SS or Tahitian? Keshi or nucleated?

cyndayco

While I was shopping for my sister's birthday present, I saw this pearl on display with typical white SSP flameballs. I was intrigued by the luster, the ripples on its surface and the gradation of color--like it was a pearl that wanted to be something else but fell short.

The vendor suspects it is nucleated but only because it was sold in a lot of fireballs. I think it may be a gas giant, but at 18.8x14.2x13.5mm, it is smaller than Jewelmer's gas giants.

What do you think?

CaptionCaptionCaptionIMG_2938.jpg

Flameballs are bead nucleated freshwaters, not sea pearls, or at least that is what I understand by 'flameball'. The lustre looks too shiny shiny for SSP which have more satiny lustre usually
It could be a souffle or one of the new nucleated souffle type pearls from one producer in China. It's about the right size for that and looks very like the ones I saw last time in HK. Does it feel hollow or solid? I've got some similar but haven't got around to doing anything with most of them yet (dither dither)

You're probably right, Wendy, although the mistake of referring to the pearls in the display case as flameballs could be mine alone, and not the vendor's. Nevertheless, there are baroque SSPs and Tahitians that have a flameball-esque shape.

As for the shine, I do have semi-baroque SSPs and Tahitians that have high almost metallic luster. I can't remember where, but I once read that uneven surfaces of baroques causes something in the nacre's makeup to pool and make the pearl appear shinier. Or something like that.

Regardless, I think it's really pretty, and it's asking me to buy and turn it into a really unique piece of jewelry.

Recently I purchased 4 of the large silver-bluish SS pearls from John Tu and looked at other larger but blemished pearls from the same lot. This pearl looks similar to me. My pearls are approx 18mm by 14mm by 14mm, baroque drops. One has a loose nuceus and clearly rattles! (I had it half drilled.) The others, I'm sure, have beads, judging by the weight.

Wendy, sounds like you have some awesome pearls there, as usual!

Yes, this pretty one needs your creative touch, Cyndayco!

Whatever it is, Cyndaco, it's pretty :) Pattye ... show and tell those "large silver-bluish SS pearls" for us ... ?

OK, here is a a photo, snapped quickly. Am having problems finding a semi-permanent place to relocate my light box. I like to have it at the ready, and previously I had to stand on a little step stool, NOT a good idea.

OK, OK! These are not the darkest blue silver, but definitely blue. That is a blue SS bracelet behind. (from Druzy years ago.) Three are drop shape, one is puffy shape! No blems, the dark spots are just shadows.

P1020837.jpg

I have seen a number of pearls with similar luster/size/color out of Indonesia, which would lead me to speculate they are salt water nucleated pearls. Sven from Augustus Collection may be able to cast some light on this pearly puzzle.

Back