pearls or what?

Joaz

Community member
I have recently bought on-line this pair of old earnings.

My question is if you think that this are seed pearls or not.

To me they look like very worn out seed pearls, with chalky look and some reminiscent nacre. I did the tooth test and I can say I cannot feel unmistakable texture of pearl nacre.

These are the photos from the seller's add.

Attachments

• photo71240.jpg
    photo71240.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 37
  • photo71239.jpg
    photo71239.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 46
  • photo71241.jpg
    photo71241.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 31
These are made by me.

Attachments

• photo71242.jpg
    photo71242.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 40
  • photo71243.jpg
    photo71243.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 40
Hello Joaz!
They look like seed or small natural pearls to me :)

CortezPearls thank you very much!
I thought so but wanted the opinion of someone with more experience.
Would you leave them as they are or change them with new, good quality, freshwater seed pearls?

Sure thing Joaz.
It depends on what you want, really. Do you like them as they are? If they are natural (and there is a chance they are) I would keep them and if I did not have time to spare: I would keep them too.
But really: it is up to you to decide :)

Pretty earrings! I'd probably just leave them. The work of replacing them might not be one you can do and I doubt it would be worth paying for it. Not to mention trying to get new ones in exactly the right size.

Hi Joaz, I just wanted to add, I agree with Douglas and KarinK ... it would be difficult to replace those pearls with anything else "just right". Not impossible. But you would I think create a "bright white" not so antique/vintage charm as the earrings have now. They are LOVELY as they are; I'd buy and wear those in a heartbeat :) So my vote is love, enjoy and wear them for what they are ... but of course you may prefer otherwise as suits your taste ... there's a pearl style for everyone.

Thank you all for your lovely comments!
I cleaned them a little bit and they look better now! I can see now that that the pearls have a slight grey color/overtone and one has some small blemishes.
I will keep as they are taking into account the pearls can be old natural ones.

Would love to see an updated photo of your earrings since you've cleaned them up a bit! Might lend some clues as to the pearls themselves too, if you are inclined :)

Lovely earrings, as everyone else mentioned, these look like typical natural seed pearls used in the old days. Many of them were set deep inside the metal so taking them out would be difficult. I would rather keep them where they are, very unique and much better than replacing them with cultured pearls in my opinion.

Looking closely at the earrings shot in your hand, the pearls look like they are beaded. The one on the left appears to have a surface concentration of nacre that looks typical to beaded (cultured) pearls. It's hard to be certain from the photos.

I agree though, leave the pearls! These are not easy to switch out and they look great!

Back