Pearl necklace bought 40 years ago

Scagnetti

Some opinions please on what these pearls are and an estimate of the value of the necklace.

Here's the 411:
- This necklace was purchased new 40 years ago from a small, trusted, independent jeweler in Manhattan's Diamond District.
- Excluding clasp, the necklace is 26 1/4" long.
- The pearls are 65 mm wide, smooth and have a pink cast to them.
- Stamped on the clasp are the letters 14K.

Thank you in advance for your help.

16lfp0n.jpg

xavz10.jpg

122gdbb.jpg

24mfc5z.jpg

If the history is correct, and with the photos, I'd say you have a strand of unbranded 6.5mm cultured akoya (saltwater) pearls with a clean surface. They have nice luster, and the length is a plus.

They should be restrung-- silk absorbs skin oils, environmental grime etc. and over the years it becomes dirty and weakened. If it breaks, the necklace may be lost. The knots appear to have gotten dirty over the years. If you are keeping the pearls, you may wish to restring them yourself to save money. See the tutorials stickied on the Lowly Beader's Club. (This is actually not hard to do-- I restring my own all the time.)

As to value-- are you talking about replacement value, or resale value? Replacement value will always be higher. Look at similar strands new online to see what they are selling at, and there is your replacement value.

Resale value is going to be lower.
• Pearls do not tend to hold their value unless they are historic or a well-known and desirable brand like Mikimoto.
• Pearl nacre tends to thin over the years with wear.
• The buyer will have to restring them, which is often $3+ per inch (one person here was quoted $1 per knot).
• Smaller pearls are less in vogue today. The advent of high quality round cultured freshwater pearls has made it more affordable for ladies to buy larger pearls-- and we do!
• If you consign them, you will lose about 50-55% of the sale price to the consignment shop.
• eBay has its fees as well.

You might sell them on Diamond Bistro.

To see what customers are currently paying for a similar strand, check sold items on eBay. But if it were me, I'd restring them and wear them.

If the history is correct, and with the photos, I'd say you have a strand of unbranded 6.5mm cultured akoya (saltwater) pearls with a clean surface. They have nice luster, and the length is a plus.
To see what customers are currently paying for a similar strand, check sold items on eBay. But if it were me, I'd restring them and wear them.
Thank you Pearl Dreams for your reply.

This necklace will be given as a birthday gift to my daughter-in-law and will not be sold. I just wanted to be able to give her some information on the necklace and you've done that.

As you suggested, I looked on sold items on eBay a found some similar necklaces. The link below (14K gold beautiful 20.5" long 6.5mm Akoya pearl strand necklace) is one of those items. Would you agree this is representative of the value of my necklace?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-gold-beautiful-20-5-034-long-6-5mm-Akoya-pearl-strand-necklace-/291409920451?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d96281c3&nma=true&si=8730v6HgNx93OGSiQ9G3F7aUVhQ%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I am only a consumer and not any kind of expert on the current values of used pearls, which is why I suggested the eBay search to see what price similar items actually achieved recently. (It's a little like doing a CMA on houses.)

Since you found a similar item selling at that price recently, I think you can fairly tell her that the resale value is in the $200-225 range -- although it could be higher since your strand is longer. Replacement value for insurance purposes would be higher but it's probably not worth paying to get a written appraisal.

I also checked eBay just now and found three 6.5mm vintage akoya strands that sold between $128.75 and $169, but the low end one was yellowed and the $169 end one had blemishes. Yours looks like it's better quality and in better condition.

Since it's to be a gift, I suggest restringing it before giving it to her.

Lucky daughter-in-law :)

If I can add to this, I just got a really sad looking strand from a thrift store of all places, and I took it to Pearl and Clasp in Manhattan and they charged $2/inch. I think they cleaned them too but the guy didn't know for sure (?) he said "the restringer might have," but looking at my photos before I think they almost certainly did. It's a very small operation but they are reliable, do good quality work, and are affordable. I understand they do mail order too, in case you aren't anywhere near midtown Manhattan. Though judging by your username and necklace history you might be! :)

Oh and PS that is a lovely strand and you have a very lucky daughter in law!!

I want to thank all of you for your help. I've learned more about pearls through the posters on this site than I would've expected.

Initially, I was not in favor of having the necklace restrung. I just didn't see the need for it but after looking at my pics and inspecting the necklace, I'm going to have it done. The knots are really dirty and there's no question that the necklace has stretched, quite badly in some places.

TahitianDreamin, back in the day I could just get on the N train at the 8th Ave stop in Brooklyn and just make the short trip into Manhattan but alas, I now live in this far away place called Dallas, Texas. I've located a local jeweler who will do it for $3 an inch and they'll be able to complete the work in a week. I think it will be well worth the money.

I'm glad you decided to restring them. Fresh silk will make them a really beautiful and wearable gift.

Back