What are these?

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
Hi all
I've been working with someone here in the UK who is planning an alternative medicines course and needed powdered pearls. That was no problem. He told me that his previous supply had come from japan where he had been given these (see the attached photos)
Now I don't know much about akoya pearls but these look well, pretty poor stuff. Can anyone identify or inform more? I'm thinking pretty much junk pearls and a lot of nuke..?
tks
andrew's 1.jpgandrew's 2.jpg

Those are exactly the kind of pearls Strack mentioned that get ground up for pearl cosmetics and the like. I think that now the freshwaters would be easier to powder because there is no MoP bead.

Those are exactly the kind of pearls Strack mentioned that get ground up for pearl cosmetics and the like. I think that now the freshwaters would be easier to powder because there is no MoP bead.
mmmh, wouldn't grinding pure MOP be more "cosmetic" than grinding rejected pearls with organic compounds? What I mean is, the hardness of both would be similar, BUT the cosmetic aspect of the product would definitely recommend using a material that is not filled with organic material. From experience, those pearls are of low quality due to bacterial contamination. MOP tends to be void of contaminant.

FW would be as inappropriate given a similar degree of contaminant. no?
Or do you refer purely to the mechanics of grinding?

Or do you refer purely to the mechanics of grinding?

Grinding destroys the extracrystalline structure of pearls to calcium carbonate power. You'd get identical results grinding shells. Both are "bio-mineralized" compounds. Shells win the viability case v pearls, but lose against earth CaCO3, which is a few dollars a ton in most places.

Medicinally, pearls and shells would contain multiple impurities, but it could be argued these enhance or may even provide the singular beneficial property in a manufactured suppliment. The lime to corn thing, if you will, relating to amino acids and complete proteins. Not to mention trace elements... etc.

Years ago, I was dealing with a fish buyer who bountied things for cosmetics. Abalone shells were among them. We thought we'd buff our harvest by gathering them with the live ones, but his contact got back to us and told us not to bother. We could have produced tonnes, but they didn't want them at any price.

Grinding destroys the extracrystalline structure of pearls to calcium carbonate power. You'd get identical results grinding shells. Both are "bio-mineralized" compounds. Shells win the viability case v pearls, but lose against earth CaCO3, which is a few dollars a ton in most places.

Medicinally, pearls and shells would contain multiple impurities, but it could be argued these enhance or may even provide the singular beneficial property in a manufactured suppliment. The lime to corn thing, if you will, relating to amino acids and complete proteins. Not to mention trace elements... etc.

Years ago, I was dealing with a fish buyer who bountied things for cosmetics. Abalone shells were among them. We thought we'd buff our harvest by gathering them with the live ones, but his contact got back to us and told us not to bother. We could have produced tonnes, but they didn't want them at any price.

No my point is I would not consider as appropriate "rejected pearls" for medical use.
I am nor referring to nacrein of lipids or any other compound that may be beneficial, but to the organic compound filled with bacteria that is found in some rejected pearls. That is the kind of supplement I would not consider illegible for medical use.

This akoya are used for medicinal use after taking out the nucleus , the nacre is used to make traditional Indian and Chinese medicine.

I too would be concerned about contaminants, the general concept in both traditional Indian and Chinese medicine has to do with balance in the body and the removal of imputrities, especially if we are referring to the Ayurvedic system of India. It would seem to me you actually would want to be grinding as pure a pearl material as possible with of course no fillers or nucleus. I guess the powder could be radiated in some way to kill any bacteria, but that process is frowned upon by almost all varieties of alternative medicine as well. I had always wondered how they do purify the medicinals made from pearls, metals, etc. One of the reasons I have never been brave enough to take any of this type of supplements. Would love to hear more from anyone involved with these procedures

Daddys Little Girl

Antiques Jewelry & Sacred Treasures

Ayurveda and Rasa Shastra

Ayurveda and Rasa Shastra

Thank you Wendy for adding my pictures and asking the question, I am happy the community was able to shed a little more light on this aspect of the work. I have read the above comments with interest, its always good to get feedback from experts on these types of question. One branch of Ayurveda, known as Rasa Shastra considers the use of minerals, metals and gemstones to be excellent sources of medicine. Generally they are converted into bhasma (a type of alchemical ash) using a rather protracted series of heating techniques over a period of months, even years to produce a material fine enough to enter the body at a cellular level and deliver their healing potential. Pearls were considered to be a gemstone by the ancients due to their rarity, however modern bulk producers of these remedies don't have time to go pearl diving all day and so rely on cultured varieties.

