Orienta start-her-necklace & Mallorca

L

lauriej71

I was recently given my mother's Orienta start-her-necklace. I don't know anything about these pearls or how valuable they are. The box says "Orienta cultured pearls" and an insert says "additions for 'start-her-necklace'" with a chart on the back to list the additions. The 14K necklace has 14 5mm pearls on it. Does anyone have any info on this "brand" of necklace? I can email pictures if it will help.

Also, I was given a vintage pearl necklace that is in a box that says "Genuine Mallorca Jewelry" I have compared it to other Mallorca strands online and the clasps are alike . Pearls are 7mm and strand is 15" I also have pics of this one.

Can anyone help me with info on these two "brands"?

Thanks!

Orienta is an add-a-pearl brand. I have only been able to find one reference to the company online and one jeweler selling the kit.

Mallorca is a type of man-made pearl. But it is considered a high-end fake, and can go for quite a bit of money.

Fake pearls

Fake pearls

View attachment 46728
Orienta is an add-a-pearl brand. I have only been able to find one reference to the company online and one jeweler selling the kit.

Mallorca is a type of man-made pearl. But it is considered a high-end fake, and can go for quite a bit of money.

I was in Mallorca. These Mallorca (fake) pearls were hand dipped 32 times. The cost for a first tier strand was hundreds of dollars. It does not make sense to buy them when the warranty is for 10 years. Buy the real pearls for approximately the same price and will last a lifetime.

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Imitation pearls have had their place in the hearts and jewelry wardrobes of many women, celebrities, presidents wives and have been favored in the past by top jewelry designers. I always think of the famous photo of Jacqueline Kennedy with toddler John playing with her KJL imitation pearls. Imitation pearl necklaces were treasured as if they were cultured pearls. The prevalence of inexpensive cultured freshwater pearls in the last 25 years has probably made a big difference in popularity. Some women prefer to travel with imitation pearls, copies of their own more valuable strands. Swarovski (brand) pearls are very popular with crafters.

As long as the "fakes" are represented correctly, NOT "South Sea Shell Pearl," I have no problem with them.

I feel the same way as Pattye. I have an assortment of Majorica brand pearls that I enjoy wearing from time to time, and was even married wearing a Majorica strand (years ago!)

While they are pricey if bought new in stores like Neiman Marcus, Saks and Nordstrom, you can sometimes find a great deal online -- closeouts, etc. My 12mm "Tahitian" colored Majoricas cost a small fraction of my genuine Tahitians. And then there are these fun huge baroque Majoricas... I won't be buying genuine SSP in that size! ;)

Of course they have to be sold as the imitations they are.

Attachments

• 12mm Majorica 16%22 multicolored strand.jpeg
    12mm Majorica 16%22 multicolored strand.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 33
  • huge Majorica pearls resized.jpg
    huge Majorica pearls resized.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Awww, that's so sweet of your Mother, JP, a triple strand akoya, very lovely!

PD, I'm wild about those HUGE baroques and the multicolor is beautiful also!

My Mother wore a long strand of imitation white pearls, individually knotted. She probably was in her 70's when Dad surprised her with a pretty strand of cultured akoyas.

Thanks Pattye! (Can you just imagine what the baroques would cost if they were real pearls? :eek: )

That is so sweet, JP. <3

Wouldn't it be awesome to own ssps that size? Wowza!!! I'd have to build up my neck and shoulder muscles before wearing it out!

''Fake'' pearls can be treasured by the owner.. I say if you love them.. who cares where they are from..

I visited my extended family whom I haden't seen for many years and they had no idea that I have been crossing the world in search of salt water pearls.. when my auntie produced the necklace my grandfather gave her as a present many years ago.. it was clear to me by weight, feel and looks that these where no shell grown pearls.. still they looked really good around her neck..

I would say get yourself some beautiful pearls farmed in a far a way atol but if you love your jewelry then you go rock them hahah.. some shell pearl strands I have seen on ladies neck looked beautiful.. just rock what you love wearing :)

I just checked Majorica website. A strand of Tahitian like pearls costs about €385. Gulp!

I just checked Majorica website. A strand of Tahitian like pearls costs about €385. Gulp!

I would never recommend buying them at retail. Look for clearance and discontinued styles online, and check eBay, Etsy etc.

Majorica brand is both popular and imitated, so watch out for other brands whose names look similar. (Majorca, Mallorca, Joia de Majorca etc.) You may have to search for a while before you find the particular style, color, size you want at a price you like.

PD, with that sum I'd rather spend it on real pearls. And don't feel like buying faux except for beadwork crafts.

I misunderstood you, then.

But I would not spend anything like that sum on imitation pearls either! No way! :eek:

My mother has a Mallorca necklace and earrings that look like baroque Tahitian pearls. She paid a lot of money for them and they are gorgeous. Fake, but I'd wear them.

Back