These are Chinese Freshwater right?

TahitianDreamin

Hello again!

I came upon these today, they are in bad shape, strung on a string, no matching. They're essentially loose. They seem like Chinese Freshwaters to me (please correct me if I am wrong as I am pretty new to this!) but the thing that is wigging me out is that a few of them look almost faceted. Check out the pictures. What is this/what causes it?

IMG_4161.jpgIMG_4160.jpg

Many thanks again, love this forum!

:)

Holy cow, they do look faceted! Hmmm...

That was trendy a while back, but I don't think most big concerns made enough money to justify producing them. I'm going to give them another look, while other posters catch up.

well, now I'm not so sure - are they faceted, or etched? They don't look quite right for faceting. Whatever was done, was done in a tentative fashion. Let's see what the real pros say. In the meantime could you, would you please? take and post photos that focus on the worked beads? Thanks so much :)

Last edited:
pretty unusual but looks faceted to me as well.

Hey guys

Here are more photos. I guess I was just thinking that these were some type of natural occurrence...lol. Whoops. Well anyway like I said before they are literally just smashed together on this string. Just terrible.

IMG_4165.jpgIMG_4163.jpg

Another question, do you guys know anything about a necklace like this? Pearls are fake but the clasp is stamped 925 in a peculiar font. It's got these weird hard flowers on it too. Just weird all around. I don't know why they would have bothered with a 925 clasp for some cheap plastic beads. :confused:

IMG_4168.jpgIMG_4167.jpgIMG_4169.jpg

Oh oops and this last one was a weird looking one I too a picture of, I thought I removed it though. Oh well. There it is, ha! Kind of looks like a tooth or something. I wonder if anyone will be able to find a use for these... :/

Attachments

• IMG_4166.jpg
    IMG_4166.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Tissue nucleated (cultured) freshwater pearls, as the toothy one & others in your last photo, don't have a bead inside, so come in all shapes and sizes!

The one with the blue roses might have been made by someone crafty, ahem, yes, somewhat unusual combination.

Thanks, I thought so (re facets) but optically I'm sort of thrown off by the fact that the 'faceted' areas looked pillowy, instead of flat. That made me think "carving?, with a tool, like Chi" (embarrassed, I can't recall his full name). I'm grateful we have real experts to call upon!

Pattye, your stash is one novel goodie after another! I wish I could poke around in it.

The honey comb pearls are pretty cool! 925 is sterling silver so it is not too expensive.

The honey comb pearls are pretty cool! 925 is sterling silver so it is not too expensive.

Sigh, I remember the days when silver was only $4 or $5 an ounce...then again, I remember when gas was about 1/10 of what it costs now...ACK!!!!must stop!!!feeling like a fossil!

To change the subject, I too have wondered about the faceted pearls that actually look pillowy, rather than having flat facets. Some of these fall into what I would consider "high-end" faceted pearls, set as a ring or pendant. Anybody have any idea how that effect is achieved?

Here's a couple of photos. I know at one time we chatted about a possible coating on the faceted pearls, but I've checked these with a loupe and I'm pretty sure these don't have a coating. The purple are dyed, of course. I've had these for quite a few years. Obviously the ones Galatea is faceting now are much higher quality and more finely done.

I feel that pillowy, puffy look may be an optical illusion. On my pearls you can clearly see the flat surface.

P1030436.jpg

P1030434.jpg

Oh, interesting that they look puffy/rounded and that they are actually flat.

Yes, I've read that the flat facets create that optical illusion. I like it-- and have never heard of them on FWP.

That tooth-shaped FWP has dreamy luster!

Yes, the convex look is confusing even when you see them up close. :)

I remember seeing them a couple of years ago on eBay.. must have been a bit of a 'thing' that fizzled out. Certainly still used on faceted stone beads .. that 'soccer ball' look. That strand could be cute if washed and restrung a bit like a 'harvest' strand. Two of my favorite summer strands are inexpensive mixed shape white pearl ropes that I wear together doubled.

The other one with the silver beads looks like it used Thai or Bali bead findings. The Thais quite like that flower pattern... heaps of variations. The flowers look like the resin ones you get on eBay.

Patty you do have a collection of things !!

Back