I used nail polish remover on My Grandmothers Pearl!

Frost Me

On purpose of course! My grandmother wore this beautiful pearl drop everyday until she gave it to me in the 80's. It's has a 10K pendant mounting and was purchased in a Rothchilds in OKC 1960. She always thought is was a real cultured pearl. Today, looking at the peeling luster, pin pricks, cracks and oil slick orient?hmmm, this is not a freshwater. So nail polish away and cotton, took off the lovely gummy golden faux surface and revealed the glass/shell bead. Glass pearls in the late 50's? Well, I guess after some research, yes there was (always learning).

My point is I would like to salvage and reuse the pendant mounting. Is this possible, possible for me to remove myself?

IMG_7012.jpg

Frost Me,

Yes, you can be successful removing the bead to reuse the mounting, great idea! Here's a discussion of removal/kinds of glues that you will find helpful.

The idea is to soak the pendant in very hot water over a period of time. Probably there is a pin going down into the bead, so with gentle wiggling you can decide if it is getting loose. Let us know how it goes.

Thank you so much Pattye, I knew a Pearl Queen would know. I really appreciate it. Edit: the mounting is 12k so I feel it's worth a makeover with a real pearl!

That was too fast. I boiled water in a glass in microwave, placed glass pearl in water. Waited for a bit, then gently twisted it off!

IMG_7015.jpg

I had a good laugh yesterday, because by the time I saw the post, you had already taken it off. This forum is full of great advice from our talented members! :)

Back