Look what I found in an antiques/collectables shop!!

Happy Huku

I've been after some pearls/gemstone beads for a long overdue project for some time and found these in an antiques/collectables shop.

Just thought I'd share the conversation I had with the shopkeeper with you all...

Label said '1940's 50's seed pearls. AU$55'

I said (very politely) "So how can you tell they are seed pearls from the 40's/50's?" (thinking, with wonder, surely they are 80's CFW?? I'll check with PG anyway...)

Shopkeeper said "They come from one of my very reliable suppliers and if they said they are 40's/50's seed pearls, then that's what they are."

I said (again very politely) "Oh, okay, that's great... Thank you very much, they are just what I am looking for!" (thinking with amusement how 'reliable' her supplier must be!!)

Many photos later, I'm afraid this was the best I could do - so what kind of pearls do I really have??!!

Pearls approx 5mm, length of string approx 38cm, no marks on clasp.

P1010527.jpg

The shopkeeper and her suppliers were incorrect in labeling these as "seed pearls." That term would be correctly applied to tiny pearls of approx 2mm and smaller. Still, 5mm is not large, compared to what we are seeing today with so many pearls 10mm and up.

Thank you for your replies...

Wouldn't I love to suggest the 'reliable supplier' does a bit of reading on this forum so that they are reliably informed about their product?!
I'm glad I was under no illusion about what I was buying, just wish I had been braver in the shop but I was trying hard not to laugh at the time!

Anyway, as I said earlier, they will do for my planned project and I'm happy with that!

Back