2nd hand pearls

ndownen

Hi Guys,

I was unable to upload my photos using "Manage Attachments", so I have posted them here: http://s1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg623/ndownen/. This is my first post, please be patient with me.

I just purchased these pearls on eBay for $50.00. When they arrived they were a lot nicer than I was expecting for a $50 eBay purchase. Can anyone help me identify them? I bought them from a 2nd hand dealer in Florida who didn't know what they were and was very honest about that. There are a bunch of photo of the pearls, and this is what I know about them:

The clasp is marked 14k, and has a maker's mark, or retailer's mark. The only part I can read spells GAN. The clasp passed the magnet test.

The necklace is dirty, and the string is stretched. Enough so I could look down the drill holes of a handful of pearls with my microscope. Two pearls had a pocket of empty space with dirt inside. One had iridescence everywhere I could see. Two had a something, I think it was a bead, one of these was very difficult to tell where the nacre left off (I'm not experienced in judging nacre thickness), the other was another of the pocket of empty space pearls and I was able to insert a sewing needle and poke around. It's interior material easily scratched and crumbled.

All the pearls show a rainbow iridescence, to one degree or another.

The pearls are cold to the touch, and are gritty when rubbed together. There are 47 pearls of various sizes, and there are very few blemishes, though one has a dimple! The necklace weighs 29 grams, and is approximately 16 inches long.

The pictures were taken in a wide variety of lighting conditions, and the additional jewels, including my grandmother's fake pearls were included in a couple of shots to provide points of comparison. The ring, which my mother used to wear while washing dishes, has a natural Ohio river valley pearl, and the brooch is turn of the 19th-20th century, same as the ring.

I'd appreciate any thoughts you'd like to share, and if this is a cheap strand of pearls, I'll string it myself, if you all think it's a nice strand, I'll consider having a professional do it.

Thanks.

They look like baroque akoya pearls, and the pearl marked "crazing" seems to have lost a bit of nacre (when restringing, omit it or put it near the clasp).

They would look nice restrung, and if you can do it yourself, you will save money. Being baroque their value is less than if they were round, but they are still very pretty.

Thanks for replying. I've enjoyed reading the forums, and it's made me realize how little I know. The pearl marked crazing doesn't look anything like a pearl pendant I was given 41 years ago that does have nacre loss. Could this just be the beginning, when nacre starts coming off?

photos

photos

I'm trying again to add photos.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 41
  • luster.jpg
    luster.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 44
  • micro2.jpg
    micro2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 40
  • mm.jpg
    mm.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 39
  • rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 41
  • sunlight.jpg
    sunlight.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 42
Pearl Photos

Pearl Photos

This is another attempt to post photos here.

Attachments

• cat.jpg
    cat.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 42
  • luster.jpg
    luster.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 46
  • micro2.jpg
    micro2.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 40
  • rainbow.jpg
    rainbow.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 40
  • sunlight.jpg
    sunlight.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 39
  • detail.jpg
    detail.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 39
ndownen,

Yes, I feel you did well with your purchase. The pearls seem to have fine luster, a very interesting clasp, too. As others have said, the pearls need a good cleaning, after that it will be easier to see just how many pearls have no damage, and decide what to do with the others. I hope you find someone experienced to help you rehabilitate these beauties! I agree with others, baroque akoya. Very interesting how the strand changed in different lighting, even more so than I would have anticipated, and I photograph pearls all the time. The other vintage pieces are lovely also. You probably noticed the damage to the prongs on the ring. I don't know why any pearls would seem hollow. Please do let us know what you find out and decide to do with these. Excellent photos, btw!

Back