Selling Mikimoto Pearls on eBay

MaryK

I have listed a 22" strand - Lariat style necklace and earrings on eBay. IMG_2419.jpg

This listing price for both is $3,700 new they would be $5,450.

If contact through this forum versus eBay the price would be $3,450.00

All paperwork and packaging from purchase would come with this purchase. They were bought in 5/09 and worn about six times.

I'm new to this forum and found it via Pricescope.

Be sure to purchase Signature Confirmation (not merely Delivery Confirmation), and insure them fully, for your own protection! Good luck!

Hi MaryK
Welcome. We don't usually take ads in the first post. Better to post in "What kind of Pearls do I have?"(and how much are they worth) and state you will list them on eBay.

Did you check the completed listings for 22" Mikimoto? The highest priced one sold in the last 90 days was $1,200 in the section for 22"mikis.

However none had the box. It sounds like you have the paperwork. You need to make that clear in your ad, because it enhances the value to have a bill of sale or Miki Certificate (if they give them out). Even a photo of the certificate or bill of sale or whatever will take your necklace way out of the realm of the other mikis. However, the moment you walked out of the store, they lost about 75% of their value if you sell them to a reseller, if you could find one. You would probably get 30% of their original sale price at an auction house after fees.

The only way you get even near the price you want, is for a person to buy them from you on Ebay as a gift or for personal wear. The paperwork will make your authenticity stand out, so you may be able to get a couple of grand, even $2,500. The only thing that makes it more valuable is the brand name. Otherwise that strand would go for less. Here is a sold listing for the best price on eBay. $1,789.00- but if you read the listing the seller took a lower offer. This was listed under pearl necklaces "22", so I just found it. That makes the $2500 price likely to sell.

Go ahead and keep your starting price, but add photos of the paper work. The new appraisals have to be for resale price, not insurance price. Retail is about 25% of an insurance appraisal.

There were already photos of the paperwork, but you can't see them unless you scroll down in the photos. (There are 9 photos.)

I suggest you specifically state what the paperwork says in the listing (A1, 6.5-7mm strand, 22 inch, 18K white gold clasp with diamonds etc., 7-7.5mm AA earrings, 18K gold etc.).

State that people need to scroll down to see the photos of the paperwork-- it is really easy to miss it.

Thank you so much for all the feedback. As you know I'm new here..but post often in Pricescope. I found this site via pricescope where it was recommend.

I listed the price based on two things: One there was a strand listed for $3,800 on the site and I also included the earrings in my price. If you could recommend a price based on the set I would greatly appreciate it.

The paperwork is actually being updated by the jewelry store. I figured people would want newly dated apprasials and I do mention new apprasials will joing the auction. I just don't have them back yet as I had to order them.

Thank you again!!!

That is why you check completed listings. That is what they are selling for, not what people hope to get as on the red completed listings. Those did not sell, if they are red. The completed listing are full of unsold items and the reason is almost always that the price is too high.

But, start where you are and see what happens. I'll go back and scroll down. I did and there are no more photos. Do I have the wrong listing? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKIMOTO-Pearl-Necklace-Lariat-22-Strand-Matching-Pearl-Earrings-/150986811443?pt=US_Fine_Necklaces_Pendants&hash=item232783e833

I went to the enlarged photos and saw ir.

Last edited:
Thank you.. this is very helpful. I did go and lower the price to $3,600 and I am open to offers and will likely list the next time with Best offer. Forgive me for being a newbie.. on the diamond side the general rule if you have quality and paperwork.. in that case a GIA it would be about 70% of retail. I guess in pearls this would not be the case. I would like to sell them.. sadly I just don't wear them and they are too beautiful to sit in my jewelry safe.

Again.. I so very much appreicate your feedback and the time you have taken to respond and the link provided.

That is the right listing.
There are 2 photos of the paperwork (appraisals) there on that listing. The photo section has its own little scroll feature-- look for the little blue button to the right of the small photos, under the large photo.

