Does anyone know about antique Cultured or Natural pastel coloured pearls?

hbyrne

Hello there! This is my first post as I'm new to the forum. I work in antique jewellery and am interested in learning more about natural pearls....I'm wondering if anyone out there would be able to tell me anything about these pearls. They are pastel pink, peach and lilac in colour, measure 4.5 and 3.5mm, and are set in an antique Edwardian ring. Thanks, in anticipation!
photo.jpgphoto1.jpg

hbyrne,

Thank you for sharing the photo and welcome to P-G. Could you please take a couple of photos (close up) with the ring on a plain white background? Perhaps show a side view also? Pink, peach and lilac are natural colors of cultured freshwater pearls.

What else do you know about the history of the ring? Does the ring show wear on the metal, on the pearls? How are the pearls set?

I'm not an antique expert at all, but it is a lovely ring. I am wondering if these pearls might be replacements for the original pearls. Only a lab could determine if the pearls are natural~formed without man's intervention, which would make the ring more valuable.

I'm not an antique expert at all, but it is a lovely ring. I am wondering if these pearls might be replacements for the original pearls. Only a lab could determine if the pearls are natural~formed without man's intervention, which would make the ring more valuable.

that was my first thought, they look like cultured freshwater pearls to me - its very hard to tell without clearer pics though.

Thank you both for your replies, I'll take some pics against a white background. other than that, i think youre right...they might have to visit the lab!

It is hard to see what you mean by peach, pink, lavender, but only freshwater pearls come in those colors, unless they are dyed, which is unlikely. Round freshwater pearls only hit the market in the last 10-15 years. Those look like top of the line, round freshwater pearls, though. If the setting is real, it is high end, and the freshwater pearls were probably the highest quality in those colors to be found at the time. If the setting is Edwardian, the pearls were changed out, unless you mean something different by peach, pink and lavender than I am imagining. They are also very round for old natural pearls, in a ring, which also points to a change out.

Here it is...again made around 1900, bought it in this box and it fits perfectly and feels as tho its been sat in there for years! These too are perfectly round...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hi Caitlin, thank you...that's all really helpful information. The pearls in this ring are quite an obvious (if pastel) colour and I've never seen pearls like this in an old ring. However, I do also have a brooch circa 1900, in what looks to be its original box which also has coloured pearls, these are a more subtle gold, coffee and pink/grey. I think I may have to bite the bullet and pay for an examination! image.jpgimage.jpg

Back