Please help me find out what these are.

msscorrpion

I got these pearls in Lebanon as a gift about 10 years ago. Can anyone tell me what they may be? Thank you

Attachments

• tigerina
    tigerina
    135.9 KB · Views: 29
  • penguin 17
    penguin 17
    139.5 KB · Views: 30
  • margaritifera 5
    margaritifera 5
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
  • pinctada maxima (5.5 grams)
    pinctada maxima (5.5 grams)
    101.8 KB · Views: 31
  • finished blister 3
    finished blister 3
    96.1 KB · Views: 34
Hi, Welcome!

Were you told anything at all about the pearls? (Like they were a family treasure?) The luster is very bright. The clasp appears to be base metal, rather than karat gold or sterling silver.

The timing and the baroque shape makes me think they are early cultured (tissue nucleated) freshwater pearls from China.

Thank you for your repply. I think that these were in a family for a really long time. Do you think that these worth any money?

Hi
What do you mean a long time?

They look like cultured Chinese freshwater pearls. Real as opposed to imitation. The clasp is the least expensive one possible. It is not even silver, so I think these pearls came from China up to 20 years ago. They weren't cultured before that. That aren't worth much money. The replacement value would be around $20.00 though they could have retailed for double that-except for that clasp. That kind of clasp only goes on the least expensive jewelry leaving China.

I like the luster on those pearls, very pretty. I recommend you restring it with at least a silver clasp and wear it or gift it.

back to 1962? There was some production of Biwa pearls starting that year, in Japan. Strack (2004) says they produced almost 2 tons of pearls that year. There was no other freshwater pearl culturing done for freshwater pearls until the 1980's or so,in China. Your pearls have a good luster and could be biwas, it is the clasp that makes me think mass produced and that didn't start happening until the 1990's and became a flood by 2000.

So perhaps they are Japanese cultured freshwater pearls instead of Chinese, but I know of no way to tell for sure, because the mussels used were the same species, I think. Perhaps others can comment.

I checked out ebay and could not find a comparable in a Biwa. The only ones I saw were overpriced and have poor luster, so I doubt they are Biwas at all. At least yours has a Biwa-like luster.

I hope you get them restrung with a sterling clasp. They aren't worth much as a resale, maybe $50.00.

Last edited:
Back