast between the lab that certifies pearls and the parts of the campus that certify diamonds. I am guessing there were 3-400 diamond people. There was one pearl person and her expertise was differentiating cultured pearls from naturals.

So if GIA's pearl expert's expertise was just in differentiating cultured and natural pearls, then what institution should one send natural pearls for identification and valuation?

No I don't know yet if that's exactly what the GIA does. I was just thinking out loud at what I was interested in.

So if GIA's pearl expert's expertise was just in differentiating cultured and natural pearls, then what institution should one send natural pearls for identification and valuation?

Short of owning an xray, you are probably as objective and experienced as most labs.

I think you are misunderstanding the GIA Carlsbad lab. They are definitely focused on diamonds. But, if the pearls need any specialized examination, GIA Carlsbad will send pearls to their NYC or Bangkok labs. The Bangkok lab is highly skilled in everything pearls. :)

Back