I get asked to demonstrate how to reduce different types of material into what could be called their alchemical form (for want of a better word) and my question to Wendy was what she thought of the samples I got from a company in Okinawa. It seems the general census is: pretty poor. Of course the processing was just to demonstrate - not to end up with finished medicine. But now I have this wonderful resource to call upon, perhaps someone might have some thoughts on what Ayurvedic texts say about Mukta (pearls).

It seems the oceanic variety were considered superior to their freshwater cousins. I would imagine that the nacre was the active ingredient and so just wanted to clarify if the natural ocean pearls would have a greater or lesser amount of nacre on them as opposed to the natural freshwater ones?I think its an interesting question?

To answer one question posted about possible health issues /contamination. The heating process used in these remedies can be in excess of 800c so no problems, also if M.O.P (which is also a medicine in Rasa Shastra called Sukti) is used to create the bead/nucleolus (did I get that right?), it’s also has accepted medicinal qualities and so no problem to have it included in the material. Due to the processing of many alchemical remedies its almost impossible not to have some level of contamination present, even the best samples often have variations and hidden elements present. Interestingly all these materials (of animal origin) have different properties, cowrie shell is quite different in its action to pearl (one is heating the other cooling). Even though they are both essentially calcium carbonates they have different effects on the body.

I had an XRD analysis done on the finished bhasma of pearl and found it to be comprised mostly of: calcium, potassium, carbon with trace elements of sodium, phosphorus and sulphur -so all in all - quite a bag of goodies!

I would also like to know if anyone has come across types of pearl and knows anything of their compositions. Ayurveda says there are nine types - these include snake, boar, conch, elephant, bamboo, whale, fish, oyster and cloud (the last one has me beat I must admit). I found some images on the net, but not much useful data. I expect the team knows something of these things, I would be very interested to hear anyone's comments.

I attach a picture of my (poor) Akoya pearls during their processing.
Thanks for your time on these questions, I understand their are probably a bit weird - but it’s an odd world out there and someone has to do this work........ha

Andrew
image 1 shows pearls after a single heating session
image 2 shows pearls after 3 heating sessions, being mixed with raw milk.Perals.jpgPerals2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Netera
Thanks for that interesting post. We haven't explored this aspect of pearls very much.

As for the other types of pearls you mention:

I would also like to know if anyone has come across other types of pearl and knows anything of their compositions. Ayurveda says there are nine types of moti - these include snake, boar, conch, elephant, bamboo, whale, fish, oyster and cloud (the last one has me beat I must admit). I can find some images to the others on line but not much useful data - I expect the team knows something of these things, I would be very interested to hear.

These types of "pearls" vary. Mollusks definitely make pearls. Fish pearls could be from the fish's eyes which make pearly looking globes. I expect a "cloud" pearl is probably a mustika pearl. There is a mustika site online, or it was. I haven't been over there lately. Most of the pearls on that site look like they are made out of silica, but they are represented as authentic. Which makes me think that they are manufactured, although in a sacred way, since no organism can produce silica out of it own body.

Mustikias are most likely produced to represent the energies of its name for spiritual purposes. They are talismans rather than biological objects, but they are authentic within the medical framework of the culture. It is well known that objects can stand for certain energies and can have the same effect as if it were real. As for elephant pearls, gaja mukta, the only ones examined by science have marks of workmanship on them. I have heard there is an elephant living today that when it raises its tusks, or lowers them, some kind of object can be heard rolling up and down, so elephant pearls are a very, very rare artifact. I hope to see what the objects look like after the elephant is dead. This leads me to think that most elephant pearls are manufactured as mustikas, and thus have the same spiritual significance as if they were real. Mustikas create the energy needed in the person who was prescribed them.

