can anyone identify or tell me a bit about these please

nick

The necklace is stamped 925 along with the initials FBM and is approximately 47 inches long. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2012-05-19 23.15.30-1.jpg
    2012-05-19 23.15.30-1.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 36
  • 2012-05-19 23.19.13.jpg
    2012-05-19 23.19.13.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 35
Not certain where you are, Nick, but doing a quick google search of FBM jewelry, came up with this German company, "Friedrich Binder GmbH & Co." The pearl at the top of the photo looks like cultured freshwater. Sterling silver is indicated by .925. Please read here and give us additional information if possible, https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5714.

Last edited:
not a reply just additional info

not a reply just additional info

Yes they feel gritty both against my teeth and each other. They have ring like marks and dimples the smaller ones are a 1/4 of an inch big and fairly round and darker in color(champagne to pastel color) the big ones are a 1/2 inch in size and are more odd shaped. And more white like pastel color.

Attachments

• 2012-05-19 23.19.01.jpg
    2012-05-19 23.19.01.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 54
  • 2012-05-19 23.18.38.jpg
    2012-05-19 23.18.38.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 36
thnks hope this helps just some more pics

thnks hope this helps just some more pics

2012-05-20 08.35.14.jpg2012-05-20 08.35.34.jpg

OK thank u I couldn't find much on the fbm marks just that German company and the only dates on the company date back to 1910 so I don't know I also took them into a local jeweller in town witch I am from California in the valley but anyways they said that they weren't freshwater they were from China otherwise they wouldn't b squatty as he put it but he didn't seem to know what he was talking about either. I thank you for your reply if you happen to find out more about the company please let me know and so for the record I should hold on to them cause if there worth it I'd like to be able to pass them down in the family and maybe they could b around for that much longer.thanks again nick

Oh and you would never guess where I got them I found them at the local thrift store and paid 15 bucks for a bag of mixed costume jewelry cause my wife likes to sell vintage costume jewelry on eBay so I got a bag and out came this necklace. Good find?

Yes! Good find! I love this kind of story! No matter what kind of pearls. Maybe those are saltwater , esp if the piece is older, but it is the entire piece that carries the value. So wear them a lot, then pass them down.

Definitely a good find! Sterling silver is increasing in value, and a necklace in that length with cultured freshwater pearls from China is worth more than $15. If you decide to clean the necklace, first please read the thread about cleaning pearls. Many of the liquid silver tarnish removers will ruin pearls.

Just a quick info on FBM - they are a company specialized on production of chain in various precious metals (both finished and as jewellery supply per meter). Not very high end, but good quality, though. I never heard of them making pearl jewellery. As I previously bought some chains from them, i called up their sales guy. All in all, he said that he doubt that this piece was purchased from them, more likely it was made using their chain.

Dizzie, that was my thought also, and in one of the photos it looked to me like one of the pearls was added to the chain with a little too much silver sticking out of one of the drill holes, usually they would have been tighter there. On this note, many of the costume jewelry makers in the USA , even some low end ones, used cultured and freshwater pearls in some of their jewelry.
Nick, if you can take us a photo using a white paper towel as background, good strong lighting and turn off the flash on the camera, we might be able to give you more information. Regardless, a good buy at 15 bucks.

Back