Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These are Chinese Freshwater right?

Hello again!

I came upon these today, they are in bad shape, strung on a string, no matching. They're essentially loose. They seem like Chinese Freshwaters to me (please correct me if I am wrong as I am pretty new to this!) but the thing that is wigging me out is that a few of them look almost faceted. Check out the pictures. What is this/what causes it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4161.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	408549Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4160.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	408550

Many thanks again, love this forum!

Holy cow, they do look faceted! Hmmm...

That was trendy a while back, but I don't think most big concerns made enough money to justify producing them. I'm going to give them another look, while other posters catch up.

well, now I'm not so sure - are they faceted, or etched? They don't look quite right for faceting. Whatever was done, was done in a tentative fashion. Let's see what the real pros say. In the meantime could you, would you please? take and post photos that focus on the worked beads? Thanks so much :-)
    Last edited by lisa c; 04-22-2015, 05:19 PM.

Comment

Yes, those pearls are faceted! It gives them a sort of "honey comb" look. Good call, Lisa.
      Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

pretty unusual but looks faceted to me as well.
        Kevin Canning
        Pearls Of Joy
        www.PearlsOfJoy.com
        Read My Blog
        FaceBook Fan Page
        1-800-451-1411

Comment

They were pretty low budget, Kevin, probably not on your pearl'dar, lol. If I have time I will take a photo of some in my stash~
          Pattye

Comment

Hey guys

Here are more photos. I guess I was just thinking that these were some type of natural occurrence...lol. Whoops. Well anyway like I said before they are literally just smashed together on this string. Just terrible.

Name:	IMG_4165.jpg
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	359576Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4163.jpg
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	359578

Another question, do you guys know anything about a necklace like this? Pearls are fake but the clasp is stamped 925 in a peculiar font. It's got these weird hard flowers on it too. Just weird all around. I don't know why they would have bothered with a 925 clasp for some cheap plastic beads.

Name:	IMG_4168.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	359579Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4167.jpg
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	359580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4169.jpg
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	359581

Oh oops and this last one was a weird looking one I too a picture of, I thought I removed it though. Oh well. There it is, ha! Kind of looks like a tooth or something. I wonder if anyone will be able to find a use for these... :/
            Attached Files
            Last edited by TahitianDreamin; 04-22-2015, 06:52 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Tissue nucleated (cultured) freshwater pearls, as the toothy one & others in your last photo, don't have a bead inside, so come in all shapes and sizes!

The one with the blue roses might have been made by someone crafty, ahem, yes, somewhat unusual combination.
              Pattye

Comment

Thanks, I thought so (re facets) but optically I'm sort of thrown off by the fact that the 'faceted' areas looked pillowy, instead of flat. That made me think "carving?, with a tool, like Chi" (embarrassed, I can't recall his full name). I'm grateful we have real experts to call upon!

Comment

Pattye, your stash is one novel goodie after another! I wish I could poke around in it.

Comment

The honey comb pearls are pretty cool! 925 is sterling silver so it is not too expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by kelluvpearls View Post
                      The honey comb pearls are pretty cool! 925 is sterling silver so it is not too expensive.
                      Sigh, I remember the days when silver was only $4 or $5 an ounce...then again, I remember when gas was about 1/10 of what it costs now...ACK!!!!must stop!!!feeling like a fossil!

To change the subject, I too have wondered about the faceted pearls that actually look pillowy, rather than having flat facets. Some of these fall into what I would consider "high-end" faceted pearls, set as a ring or pendant. Anybody have any idea how that effect is achieved?

Comment

Here's a couple of photos. I know at one time we chatted about a possible coating on the faceted pearls, but I've checked these with a loupe and I'm pretty sure these don't have a coating. The purple are dyed, of course. I've had these for quite a few years. Obviously the ones Galatea is faceting now are much higher quality and more finely done.

I feel that pillowy, puffy look may be an optical illusion. On my pearls you can clearly see the flat surface.

Name:	P1030436.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	359583

Name:	P1030434.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	359584
                        Pattye

Comment

Oh, interesting that they look puffy/rounded and that they are actually flat.

Comment

Thank you for showing us more, it's helpful

Comment

Yes, I've read that the flat facets create that optical illusion. I like it-- and have never heard of them on FWP.

That tooth-shaped FWP has dreamy luster!

Comment

Working...
                              X