more inherited pearls from Grandma - natural black pearls?

DawnR

I am another pearl novice with a strand inherited from Grandma. Mine were purchased by my grandfather on a trip to Asia in the mid 1950's. My grandparents lived in Japan in the early 50's and in the Philippines during the late 1950's and my great aunt tells me that these were purchased on a trip my grandfather took to Asia in between that time (so, between 1952 and 1958), while the family was back in the states. My grandfather was in the OSS at the time, and so we don?t know exactly where he visited on that trip, but my aunt thinks Hong Kong was one of the cities he visited then. When he came back, he gave my grandmother what he described as natural pearls and what, more specifically, he called ?black pearls from the South Sea.? From the limited internet research I?ve done, I gather that South Sea pearls refer to the oyster, not the body of water and that South Sea pearls began to be cultured in the 1960's (after these were purchased). So, these might be natural pearls from the South Sea or natural pearls from south sea oysters, or something else entirely. My grandmother had lots of artifacts, treasures, and trinkets from around the world, but these were always her favorite. So, they have special family significance anyway.

It is a string of 50 pearls. The smallest are 5-6 mm; the largest about 9 mm in diameter. They are not at all smooth or uniform in consistency. The shapes are lumpy and off round (to baroque?) and look more like freshwater pearls of today. The color is silver-blue with hints of cream. Even (especially?) with all of the blemishes, they are quite beautiful. The colors are especially lovely. The string is old, yellow, and one of the strands is broken. They do not appear to be knotted in between the beads. The clasp is marked ?sterling.?

I would like to have them re-strung and wear them, but wanted to know what I was dealing with first. Should I bother to have them appraised and insured first? Do I need to have them certified as natural? Or, should I just re-string them and enjoy?

I posted some photos here: http://www.photoshop.com/users/sodawn/albums/ae2d968d16b947f9b38058fa8518847f/slideshow

I used the macro setting, with no flash, but the resolution is still not great. I can have my husband (better camera/ better photographer) take some clearer ones if that would help. But, my questions at the moment are (1) whether it is possible that these are natural saltwater pearls? (2) do I even need to know this? and (3) if so, do I just go to a jewelry store and ask for an appraisal? or do I need some more specialized certification?

thanks to all!

Hi
I am sorry you didn't post the photos here, because this site is forever and online sites seem to always drop their photos after a time, then we are bereft, incomplete, when later questions come along.

My guess, natural color baroque akoya pearls. I have some like that and they are the only akoyas I love (except my akoya keshi).

They need a cleaning and to be restrung!!!

Thanks, Caitlin!

They definitely need to be cleaned and restrung - so that I can wear them.

I also appreciate the thought about them being baroque akoya's. That makes sense. Since they are not knotted, not terribly uniform, and do not have a super high quality clasp, I thought they were likely to be relatively low end. It makes much more sense that they are cultured. I just briefly wondered - because of my grandmother's belief that they were "south sea pearls" and the fact that she owned them from before south sea pearls were being cultured (as far as I can tell from the internet histories).

One more novice question, can I take them to any jeweler to have them cleaned and restrung?

thanks, again!
Dawn

Hi
We moderate the first two posts to weed out spammers.

You might call around and see who does restringing for what price. Usually jewlry stores send them out to be restrung, though a few have one who comes in at need. Ask. Try to get directly to the restringer and cut out the jeweler's small profit. Try calling a local bead store and ask if they know anyone who restrings.

Hi Dawn,

I think your pearls are lovely :) It seems that after many years where white (usually bleached), prefect round akoyas have been at the top of the class, there is a growing appriciation of natural color, baroque akoyas.

- Karin

I too am a fan of natural grey baroque akoyas, and the strand would look a lot better once it has been cleaned and re-strung.

DK :)

Thanks, DK and Karin

I have a strand of perfectly round, very white, akoya pearls as well. They're fine for what they are, but a bit boring. These have much more character. But then, I've always preferred funky to fine when it comes to jewelry.

I'll definitely be cleaning the 60+ years of build up and having them restrung soon.

Thanks for the input.

Dawn,

Congratulations on your pearly family treasure! They are lovely; enjoy wearing them! I agree with the others, baroque natural color akoyas. Hope you'll let us see them after being cleaned and restrung. If you are going to clean them yourself there is lots of info on safe cleaning methods on this forum.

I agree with everyone else - they are absolutely lovely. I, too, don't have much time for the perfect round white pearls, too boring for me.

Maybe your grandfather said "natural color" pearls and the message just got lost over the years. Regardless, your pearls aren't exactly "low end." They're lustrous and the color is natural. Described correctly, they'd likely sell on eBay for more than a similar size and quality strand of round, white akoyas. If they were mine, I'd invest in a more unusual, better quality clasp to really compliment them.

Back