black pearl pendant

plumbernater

I have aquired this black pearl pendant. I am told its a Tahitian its 12.5 mm when measured. Set in 18k gold 4 diamonds one a little larger than the others. I was wondering if any one has seen something like this, and what would some thing like this be worth. Its very beautiful and the ring is a clasp. Im no expert but very excited to have this. Please excuse photos.
IMAG0252.jpg

IMAG0250.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 29
Looks like a Tahitian with a bail that is an enhancer-- that is, it can be opened to be clasped over a pearl strand-- like wearing a pendant on a strand of pearls.

Pearl Dreams got it right! That is a lovely and versatile piece of jewelry. It is wearable on a strand of pearls or one of semi-precious gemstones, like amethysts, which is a popular style this year.

I personally can't value it, but if you want to sell it, the value is considerably less than if you want to insure it. If you sell to any kind of dealer, he has to give you less than the appraised value so he can sell it at appraised value or even with a discount since is it pre-owned. Ebay and other auctions also take a cut for fees -and pawn shops don't love pearls and pay the least. It is unlikely you will find anyone who will give you its replacement value.

People often think they can sell their pearls when times are hard. This is a myth. This has not been true for a century and then, only for natural wild grown and harvested pearls and those mostly to and between the very richest people and the newly poor aristocrats. Cultured pearls loose most of their retail value the minute they leave the store. (That is one good reason to buy new strands from the world class online sellers. They are already selling for a fraction of retail, so you have more realistic expectations about their resale value, which is still less than for new discounted strands.)

It looks like it could use a gentle washing- there is dust gathered around the bail. It is ok to wash the pearl off in running water with some clear shampoo or castile soap if you don't have a brand of pearl cleaner handy.

You may as well just wear it, for it is a lovely piece.

Back