Hello and Help..

bluewillow

Hello. I obtained this gorgeous strand of pearls in an inexpensive box lot at an auction that had a few other 'overlooked' vintage prizes. Most of the other jewelry dates from mid 1940's to mid 60's, so I have no real concise idea of the age, although none of the other pieces appeared to be newer than mid 60's. It measures 24", has 61 uniform pearls that are spaced with a decent tight knot. The clasp, appeared like pot metal with rhinestones(missing center set) but upon cleaning it is marked sterling and I am uncertain as to the actual sets in the clasp as I accidently dislodged 3 of them and they are clear. The color is so luxurious and warm and the luster is so deep, so I think they are real, or darn good imitations. The weight is good, definitely not plastic. I just have no idea what I have. To me they feel gritty on my teeth, but not when rubbed together, others tried and thought maybe a bit gritty rubbed together, but smooth on their teeth. there doesn't seem to be any peeling or obvious signs that they are imitations. I look forward to your input. I plan on keeping them if I get my way and having the clasp reset at least.

View attachment gold ssp 16.5 pic 2View attachment gold ssp16.5View attachment satin white 16.5mm IMAG0624.jpgDeux1

Honestly, I think you got some nice imitations in good condition. They are so utterly alike, and real pearls would not be so alike. The silver clasp with rhinestones argues for an imitation strand. (If they were diamonds, they would not be set in a closed backing, and probably not set in silver anyway.) The reason for their weight is that good imitation pearls have glass beads under the coating rather than plastic. (More recently, some have used shell beads, which are also heavy.)

The test of rubbing the pearls together or on the edge of a tooth is meant to be with a very light touch. It is not so much grittiness that one is looking for as a slight resistance. Grime can also make them a bit resistant, and although these pearls look clean, over the years they may have acquired a light patina just from air pollution. I say, wipe them with a soft damp cloth and test again.

If you still feel resistance, take them to a local jeweler and ask to use their loupe to look at the surface, then compare the appearance of the surface with that of a pearl strand the jeweler is selling. Real nacre is very smooth looking at 10x magnification, while imitation pearl coating is coarser looking.

Sorry I forgot to add that the pearls are approx. 9.5 .
mm in size. I knew I was forgetting something : )

Sorry I forgot to add that the pearls are approx. 9.5 .
mm in size. I knew I was forgetting something : )

That size would have made them very costly if they were real akoya pearls, and they would certainly not have been strung with a sterling clasp set with rhinestones. Freshwater pearls that are round were not around that long ago. This reinforces my belief that your pearls are imitations.

However, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them and wear them! Jackie Kennedy's famous 3 strand pearls were imitations made by Kenneth Jay Lane, as were Barbara Bush's pearls.

Back