Hours of research and I have nothing!!! Please help!

mandalynn

Hours and hours of research and I've come up with nothing. I have an vague idea of what type of pearls these may be but that's about it. I found this necklace in a thrift store almost two years ago, I thought it looked and felt like it shouldn't really be there so it came home with me. I know nothing of its history, but find the small bead of jade attached to the clasp interestingand have tried to identify with that but have found nothing. There are 19 white pearls and 15 black pearls. There is a cut stone used as a spacer between every third pearl, the cuts are not by any means identical as none of these look exactly alike. The thread is yellowed and knotted between every pearl. Some of the white pearls have a ring in the center and a few have a flattened side. The black pearls look as if they do not have as many imperfections and are more round than the white. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, if there is any value at all, I would like to sell it to help meet some needs of my family, as I said I really have no idea where to begin.

Thank You

It sounds interesting, possibly a handcrafted item by someone who enjoys beading as a hobby. We look forward to photos.

Take a close look at the clasp and see if it is stamped with any metal mark-- maybe 925 for silver, 14kGF or 14/20 for gold filled, etc.

To post photos, click on "go advanced" and then "manage attachments" and that will open a window to enable you to upload photos directly from your computer.

photo coming soon

photo coming soon

I have not been able to upload a photo as of yet Due to my desktop being down and mobile is all I can access at the moment. I hope to get one uploaded as soon as possible. there are markings on the clasp (I think it's an alligator clip type) but the marking is worn and not legible. :(
The clasp is gold in color.

QUOTE=Pearl Dreams;136434]It sounds interesting, possibly a handcrafted item by someone who enjoys beading as a hobby. We look forward to photos.

Take a close look at the clasp and see if it is stamped with any metal mark-- maybe 925 for silver, 14kGF or 14/20 for gold filled, etc.

To post photos, click on "go advanced" and then "manage attachments" and that will open a window to enable you to upload photos directly from your computer.[/QUOTE]

Photos...

Photos...

I look forward to any advice you can give, even if it's not worth anything, it has been very intrigueing at the least!! :) Thank You

Attachments

• 20150504_215508.jpg
    20150504_215508.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20150504_215547.jpg
    20150504_215547.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 35
I color corrected your photo (assuming white background) to get a better look.

Although the photos are a bit out of focus, it looks to me like you have a strand of baroque (white) and potato (black) freshwater pearls, the dark ones being dyed. I think the spacer beads may be smokey quartz and the little charm on the clasp looks like aventurine.

The lobster claw clasp may be sterling silver or may be gold filled-- I can't tell the from the color-- probably not base metal.

All in all I'd say you have a pretty, hand-made strand of lower-grade pearls and quartz that, unfortunately, does not have much resale value. You could consign it...optimistically you may get $10 for it after the store takes its cut.

Attachments

• mandalynn's color-corrected photo.jpg
    mandalynn's color-corrected photo.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Let me add that if you are a craftsy person, drop in at the Lowly Beaders Club and you may find ideas for how to rework it into another piece, assuming you are tired of wearing it as it is. :)

Mandalynn,

Thank you for showing your necklace. It's easy to get interested in pearls! I'm wondering how you would describe the color of the gemstone beads? They could be smoky quartz, if they are brown, but perhaps if dark blue gray they might be labradorite (any flashes of aqua or blue?) or if dark blue violet, they might be iolite? None of these would change the value of your necklace, but it would be fun to know what they are.

Thanks so much for the input guys. I think I will hang on to them I like the story of finding pearls for 2.oo! :) The spacer stone is a dark brown.

Let me add that if you are a craftsy person, drop in at the Lowly Beaders Club and you may find ideas for how to rework it into another piece, assuming you are tired of wearing it as it is. :)

Back