What kind of pearls are these? Anyone know an approx. value?

knemesis

IMG_0388.jpgIMG_0394.jpgIMG_0392.jpgJust found this string of pearls going through family heirlooms and memorabilia. They are all quite different shapes so I got to wondering if they might be worth more than traditional, cultured pearls. I do know that they are real, not faux, and are from the early part of the 1900's but that's about it. Oh, and the pearls are each about 8mm across and there are 45 of them on the strand. Thanks!IMG_0373.jpgIMG_0370.jpgIMG_0364.jpgIMG_0382.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome knemesis,

Interesting pearls, for certain! I think the color of the wood is causing the color to be pinkish in the photo? Could you also put up a close up of the clasp and a couple more of the pearls on a white paper towel? Any other information about their history?

They do seem to be cultured pearls because of their roundness, both baroque and drop shape, and could you please give the size again? And the length of the strand?

Thanks very much!

Thanks for your response! They are actually ever so slightly pinkish, but I took some more photos they way you requested (I posted them in the original post). I really don't know much more about their history, unfortunately. They ended up in a box with a lot of other jewelry passed down from various relatives. Most of the pearls are between 6 and 8mm in length and the strand is 17 inches long. Thanks again!

They look like baroque Akoya cultured pearls. Baroque shapes are typically considered to be of lower quality than rounds.

That said, they are pretty and a sentimental item. Restring them and wear them!

I would love to see the clasp up close! Front, back and the tab close-ups would help. They are lovely.

Thanks for the additional photos, really shows the beauty of your pearls! The clasp seems to be missing the fish hook insert. The nacre appears to be very thick, and from the photos, the pearls seem to be in good condition, but would need to be examined closely to check for cracking around the drill holes and in the nacre.

As Pearl Dreams suggested, they do need to be restrung and a nice clasp added. Round pearls with excellent luster do generally command a higher price than baroque, but many pearl lovers prefer organic shapes.

A true family treasure and conversation piece!

To get a very rough value for your pearls, do a search on ebay for "vintage akoya pearl necklace." You may find a similar strand.

Back