New to pearls - so much to learn

chlodoe

Hello
I was wondering if anyone can start my pearl education off with some information about the pearls in the photos I have attached. It is a necklace with 6mm pearls. They are gritty and cool to touch.
The clasp is stamped Sterling and the front of the clasp is marcasite.
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 27
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 25
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 28
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 28
Welcome to Pearl-Guide!

The photos are all out of focus so it's hard to tell what we're looking at exactly. Could you try again and this time use the close-up setting on your camera? (The flower icon). Don't use flash, and use a matte white background like a paper towel, if possible.

Any history you may have on the pearl strand will also be helpful.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, they are still out of focus. Does your camera have a close-up setting? Most do. You'll have to hold the camera very still.

They could be cultured akoyas or they could be imitation (their roundness is because there is a bead inside, whether they are akoyas or imitations.) The grittiness would normally lean me toward akoyas, but grime could also make them feel a bit gritty.

It will be easier to know what they are if they are clean. Give them a bath in some warm, mild-soapy water, letting them soak for 10 minutes or so, then wipe the pearls clean with a soft cloth. Cotton swabs can be used to clean between the pearls where the grime has accumulated most. Then rinse and wrap them in a soft clean towel to dry.

Then try photographing again. Or just do some other tests:
• Rub one pearl gently against another. If you still feel resistance when rubbing, they are likely akoyas.
• Examine the area around the drill holes. If imitation, there may be swirls of excess coating, although the best imitations (like Majorica) won't have that. Sometimes imitation pearl coating peels away near the drill hole or elsewhere, revealing the glass bead inside (it's usually glass, although very cheap lightweight imitations may have plastic beads, and some imitations have shell beads.) Genuine akoya pearls may also have peeling nacre near the drill holes (and then you can see the shell bead underneath), but the nacre of a real akoya pearl will look thicker than the coating of a fake pearl, where it peels.
• Look at the strand as a whole. Is there any variation in the overtone colors of the pearls? You won't see this with imitations, but you may also not see this with lower-luster akoyas.

Last edited:
Or, you can take a photo from farther away to get it in focus, then crop it before posting. :)

As others have said, a gentle wash and some clearer photos would really help.

Having said that, my gut reaction would be to lean toward imitation, because of the silver clasp. Not a hard-and-fast rule, but you less-often find genuine Akoya with silver clasp (or imitation with real gold clasp, for that matter). But the clasp often gives a good 'hint' as to what you're looking at.

I -think- I can see a fair amount of 'nacre' having come off between the pearls. I say 'nacre' in quotes, because both Akoya pearls (actual nacre) and imitation pearls (whatever the coating was) could display peeling. In either case that wouldn't be good - so one hopes I'm wrong and it's just a combination of dirt/out-of-focus giving that impression.

What looks like peeling could also be grime buildup. I think you won't know what's what until you clean them.

Back