Help me ID these pearls.

Caitlin

Hi all. I saw these online. They are definitely freshwater pearls. They do look old and are being sold as old.

Do you think they could possibly be old? By which I mean NOT cultured Chinese freshwater pearls, but something else.

I am wondering and would like to get opinions from one and all. Think of it as a game. Your wildest guesses would be appreciated.

unknown pearls.jpg

My opinion is that they look like Chinese freshwater pearls. Maybe as much as ten years old, probably more like five. They might be quite a bit older, but I would be shocked if they were Japanese or American. Are you thinking gulf pearls? How much are they asking for them?

No. I know they are freshwater. They come on an 8ct gold clasp, broken, and two of the 4 strands at 32" each, are broken. He is asking $225 or so. I don't want to buy them, they look they were made dirty on purpose. I think they are super overpriced, but we have seen people buy stuff they think is old before... So do you think is is a bit of a scammy way to ask over $50 a strand, instead of $10. a strand? He sells vintage stuff, but no other pearls, so he may got them from a seller who fancied them up like that to pass as old, worn vintage.

I saw some other very similar pearls sold from Latvia as being "Russian" natural freshwaters. Strack says there is such a thing, but no photos. Have you ever heard of any? I saw a lot of Russians, grabbing up Chinese freshwater pearls in India, where they cost considerably more than online stores.

Totally agree with you Caitiln. They look like freshwaters and either made dirty on purpose or have been "enhanced" poorly. $225 is way crazy! Maybe they are from a lake in Siberia :)

Back