Guess the pearl?

Sarah

Okay, so I already know what these are and just where they came from but if I didn't it would be fun to guess! Would I get them right? Probably not, lol! I realized my little collection has grown to the point that they deserved a group photo before they grow up and go their separate ways. And wow, seeing them together like this made it impossible not to smile.

The photo was taken outdoors in natural light on watercolor paper. Any guesses on the pearls?

P6230128 (800x532).jpg

I'll try!

Left to right:

baroque south sea pearl
baroque silver-blue akoya pearl
sea of cortez pearl
round Tahitian
baroque freshwater

I am guessing Tahitian for the fourth one. Pearls are still very new to me but WOW! What a beautiful little family you have there.

I would be seconding Pearl Dreams, though must admit I did not have solution to the pearl on the right. Those pearls would make a one of a kind tin cup - "The Pearl Quest" representing all major sorts

Bluebirrrd~

What fun! I agree with PD, the one on the right is the most difficult to recognize, I'd say. Are you going to drill them?

The second and fourth pearls are half drilled and the center one is fully drilled. I arranged everyone so you can't tell. The fourth pearl isn't actually round, but a nice drop with a circle near the top. You got the bottom view of him!

Some but not all have been guessed correctly! I'll be back tomorrow with the answers...

Those pearls would make a one of a kind tin cup - "The Pearl Quest" representing all major sorts

I love your idea and name, The Pearl Quest, Dizzie!

Baroque SSP, blue baroque Akoya, baroque Cortez, a Tahitian drop, and a freshwater souffle?

I am no good at this!

DK :(

Okay, so I already know what these are and just where they came from but if I didn't it would be fun to guess! Would I get them right? Probably not, lol! I realized my little collection has grown to the point that they deserved a group photo before they grow up and go their separate ways. And wow, seeing them together like this made it impossible not to smile.

The photo was taken outdoors in natural light on watercolor paper. Any guesses on the pearls?

View attachment 23479

Left to right: Maluku South Sea, Tanimbarkei South Sea, Sea of Cortez, Kamoka Tahitian, Australian South Sea

#2 and #5 were the tricky ones, it seems. I had not heard of pearls from Tanimbarkei and was lucky to win it at auction from Agustus Collection. Oh, the blue! I fell in love and it's my new favorite. The Maluku is a favorite too and I would love someday to visit that part of the world. Anyone else watch The Spice Island Saga back in the day?

Interestingly, the Sea of Cortez and (surely) tahitian were the easiest guesses. We are a truly one funny community, if such a rarity as sea of cortez pearl becomes easily recognizable.

So true, you guys had no trouble at all with the SoC!

Tell us more about the varieties of the South Sea! Are those their farm names? I love it when I don't guess right-- means I'll learn something!

Tell us more about the varieties of the South Sea! Are those their farm names? I love it when I don't guess right-- means I'll learn something!

I wish I knew them all down to the farm but I don't. This is from the Eastern Tradewinds website:

"Tanimbarkei / Kei Islands South Sea Pearls

Tanimbarkei / Kei Islands / Maluku Islands (Moluccas) / Indonesia - The remotest place on earth!
The pristine and mineral rich saltwater of the Kei Islands produces these rare and unusual lustrous colors.

The tiny island of Tanimbarkei is part of the Kei Islands and inhabited by less than 1000 very traditional people. Half of the
population calls themselves Hindus, but in fact are more or less practicing ancestor worship.

The Kai Islands (also Kei Islands) of Indonesia are in the south-eastern part of the Maluku Islands, in Maluku Province.

Inhabitants called the islands Nuhu Evav (Evav Islands) or Tanat Evav (Evav Land), but known as Kei for people from
neighborhood islands. "Kai" is actually a Dutch colonial era spelling, still persisting in books based on old resources. The
islands are south of the Bird's Head Peninsula of New Guinea, west of the Aru Islands, and northeast of the Tanimbar Islands.
The small group called Tayandu Islands (also Tahayad) is just west.

The Kei islands are made up of numerous islands.

Kei Besar is mountainous and densely forested. Kei Kecil has the biggest population, and is flat. Actually it is a lifted coral
reef. The capital is the town of Tual. Kei is famous for the beauty of its beaches and pristine waters.

The Kei islands are part of Wallacea, the group of Indonesian islands that are separated by deep water from both the Asian
and Australian continental shelves, and were never linked to either continent. As a result, the Kei Islands have few native
mammals.

Local history holds that ancestors of contemporary Kei islanders came from Bali, part of the expanding Majapahit kingdom
from the western archipelago. The village of Letvuan on Kei Kecil or Nuhuroa Island was the first place that the Balinese royal
family and the army arrived, where they stayed with the local residents. As a result, Letvuan became a seat of government,
where the local law (Larvul Ngabal) - Red Blood and Balinese Spear - is developed by the initiative of the royal princess Dit
Sakmas. Evidence of these ties on Kei Kecil and especially in Letvuan include an inheritance and a harbor named Bal Sorbay
(Bali Surabaya) that is the place where the royals arrived. It is recognized by kai islanders that some of their ancestors also
came from another places such as Sumbawa Island (Sumbau), Buton (Vutun) in Sulawesi, Seram (Seran) and Gorom (Ngoran)
islands in Central Moluccas, and Sultanates of Jailolo (Dalo) and Ternate (Ternat) as well."

I think it's fascinating that this area is isolated from Asia and Australia by deep water and was never attached to either.

Beautiful pearls Bluebird!
Before I scrolled down I was going to guess the last one on the right as a South Sea keshi. The rest I guessed correctly -probably due to the fact that I have spent much time reading/learning from everyone here (and buying from a lot too!!!). Sven has many beautiful pearls and I have been fortunate to "win" many lately in eBay auctions (free drilling is a huge bonus).
Margaret

http://www.simplyadorned4u.etsy.com

Back