An example is that Gaja Mukta create a prosperity energy in its owners. An attitude like this happens, because of confidence of the belief in elephant energy induces prosperity, not because the object has scientific properties- though it may- but because of how the human mind works.

I hope I do not offend you with this answer. I have been sincerely interested in this phenomenon since I was a kid living in the Navajo Nation, and got to observe their healing beliefs in action. I even majored in anthropology and minored in psychology precisely to quest for an understanding of how beliefs actually dictate how a society operates. I have never abandoned this quest in the 50 years since I graduated. (my 50 year reunion is coming up this fall) This view represents my best understanding to this point.

Amazing and so quickly answered...........
I'll investigate the Mustikias. I have not seen any of the other pearls in person, so I am open minded about them. Asia is a wild place and its easy to get lost chasing butterflies - but I did see some wild stuff, so maybe cobra pearls and boar pearls are really out there. If you have any useful links for worked elephant pearls would love to have a look.

For now (Wendy) has been super helpful and introduced me to this resource - so all in all, a great find!
Andrew

Ah, just found Mustikias / Bezoar Stones.
This may present a problem as these items are already mentioned and also medicinally prepared in Rasa Shastra and the Arabic tradition (Unani / Tibb). The only description I have is this: "Mineral based pearls with a distinctive spiral pattern running about their circumference". I found this website also, but maybe not so clear - http://www.divinenet.arthost.biz/generic.asp?p=10&i=151
Thanks for your input - I'll keep searching.

Andrew
PS: another post mentioned the use of pearls in a astrological capacity, traditionally both Ayurveda and Jyotish (Vedic Astrology) are sister sciences so for instance pearls would also be worn to provide the same healing benefits. As pearls are ruled by Chandra (Moon) they maybe prescribed by a healer if the Moon in your natal horoscope was afflicted by a malefic planet, say Saturn etc. I guess its better to wear a nice pearl than powder it - but both it seems were options.

Last edited:
Can't fine some of my ayurvedic texts right now, I also have some Tibetan medical books, but did come across my copy of "Gems therapy" by Mahan Vir Tulli, pulished in Delhi 1994. He states "Pearls coming from Basrah and Gulf countries and Mediterranean region are of pure quality and highly beneficial......" ( he goes on to name its uses for health, wealth, etc.). So at least this author believe the quality should be high. But in this instance, one is not consuming ground up pearl, but rather wearing the pearl material mounted in silver or white gold metal in such a way that the lower part of the pearl touches the body. This science is based in India not on ayurveda for health but rather more in line with the Indian system of astrology, wearing various gemstones to mitigate negative planets in one's birth horoscope. Obviously this author was I assume referring to natural pearls ? Again the gulf war may have caused some pollution problems in that area.

Daddys Little Pearl

Found one other of my gem therapy books, this one from 1957 again printed in India, "Gem Therapy" by Benoytosh Bhattacharyya, and under Pearl, I quote " Pearl is a shining gem found in several kinds of shell-fish but mostly in mother of pearl oyster. Pearls coming from Persian Gulf, Basra, mediterranean regions are well known for their high quality and lustre. The pearl that is milky-white and bright belongs to the water principle and is suitable for gem therapy. Pearls of regular shapes and perfectly round and oval ones are very costly if heavy in weight, but there is another kind known a BEDOL type of odd shapes, which is sold quite cheap and is quite suitable for preparing gem medicines because of its brightness. Japanese cultured pearls are also suitable for our purpose. " So obviously this gem therapy book is based more on the ayurvedic medical system than the astrological and more closely aligned with the original question of pearls to be ground up for medicinal uses. Hope this is helpful. I have many more such books if I can find them

Daddys Little Pearl

I never actually saw anyone preparing pearls in India or Sri Lanka, they were much more likely to be making MOP, Conch or Cowrie Shell bhasma's. I can't say what grade of pearls are used but a friend of mine who studied in Nepal said they were using cultured pearls from Japan. Pearls are considered to be a gemstone so are automatically included in all works on Jyotish, if pearl is not available they'll use moonstone (which can also be prepared as a bhasma). Its interesting the book you mentioned states that Japanese Pearls are suitable - this at least confirms their open use. My feeling is that allot of what passes for pearl bhasma is probably a mix of pearls, conch and MOP. If you have any more books on this subject please forward the titles as its all good research information. Thanks!

