"Saved" from a local antique booth- what am I?

zoocache

Hi there- first time poster. I'm zoocache here in Kalamazoo, MI. I love to pick and treasure hunt and sell on EBay (as zoocache) as a way to further my addiction! I love antique jewelry, especially Victorian, Art Nouveau and Edwardian. I saw these and, honestly, just fell in love with the clasp. It is OLD. I think late 1890s early 1900s. The top is worked in a silver repousse leaf pattern and holds a small red stone- probably garnet? The base of the clasp is gold hallmarked like this <750> i.e. 18kt. There is no other maker information on it.

Super dirty and not that pretty when I bought it. The seller made a comment about the color- creamy w/ a bit of yellow- "too bad there're not pink." I paid $100 for them, mostly because my mother loved pearls and I just remembered she always said old pearls were the best. I was actually poking around this site looking at the restringing tutorials when I saw this thread and thought I'd give it a chance.

They range from 4mm to 7.5mm (center pearl). 21.5" long and a total of 83 pearls.

I washed them and photographed them as directed. WOW! They really came alive when I washed them. I still think they are probably all their money at $100 but I would love to know more. They really aren't blemished much and in great shape- hardly any wear to them. They pass the gritty test- rubbed against each other gently. Also, the best color representation is the last one. They are a pretty pale off-white cream. The "yellow" came off when I washed them!

I hope you can tell me what I have and maybe a general idea of worth. I am not going to sell them, as I have my only little Margaret and I thought this would be a perfect strand for her, someday.
View attachment 33101View attachment 33102View attachment 33103View attachment 33104View attachment 33105View attachment 33106View attachment 33107

Such a pretty necklace and clasp. I hope some of the experts come by soon, but I think many of them are in Tucson right now.

Great photos! The close ups show the surface characteristics of genuine pearls.

You have a graduated strand of cultured akoya pearls. They look like nice pearls, and the clasp is really great. It is possible the clasp was added later during a restringing-- or it could be original.

During WWII / Korean War era, graduated strands were sold in Japan to soldiers and others working overseas, who would buy them to bring them home to their sweethearts. Because they were graduated, the cost was kept down. These strands were called 3.5 momme strands (momme being a unit of weight for pearls). Yours has a fancier clasp than one typically sees with these pieces. You got more than your money's worth IMO.

I would definitely restring them -- they will look better and you won't risk losing them. Old, dirty silk is prone to breaking.

You can have it done professionally or check out the various restringing tutorials on the Lowly Beaders Club forum here on P-G.

You sure did pick well! I love the clasp, and the luster is SUPER!

Zoocache, those are lovely pearls, and the clasp is beautiful ... congratulations!

I think that you did very well on the price. Restring and enjoy! :)

How long is the strand,18"? and hello zoo cache, I'm glad you're hanging around and posting.

I just noticed, the inside-of-the-clasp surface of the gem has a flat table! I wonder how the gemstone would show with the flat table outside.

Last edited:
Congrats! What a nice find! I agree with pattye and Pearl Dreams; they look like cultured akoya pearls. They look to have clean surfaces and nice luster. But definitely get them restrung and enjoy!

Flat base stone, cut in a modified rose type cut - not unusual in older clasps. :)

You found a beautiful strand and clasp for a great price! I know they'll be treasured and worn alot after restringing!

Back