What kind of pearls are these?

Rebecka

I received this necklace as a gift from my former mother-in-law. She had received them as a gift from her husband, he had bought it while abroad on a business trip. I asked her if she knew anything about the pearls, but unfortunately she didn't. It was such a long time ago that she had received them that she didn't remember in which country he had bought them. The latest that he could have bought them would have been in the 90s, but they could have been bought much earlier than that. They live on the Arabian peninsula, and my former father-in-law went on business trips to different countries on the Arabian peninsula, Russia and Germany regularly. He visited other countries as well, but these are the places he visited the most. The pearls measure 9-10mm, are gritty. There are no marks on the clasp, I am not sure what material it is made of. If it is gold then it is incredibly dirty and hasn't been cleaned for decades.

mitthalsband.jpg
mitthalsband2.jpg
mitthalsband3.jpg

These pearls are ringed cultured freshwater pearls. The clasp appears to be brass or base metal and likely screws together. They probably were pretty large for freshwater pearls at the time they were purchased! These don't have a bead nucleus, so are pretty much all nacre. Most of us that have been collecting pearls for many years have some similar necklaces in our jewelry box. They don't have much value, but can be fun mixed in with gemstones and other pearls for casual wear, oh, and fun in bracelets.

Pattye, thanks :) It's good to know a little about my pearls. My former mother-in-law never liked them, but I really do.
How would you mix them with gemstones and other pearls? By restringing? (Can you tell how clueless I am about pearls? ;) )

A really easy way to get started on your own would be to make two stretch bracelets out of this strand :)

- Karin

There are some amazing creations to be seen and to inspire in the Lowly Beaders section of this forum.
There is also a huge amount of information about stringing your own pearls so you can really have fun!

KarinK, that's a good idea!

Happy Huku, I will have to make my way over to the Lowly Beaders section then :)

Rebecka, I like bracelets as they can change look very easily, depending on how you pair them.

I have some stretch (also in lava stones), some with pearls dangling from cotton thread, a 35'' inch robe with tiny pearls that can be tripled, a gold charms bracelet with South Sea pearls, one with Tahitians interspaced by faceted rubies ('cause I didn't have enough Kamoka pearls for a full bracelet), a three standed with akoya looking FW made with an old clasp, etc. Made them all myself and they can take me anywhere from Rock n' Roll to High Class. Mainly do the first version...

- Karin

Back