Wendy said it worth asking if anyone new these types of pearls - I got them in Japan (Kusatsu City) near Lake Biwa. I used some of these to make bhasma and the results were identical with the akoya samples.
Freshwater-Pearls.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Sorry I misspelled Mustika in that last post.

Here is a quote from a musika site with lots of caveats
We would also like to remind the Users of these occult objects that they are simply media whereby divine blessing may pour into our lives. By themselves they are powerless
[/FONT] http://www.bezoargeligapearls.com/

[FONT=&quot]I looked at a few of these mythological pearls. The fairy pearl is obviously silica as are most of the others. I say most, because some of them really are pearl-bearing mollusks. The fossilized amphibian may be real, unless they are selling several of them.[/FONT]
http://www.bezoarmustikapearls.com/

This site has so many mustika pearls, it is unbelievable.http://www.bezoargeligapearls.com/mustika_collections.html (scroll down. The fantasy pearls such as "fairy" are typically made of silica-glass. There are many from fantasy -like the dragon pearls. As I look at these lists, including animal, mythical animals, tree and flower pearls mountain pearls, lake pearls. These pearls all look like silica, albeit of superb craftsmanship. How about the bee hive pearls and the honey pearls? manufactured, all. Lightning, thunderbolt, sky, dew, river. all silica except the beehive pearl which look like thay are made of agate or something similar.

Ok, it is time for some Occam's razor.

• .The shamans who produce these pearls are said to go into a trance where they are told the location of the pearls. The shaman then goes and gets them in the forest. Nowhere does it say they get them from the critter itself. So, what I read in here is that there is a elaborate ritual involved in producing those pearls which include burying them in the forest to be "found".

• .The pearls themselves, without exception, look like silica or natural stone ie agate. Some of the fossilized ones may be just that, but the vast majority look manufactured. After you look at some of the fantasy pearls, look at some of the "real" pearls. Is there any difference? A good example is the fish pearls, http://www.bezoargeligapearls.com/fish.html . There are a few fossilized fish, though they don't look like the ones I have seen at the gem show. The rest are glass marbles with textured surfaces.

• .Why is there never a mention of pearls found in animals or plants anywhere else except the areas that use these for balancing or healing. Science has never seen a real mustika pearl in any critter, or plant. (Although bezoars are nto under consideration here, some animals, esp. horses develop enormous intestinal stones. My friend with a line of Arabian horses lost one this way. She removed the offending object after the death and it sits on a table in her house. She even wrote a paper about it.Other animals can produce bezoars in their intestinal tracks. Some abalone pearls may be bezoars, though I'm not sure about that.)

So my hypothesis is that NONE of the mustika pearls are natural pearls, but that they are all made by the shamans who find them.Or just plain manufactured for mass production. Different shamans make the same pearls, but the pearls themselves differ from shaman to shaman. The elephant pearls in this site look nothing like other elephant pearls I have seen pix of, which look nothing like each other.

Along with the caveat at the top, it seems clear that the pearls have no active qualities, but that desired qualities are assigned by the shaman in charge of an individual's case and a physical reminder object is presented to take away. I would like this to lighting a candle with a prayer or a wish. A candle is the tangible reminder of the person's wishes or prayer. Looking at the candle reminds you of your resolution or prayer. A cute example of this is Dumbo's feather. A cartoon Disney elephant is born with enormous ears. The plot requires that he fly. He is afraid to try until given a magic feather to hold in his trunk. His faith in the feather allowed him to fly. I think this example illuminates the metaphorical use of physical object to accomplish something.

I have offended believers before with my opinions on this subject. I apologize, if so. I have a scientific POV which deals with reality, not fantasy, though I like a good fantasy as much as anyone, I know it is a fantasy and not true in the physical world. It is true in a psychological POV and this POV is important in healing and balancing an individual, so I am not dissing mustika pearls, I have been contemplating what they really are in the physical world, not their effect when used.

Back