As recommended I went and looked up "completed" listings. Thank you.. I didn't know I could do this. Again, based on the information provided from the forum I lowered the price again for the set to $3,250.00. Again.. thank you for the suggestions and feedback. :eek:

Thank you.. this is very helpful. I did go and lower the price to $3,600 and I am open to offers and will likely list the next time with Best offer. Forgive me for being a newbie.. on the diamond side the general rule if you have quality and paperwork.. in that case a GIA it would be about 70% of retail. I guess in pearls this would not be the case. I would like to sell them.. sadly I just don't wear them and they are too beautiful to sit in my jewelry safe.

Again.. I so very much appreicate your feedback and the time you have taken to respond and the link provided.

Hi!
I'm a major Mikimoto fan, and if I may make some suggestions to help you sell your items. Here are my thoughts:
- First, people who buy Mikimoto buy it for the brand, like myself. Therefore, we are picky and we want things to match. The necklace and earrings are a mismatched set. The necklace is 6.5-7mm A1, but the earrings are 7-7.5 AA. The size is off as is the grade. The A1 is the lowest grade, while AA are gorgeous and have very good luster and nearly zero blemishes. (AAA are out of this world, but ridiculously expensive, but they are like glass). The size doesn't match, and while some people won't notice the .5mm difference, a Mikimoto purist may. I myself have matched sizes for my necklaces and earrings. And finally, the color is different I think. The earrings appear to have a pinkish undertone, while the lariat appears to have a silver undertone. So... I would suggest maybe splitting up the two pieces and selling them separately because they are not a set. Plus, I think you can get more money for your AA studs compared to retail as opposed to your A1 lariat.

- Also, your appraisal is not a genuine Mikimoto appraisal. To a purist, that makes a big difference. A Mikimoto appraisal demonstrates they are authentic and not fake, which many on ebay I'm sure are fake. Do you have the original little tags that came with the necklace and earrings and also the little certificate? That would greatly help, even if you don't have a Mikimoto appraisal. My opinion... it's better not to show an appraisal if it's not a Mikomoto appraisal. As we all know... appraisals mean nothing, especially from a local jeweler who's opinion is subjective. Please also note...there is a huge difference in Mikimoto pricing for an A1 grade vs. an AA grade. So for me, I wouldn't take anyone's word that it's a AA without an official Mikimoto appraisal. Without an official Mikimoto appraisal, in my mind... I would think it is an A1 quality (the lowest) and in my mind, if I were to pay for a used Mikimoto without any official Mikimoto appraisal, I would only assume in my mind it as the lowest, A1. It's like saying your Tiffany diamond is an E color, but you have an appraisal from a local jeweler, and not directly from Tiffany. With diamonds, GIA is valid, but with pearls, there is no standard, so to sell something Mikimoto, you need to have a real Mikimoto appraisal (which by the way, they are $50.00 for each item). Having said that... when you buy a Mikimoto piece, as you know since you purchased these two items, you do not get an offiical appraisal like you do with a Tiffany diamond. So, it is okay not to show an official appraisal, and I think it's even better than showing an appraisal from a local jeweler.

- Which brings me to the most important point... if you only do one thing... this is a MUST... your photos do not show any authentic Mikimoto hallmark on any of your pieces. You say they are Mikimoto, but where are the markings? That is the ONLY way a person can tell if your pearls are genuine Mikimoto. On the earrings, you should show a photo of the earring posts with the Mikimoto logo. It's tiny, but you will find them. Show both posts. Only then will someone believe you. Just showing the pearl itself really doesn't mean anything. Same thing for the neckace... show the Mikimoto logo and I think you will get more hits.

I hope this came across as helpful and not critical... I'm just trying to help you in what I would look for as a Mikimoto buyer. Even buying the pearls directly from a Mikimoto boutique, I still check for the hallmark on each piece! (crazy I know). Good luck to you!

By the way, one final thought.. I absolutely love Mikimoto pearls. They are second to none, and even an A1 grade glows. AA is gorgeous and near perfection... almost like glass reflecting back at you (look at your studs... you can almost see yourself... perfect spheres, nearly zero blemishes). I have several strands as well as earrings and I love and wear my pearls often.. with jeans and casual mostly. Pearls are not just for dressup, and lariat is very pretty. Perhaps you can find a way to love your Mikimotos. They are truly the reference in my mind. But... if you don't wear them, then sell them.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Back