Wondering what these are.

pcorcor6

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ I've had these for years, handed down through the family. Wonder if they have any value to pass on to my grand daughter.
They are 7mm and the clasp has a mark: metall
IMG_2817.jpeg
​​​​​​​

Thanks for your help!

I have imitation pearls with a clasp that is marked Metall.

Try rubbing two of the pearls together lightly. If they are imitation they will glide easily against each other. Genuine nacre feels a bit gritty instead.

Even if they are imitation, they have sentimental value, so why not pass them on?

I agree. Sentimental value is sometimes understated...and it is still important: an item can retell a particular story of a person in a given time period, and in doing so this person remains alive in the hearts and memories of others.

Back in the day someone's dad saved and saved to buy his daughter pearls for her 21st birthday. It was a strong tradition. But there were no farmed pearls, only imitation or natural. I see these necklaces occasionally. Now discoloured,peeling and battered, they carry the love of generations. That is a value beyond price.

It's the LOVE that's being passed down that's the real treasure, money can't buy.

Back in the day someone's dad saved and saved to buy his daughter pearls for her 21st birthday. It was a strong tradition. But there were no farmed pearls, only imitation or natural. I see these necklaces occasionally. Now discoloured,peeling and battered, they carry the love of generations. That is a value beyond price.

What an incredibly beautiful way to express the value of sentiment!

I very much agree :grouphug:

Back