Need your expert opinion on these Golden South Sea strand

MelT

Hi,
I need your opinion on these pearls. I have my reservations about them and just want to hear what you guys think.
I am currently in talk with a friend's cousin who is in the process of setting up a pearl farm in Palawan Philippines.
this is the only photo I have that she has sent me. She said that these are the quality and color of the pearls that the farm can produce.... 11004222_775206295902933_1828439147_n.jpg

Hey Mel,

Did they actually produce the pearls or are these the color they "can produce"? Wanting to produce dark gold GSSPs and actually proving you can do it are two different things.

and most of the pearls that I have seen so far are dyed golden and have that off slick oil look to them....and the lustre to me is a bit off too... like that strand....

It's hard to tell from that picture. Can you get a closer shot?

MelT,

Sounds like you see the definite Red Flags in this venture. We know expert technicians are only a piece of the pearl growing picture. AAA pearls are only a small percentage of a harvest. We will certainly be interested in your report if you visit. Unless there is an issue of translating language and misinterpretation, some whopping big lies are being told.

The set of pearls proves nothing.

Hi,
I need your opinion on these pearls. I have my reservations about them and just want to hear what you guys think.
I am currently in talk with a friend's cousin who is in the process of setting up a pearl farm in Palawan Philippines.
this is the only photo I have that she has sent me. She said that these are the quality and color of the pearls that the farm can produce....View attachment 33580

It's reasonable to assume if the farm is suitably located, adequately funded, properly managed with no environmental disasters and the technicians are experienced, one could expect only a small percentage of their harvest to yield large dark golden pearls of eight way roller quality.

"You got to know when to fold em, know when to hold em, know when to walk away , know when to run..." She should run. The money is gone no point in losing more. As the old saying goes..." just throwing good money after bad.." . I hope she stops but you have done your best. There is nothing more for you to do and imho I know it's hard but at this point it's probably best to stay out of it. Could turn into a bad family drama. She's not going to appreciate your opinion no matter how this turns out. (and I think we can all see how it's going to go)

Best of luck to her...and to you !

"You got to know when to fold em, know when to hold em, know when to walk away , know when to run..." She should run. The money is gone no point in losing more. As the old saying goes..." just throwing good money after bad.." . I hope she stops but you have done your best. There is nothing more for you to do and imho I know it's hard but at this point it's probably best to stay out of it. Could turn into a bad family drama. She's not going to appreciate your opinion no matter how this turns out. (and I think we can all see how it's going to go)

Best of luck to her...and to you !

Katbran ,
you are absolutely correct... I am planning to stay out of it :) I grew up in a business minded family and have seen a fair bit of drama, specially when money is involved....I also have seen what it is required to run a business and things that can go wrong if you are not ready...

What are the problems? It takes about 10 years before you can harvest some nice pearls and then you have still lost a fortune starting a new farm.
And when the pearls are not deep gold you just make them deep gold. I would not buy them but I always see them on the HKG Fair and they seem to go like hot cakes. Especially the ladies from Greenhills pearl market in Manila I have seen buying them, even pistacio dyed South Sea pearls hahahaha.

Back