Almost choked on this white pearl I just found in my Oyster! Help!

Shannonkempenich

A couple of hours ago I was slurping down oysters with my girlfriend and all of a sudden I had a smooth round thing floating around in my mouth! I'm not choking anymore, but I could use some help in identifying what it is and how much it's worth (if anything). Thanks for your help!

1. Do the pearls feel slightly gritty or smooth when rubbed gently against your tooth or against another pearl?
It feels smooth to the touch, and smooth against my tooth.

2. Please provide clear, in-focus photos without flash against a white background (a paper towel works nicely.)
Pics attached - You can see that it is teardrop shaped, mainly white with some dark spots (blemishes) on it. They are sort of a purplish/pink color. There is a black spot on the top.

3. Any history you can give us about the pearls. Where/when you or your relative got them, any documentation you have (receipts, appraisals), their price range if you know it, etc.
Based on the information from the restaurant we ate at this particular oyster was a Gulf Oyster from Louisiana.

4. Describe any marks on the clasp. These may be numbers (14K, 585, 750, 925 etc.) or brand names or even pictures.
NA

5. Measure the pearls, with a millimeter ruler if possible. If they are graduated, measure the largest and smallest pearls.
I only had a tape measure with inches on it but I did the conversion: 7/16'' = 11.11mm Long by 1/4'' = 6.35mm Wide

Thanks for your help everyone! If you need any more info I'd be happy to provide it.

-Shannon IMG_3773.jpgIMG_3778.jpgIMG_3780.jpgIMG_3782.jpgIMG_3783.jpgIMG_3786.jpg

Great job! Love the photos! It's an interesting specimen and a real rarity. Congratulations. :)

Thanks! I wish I could find some more info on it though! I'd like to have someone make a necklace out of it for my girlfriend, but it would be nice to have some more detailed info on it. Any ideas?

Edible oysters are not the ones that are farmed for cultured pearls.

Based on where you were eating it, I'm guessing the oyster that produced your pearl is an Eastern Oyster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_oyster

Instead of drilling it and having it set, you could buy a little locket cage and put the pearl in it. There are various ones on eBay, some quite pretty.

Back