Necklace and earring set with gold and diamond accents

Slraep1

I have no idea what kind of pearls I have or their value. Any help is appreciated. I do know they were bought here in the states at a jewelry shop and they are at least 35 years old.
IMG_0402.jpgIMG_0403.jpgIMG_0404.jpgIMG_0405.jpgIMG_0406.jpgIMG_0409.jpg

Forgot to mention on the clasp is does say 14K and something behind it but I cant tell. Also I did the tooth test and they are a little gritty feeling.

Hi there Slraep1, Welcome,

Very lustrous pearls you have here! These look like "button" shape cultured freshwater pearls, nucleated with a piece of tissue. They certainly are nicely matched. Are the earring pearls button shape also? If they are round, rather than flattened, they would be Akoya pearls. This shape freshwater pearl was the next generation after the small, wrinkled "rice krispie" shape pearl.

Last edited:
It's not the original Slraep, but it's about time we had another clever member! :)

Those pearls are really beautiful. They are button-shaped, but 35 years ago, those were the finest of the freshwater buttons and it would make sense that they were purchased in a jewelry store. I agree with Pattye, that the earrings could be akoya pearls. Just lovely. :)

Is it really Slraep? That'd be nice!

So I am piecing the puzzle pieces together and apparently there was a user before with the nickname slraep? This is funny because I initially tried that username and couldn't get it to work. Thought I was being original spelling pearls backwards...guess not :eek:

And about this set. I do love it but I have found so many other pieces I love more.....yokolondon.com...cough (yeh I know , dream on Alice). So I need to figure out how much it's worth and rehome it. Oh and the earrings are more plump round pearls. Also this set is heavy, feels nice, I just never wear them.

I don't think the strand is worth much, aside from any sentimental value it may have, of course. Secondhand, my guess is under $50. Here's an ebay "sold" listing for comparison:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Jewelry-Wat...14k+gold+strand&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

The earrings, assuming akoya, 14k gold and diamonds, maybe about $150 or $200?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ya+14k+gold+earrings+with+diamonds&_sacat=281

Keep in mind I'm no expert and probably don't know what I'm talking about! :p

Sea Urchin is right. It's a sad fact that second hand pearls may not sell for much. It's better to give them as a gift. :)

I don't think the strand is worth much, aside from any sentimental value it may have, of course. Secondhand, my guess is under $50. Here's an ebay "sold" listing for comparison:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Jewelry-Wat...14k+gold+strand&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

The earrings, assuming akoya, 14k gold and diamonds, maybe about $150 or $200?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ya+14k+gold+earrings+with+diamonds&_sacat=281

Keep in mind I'm no expert and probably don't know what I'm talking about! :p

Well that doesn't get me much closer to my signature piece so I think I will keep them. I tell my husband if I ever get married again it will be a rich OLD man that loves to buy me pearls. (We have a great relationship and he has a great sense of humor so we joke about these things).

What is your signature piece? Do tell us! We love to share dreams :)

- Karin

The earrings are unusual and lovely :) While your necklace may not be your signature dream now, it is gold and very pretty pearls ... perhaps a bit of modernization ... maybe a pearl and gold enhancer for the center or other new touch?

Well that doesn't get me much closer to my signature piece so I think I will keep them. I tell my husband if I ever get married again it will be a rich OLD man that loves to buy me pearls. (We have a great relationship and he has a great sense of humor so we joke about these things).
LOL and most of us who are single have figured out we will be buying pearls for ourselves and feel comfortable doing so! The traditional model of men gifting pearls and jewelry for special occasions is definitely changing.

Lots of us have learned to knot pearls, which gives us options in redesigning jewelry we already own. Here is a pearl necklace one of our talented members knotted on navy thread, to be worn with a ribbon tie and as she's a goldsmith, made an optional beautiful clasp! You'll notice the pearls are the button shape like yours.

Another thread of possible interest to you : Ways to Wear the White Pearl Necklace

I agree with Pattye. I've been married for over 35 years, and have realized that if I am ever to get the jewelry that I want in my lifetime, I needed to start buying it myself.

I've put together quite a collection in the past few years. ;)

Well, I combine the two methods, buy pearls for myself for every occasion then thank my husband for them. :p

You ladies are funny! My dh has done a pretty good job of picking out pearls for me (along with other jewelry items). My mother trained him well, as she would tag along on his buying trips (which mostly meant she would pick out items for him to choose from). He must have learned a few things during those trips (mom passed a few years ago) because he's done exceptionally well at selecting unique jewelry and pearls for me. eta: he's still a work in progress, after 23 years of marriage...but then aren't they all?

Well, I combine the two methods, buy pearls for myself for every occasion then thank my husband for them. :p

Well, yes. Also, for Christmas I selected a necklace by a local designer and paid half down and came home and told dh what I wanted for Christmas. It was there on Christmas morning. :D

Smart woman Red! Early on in our marriage I used to try hinting ... ooooo isn't that lovely.... ooooo I REALLY like that..... a few weeks before xmas ....but then the day rolls around and I get something that is nice, it's reasonably expensive, and I have no interest in it what so ever. After a few years (I am a slow learner) I learned that hinting to men just doesn't work .. sorry men for the sweeping sexist generalization.. but in MY experience it doesn't work. So I learned not to say " oh look..(as we drive along) .. there is an art show on in the town square....(as we drive past) and John -bless his literal little heart- would say ' oh..yes ..there is ..'

Now I say ... ;I saw something at xxxxxx and it's the third thing from the left in the front window..I've sent you a photo ....' AND ... "Oh look John, there's an Art Show on in the town square...stop the car and let me out, I'm going in, come if you like if not I'll see you in two hours.

If you don't ask..you don't get..

Back